List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

I have uploaded a draft regional contacts list to pgFoundry:
http://pgfoundry.org/docman/index.php?group_id=1000047

Please check this information!

First off, I need everyone who is listed on there to confirm that you still
want to be the regional contact (if you haven't already) and that the
information is correct.   We have some new volunteers in some regions;
perhaps people want to discuss whether they want to shuffle responsibility?

Second, we don't have phone numbers for some people.   Reporters tend to be
fond of phoning, in most countries; if there is a phone number you can safely
use, please?     Also, are the URLs for nationalized web sites correct?   Are
there any I'm missing?

Given that there are Czech and Chinese web sites, does anyone know a Czech or
Chinese community member who could be a contact?

Please comment on formatting of names and phone numbers.    Since I mined this
from e-mail, I'm afraid I've stripped out accents and latin characters;
please send me the correctly accented version of your name, if necessary.
Please also send me translations for the following words:
E-mail:
Phone:
Cell Phone: (assuming you list one)

Please e-mail your fixes to me, off list.   I'm keeping all of the contacts in
a database, so I don't want revisions to the document on pgFoundry.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Simon,

> How will you handle the situation that most people's phone numbers won't
> be answered "PostgreSQL", but actually will be various companies? This
> might lead to some confusion - should that be mentioned, or not?

Hmmmm ... good question.

> Could you list me as the press contact for UK & Republic of Ireland?
> Thinks some more...what other countries are missing...

Are you certain that Ireland *wants* to be lumped in with the UK?

> I notice also that we have no press contacts for:
> Denmark - .dk Troels Arvin?
> Netherlands - .nl
> Norway - .no
> Spain - .es there is a "spanish" list, but they're in way different
> timezones...
> Portugal - .po perhaps Armando Halpern?
> Czech Republic - .cz there is a czech list
> Greece - .gr Alexander Antonakakis <alexis@maich.gr>?

I'm a little reluctant to tap people as Regional Contacts if they aren't on
this list, and haven't volunteered.    It's better not to have a contact at
all for a region than to have on who doesn't answer his phone/email -- or
even answers it wrong.

> South Africa - .za Anton de Wet <adw ( at ) obsidian ( dot ) co ( dot )
> za>?

Yeah, he just sent me contact info.

> also there are no contacts from Africa or the Arabic world at all, which
> is not good at this time.

Actually, I just got a potential volunteer from Iran.   Waiting to see if he
wants to do RC.

> Nigeria? - http://www.postgresql.org/news/185.html

Hey, if you know someone there ...

> You're also missing NZ and English-speaking Canada. Perhaps it might be
> politic to list the US and Australian contacts as covering those
> countries also?

Hmmmm ... yeah.  Mind you, if we had a French-speaking Canadian contact, they
would be separate.

> I thought Afilias was actually an Irish company...

Nope.

> I'm in the same timezone as SouthAfrica, and it is common for the UK to
> be associated with Northern European countries (who typically speak
> English better than we do...). It might be an idea to list me as the
> contact for Rep of Ireland, South Africa, Netherlands, Norway, Denmark
> until we find a better spokesperson for each. So list me as "UK &
> Northern Europe".

I'm a bit reluctant to have people covering "beats" that don't include their
actual countries/areas.   After all, have you ever actually *been* to Norway?
Would you be able to travel there to meet someone?   We're a volunteer
organization, not a commercial company with a sales budget.  More than that,
I find that a lot of countries resent having foriegners "speak for" their
country and there could be a negative reaction.

> ...or maybe don't group them together, just have an additional section
> at bottom, saying "if your country does not have a dedicated press
> contact volunteer, please contact one of these regional contacts:
> Northern Europe            Simon Riggs
> Nordic & Baltic            Jussi Mikkola
> Central & Eastern Europe    Ewald Geschwinde
> Southern Europe & Middle-East    Devrim Gunduz

This makes a lot more sense to me.   However, I'd tend to think that people
could figure it out on their own.   What to others think?  We'd also need:

Mexico & Central America        Alvaro
Pacific Islands                Gavin
East Asia                    Shridhar or JPUG

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
Josh,

What I don't understand from our pr-company is that what we expect from
our contact persons. I understand what I do when I promote postgresql in
private IT gathering or answer endless emails, but I don't understand
what could do contact person - alone in huge Russia without any
PR-kit. btw, do we have something like booklet, pens, etc.

     Oleg

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> [...]
> organization, not a commercial company with a sales budget.  More than that,
> I find that a lot of countries resent having foriegners "speak for" their
> country and there could be a negative reaction.
>
>> ...or maybe don't group them together, just have an additional section
>> at bottom, saying "if your country does not have a dedicated press
>> contact volunteer, please contact one of these regional contacts:
>> Northern Europe            Simon Riggs
>> Nordic & Baltic            Jussi Mikkola
>> Central & Eastern Europe    Ewald Geschwinde
>> Southern Europe & Middle-East    Devrim Gunduz
>
> This makes a lot more sense to me.   However, I'd tend to think that people
> could figure it out on their own.   What to others think?  We'd also need:
>
> Mexico & Central America        Alvaro
> Pacific Islands                Gavin
> East Asia                    Shridhar or JPUG

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
Diogo Biazus
Date:
Hi Josh,

My contact is right, but the brazilian PostgreSQL site is missing:
http://www.postgresql.org.br

Regards,

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:37:11 -0800, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have uploaded a draft regional contacts list to pgFoundry:
> http://pgfoundry.org/docman/index.php?group_id=1000047
>
> Please check this information!
>
> First off, I need everyone who is listed on there to confirm that you still
> want to be the regional contact (if you haven't already) and that the
> information is correct.   We have some new volunteers in some regions;
> perhaps people want to discuss whether they want to shuffle responsibility?
>
> Second, we don't have phone numbers for some people.   Reporters tend to be
> fond of phoning, in most countries; if there is a phone number you can safely
> use, please?     Also, are the URLs for nationalized web sites correct?   Are
> there any I'm missing?
>
> Given that there are Czech and Chinese web sites, does anyone know a Czech or
> Chinese community member who could be a contact?
>
> Please comment on formatting of names and phone numbers.    Since I mined this
> from e-mail, I'm afraid I've stripped out accents and latin characters;
> please send me the correctly accented version of your name, if necessary.
> Please also send me translations for the following words:
> E-mail:
> Phone:
> Cell Phone: (assuming you list one)
>
> Please e-mail your fixes to me, off list.   I'm keeping all of the contacts in
> a database, so I don't want revisions to the document on pgFoundry.
>
> --
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

Diogo Biazus
diogob@gmail.com
http://www.postgresql.org.br

Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thursday 18 November 2004 15:47, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > ...or maybe don't group them together, just have an additional section
> > at bottom, saying "if your country does not have a dedicated press
> > contact volunteer, please contact one of these regional contacts:
> > Northern Europe   Simon Riggs
> > Nordic & Baltic   Jussi Mikkola
> > Central & Eastern Europe Ewald Geschwinde
> > Southern Europe & Middle-East Devrim Gunduz
>
> This makes a lot more sense to me.   However, I'd tend to think that people
> could figure it out on their own.   What to others think?  We'd also need:

I tend to think that if we give them a list of the contacts and the specific
countries they cover, then just tell them to contact the person most
appropriate or the main project as they see fit.

--
Robert Treat

Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Oleg,

> What I don't understand from our pr-company is that what we expect from
> our contact persons. I understand what I do when I promote postgresql in
> private IT gathering or answer endless emails, but I don't understand
> what could do contact person - alone in huge Russia without any
> PR-kit. btw, do we have something like booklet, pens, etc.

1) Gather press contact list;
2) e-mail the press release out to the list;
3) answer any questions from the press or public.

That's about it.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 20:47, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Could you list me as the press contact for UK & Republic of Ireland?
> > Thinks some more...what other countries are missing...
>
> Are you certain that Ireland *wants* to be lumped in with the UK?

Of course it does not. Thats a contentious way of phrasing a potentially
sensitive issue, and I am not happy about that phrasing. Nobody said
anything about lumping anybody together with anyone, and I was at pains
to use the official name of ROI, to ensure respect to that country. I
presume you meant no offence, so will say no more.

I had previously publicly stated that I'd cover ROI also, if no
volunteers came forward. None had come forward, so I confirmed my
earlier volunteering.

> I'm in the same timezone as SouthAfrica, and it is common for the UK
> > be associated with Northern European countries (who typically speak
> > English better than we do...). It might be an idea to list me as the
> > contact for Rep of Ireland, South Africa, Netherlands, Norway, Denmark
> > until we find a better spokesperson for each. So list me as "UK &
> > Northern Europe".
>
> I'm a bit reluctant to have people covering "beats" that don't include their
> actual countries/areas.   After all, have you ever actually *been* to Norway?
> Would you be able to travel there to meet someone?   We're a volunteer
> organization, not a commercial company with a sales budget.  More than that,
> I find that a lot of countries resent having foriegners "speak for" their
> country and there could be a negative reaction.

If anybody wishes to veto my suggestion, I have no problem. I also said
"until we find a better spokesperson". Less is better for me, but not
for PostgreSQL: You've edited out my reason for bringing this up:
there's 100 million people in European countries who don't have a
spokesperson listed. I've only suggested taking on some of the smaller
ones off that list.

I wouldn't ever presume to speak about any country other than my own,
but I can speak about PostgreSQL in my almost fluent English, which is
the first or second language in all of those I mention. The alternative
is to appear not to care about those countries.

This arrangement is fairly typical in the European software business.

Central Europe typically speaks German as its second language, except
for Hungary, hence why I didn't offer to back up those countries, yet
suggested who might.

> I'm a bit reluctant to have people covering "beats" that don't include their
> actual countries/areas.   After all, have you ever actually *been* to Norway?

Yes, I've worked in *all* of the countries I suggested covering, at one
time or another, as well as others. That's fairly common in
Europe/Africa, for the reasons I explained.

> Would you be able to travel there to meet someone?

No, but I wasn't intending to travel anywhere in the UK either... is
that likely? (Not least because as you say, this is volunteers only with
no pay).

>  More than that,
> I find that a lot of countries resent having foriegners "speak for" their
> country and there could be a negative reaction.

Completely agree. Do you not see that as the whole reason for my e-mail?

> > ...or maybe don't group them together, just have an additional section
> > at bottom, saying "if your country does not have a dedicated press
> > contact volunteer, please contact one of these regional contacts:
> > Northern Europe            Simon Riggs
> > Nordic & Baltic            Jussi Mikkola
> > Central & Eastern Europe    Ewald Geschwinde
> > Southern Europe & Middle-East    Devrim Gunduz
>
> This makes a lot more sense to me.   However, I'd tend to think that people
> could figure it out on their own.   What to others think?  We'd also need:
>
> Mexico & Central America        Alvaro
> Pacific Islands                Gavin
> East Asia                    Shridhar or JPUG

Yes, definitely. My focus was on the "EMEA region" and Europe in
particular.

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Simon,

> Of course it does not. Thats a contentious way of phrasing a potentially
> sensitive issue, and I am not happy about that phrasing. Nobody said
> anything about lumping anybody together with anyone, and I was at pains
> to use the official name of ROI, to ensure respect to that country. I
> presume you meant no offence, so will say no more.

Sorry!  Taking pains to be sensitive about an issue, instead I was offensive.

> If anybody wishes to veto my suggestion, I have no problem. I also said
> "until we find a better spokesperson". Less is better for me, but not
> for PostgreSQL: You've edited out my reason for bringing this up:
> there's 100 million people in European countries who don't have a
> spokesperson listed. I've only suggested taking on some of the smaller
> ones off that list.

Well, I was hoping to get other people's opinions on this.    I'm of two minds
myself; I'd like to hear some other people weigh in.  If I didn't think it
was worth discussing, I wouldn't have posted a lengthy reply.

> I wouldn't ever presume to speak about any country other than my own,
> but I can speak about PostgreSQL in my almost fluent English, which is
> the first or second language in all of those I mention. The alternative
> is to appear not to care about those countries.

Could be, what do people think?

> > Mexico & Central America        Alvaro
> > Pacific Islands                Gavin
> > East Asia                    Shridhar or JPUG
>
> Yes, definitely. My focus was on the "EMEA region" and Europe in
> particular.

I'm also wondering about Asia.   Unlike Europe, SE Asia (at least) does not
tend to share common "second lanugages" so I'm wondering if recommending a
contact in Japan or India is any better than recommending no contact at all.

--Josh

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> I'm also wondering about Asia.   Unlike Europe, SE Asia (at least)
> does not tend to share common "second lanugages" so I'm wondering if
> recommending a contact in Japan or India is any better than
> recommending no contact at all.

Europe does not really share common second languages either, and I'm
somewhat amused about the language assignments some people are trying
to make in this thread.  Nevertheless, I think the easiest policy is,
if someone wants to cover a particular area, let them cover it, period.
Geopolitical judgements are best done by the affected individuals.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
Shridhar Daithankar
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> I'm also wondering about Asia.   Unlike Europe, SE Asia (at least) does not
> tend to share common "second lanugages" so I'm wondering if recommending a
> contact in Japan or India is any better than recommending no contact at all.

English is no problem in India. Anybody who can send mail knows english enough.
Funnily, if it wasn't the english, we would have real trouble getting across
without additional language education.

AFAIK, there wouldn't be more than 0.5% people who write non-english emails. So
it is OK.

So far as spoken communication, English+Hindi is usually good enough.

  Shridhar

Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
Jean-Christophe Arnu
Date:
Josh Berkus m'expliquait  (le 18.11.2004 21:47):

>Hmmmm ... yeah.  Mind you, if we had a French-speaking Canadian contact, they
>would be separate.

    Maybe I can activate a contact asking him if he agrees... As you wish

--
Jean-Christophe

Date:
On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 07:01, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > I'm also wondering about Asia.   Unlike Europe, SE Asia (at least)
> > does not tend to share common "second lanugages" so I'm wondering if
> > recommending a contact in Japan or India is any better than
> > recommending no contact at all.
>
> Europe does not really share common second languages either, and I'm
> somewhat amused about the language assignments some people are trying
> to make in this thread.  Nevertheless, I think the easiest policy is,
> if someone wants to cover a particular area, let them cover it, period.
> Geopolitical judgements are best done by the affected individuals.

I disagree... Most European countries currently have a very clearly
defined second language - not always the ones that people might expect
either; Hungary and the UK were somewhat exceptional for differing
reasons. This isn't true of individuals, but is currently true of entire
countries - of course, journalists either do or do not speak particular
languages. My information about languages was taken from published
analyses I had read in the past about preferred business languages in
Europe, not on any prejudice or opinion.  I'm glad that amuses you, it
wasn't the most amusing thing I'd read...but useful to know.

My main point was about how we cover the countries that don't have
specific cover. Discussing a plan to address that issue is bound to make
me sound like a racist bigot, especially from an essentially unilingual
person as myself. I see that, but say that racism forms no part of my
viewpoint.

BUT: 100 million Europeans are not covered - yet we do actually in many
cases support translations for those countries. I've not heard an
alternative suggestion mentioned as to how we might reach out to those
countries.

If there is one, then I will quickly defer to it.

--
Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 12:47:01PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > You're also missing NZ and English-speaking Canada. Perhaps it might be
> > politic to list the US and Australian contacts as covering those
> > countries also?
>
> Hmmmm ... yeah.  Mind you, if we had a French-speaking Canadian contact, they
> would be separate.

If we don't have anyone from Canada, and are going to stand on the
"European French" listing, then I can take Canada.  I'd _really_
prefer to point Canadian fraoncophones at the European francophones,
though, because while I can happily talk jouale for hours, my
technical French is flat-out bad.  And the English Canadian press is
used to talking to Americans about technology.

> > I thought Afilias was actually an Irish company...
>
> Nope.

Actually, yep.  Afilias most certainly is an Irish company.  It's
just that most of our technical folks work from our Toronto office.

> > I'm in the same timezone as SouthAfrica, and it is common for the UK to

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
        --Dennis Ritchie

Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> If we don't have anyone from Canada, and are going to stand on the
> "European French" listing, then I can take Canada.  I'd _really_
> prefer to point Canadian fraoncophones at the European francophones,
> though, because while I can happily talk jouale for hours, my
> technical French is flat-out bad.  And the English Canadian press is
> used to talking to Americans about technology.

Isn't Marc in Cananda? What about Jan?

>>>I thought Afilias was actually an Irish company...
>>
>>Nope.
>

> Actually, yep.  Afilias most certainly is an Irish company.  It's
> just that most of our technical folks work from our Toronto office.
>

>>>I'm in the same timezone as SouthAfrica, and it is common for the UK to

Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

Date:
On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 10:23:53AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Isn't Marc in Cananda? What about Jan?

Marc is; Jan lives in PA, and works from the Afilias Horsham office.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.
        --Roger Brinner

Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> If we don't have anyone from Canada, and are going to stand on the
>> "European French" listing, then I can take Canada.  I'd _really_
>> prefer to point Canadian fraoncophones at the European francophones,
>> though, because while I can happily talk jouale for hours, my
>> technical French is flat-out bad.  And the English Canadian press is
>> used to talking to Americans about technology.
>
> Isn't Marc in Cananda? What about Jan?

I'm in pretty much, embarressing as it is to admin, pretty much in teh
same boat as Andrew :(  I can speak my fathers language, and get by, but
when it comes to 'computer-ese', I'm dead in the water :(

The hardest was a Comdex we did where we had some gentleman from France
come to the booth and as bad as my French was/is, we were able to
communicate, but they were *very* patient with me :)

----

Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
Dawid Kuroczko
Date:
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:55:55 +0000, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I disagree... Most European countries currently have a very clearly
> defined second language - not always the ones that people might expect
> either; Hungary and the UK were somewhat exceptional for differing
> reasons. This isn't true of individuals, but is currently true of entire
> countries - of course, journalists either do or do not speak particular

Uhh?  That's a news for me.  I know there is for instance Switzerland
which IIRC has four official languages, but then again I do not think
'most European' have it.  I certainly cannot name one for Poland
for instance -- sure, most people doing something with PostgreSQL
will speak English (the lingua franca of computing ;)), but then again
most peolpe would feel aghast if they saw Polish PostgreSQL
information in English.  I _think_ this statement is also more or
less true for most of Central Europe. :)

   Regards,
      Dawid

Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
"Vishal Kashyap @ [SaiHertz]"
Date:
Dear Josh ,

> PR-kit. btw, do we have something like booklet, pens, etc.

Do we have any PR kit though we dont need those booklets etc but must
have manuals do's and donts while dealing. Any pointers

--
With Best Regards,
Vishal Kashyap.

Re: List of regional contacts up, please revise!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Vishal,

> Do we have any PR kit though we dont need those booklets etc but must
> have manuals do's and donts while dealing. Any pointers

Yes, I will be submitting a FAQ for Regional Contacts for discussion to this
list.  Not done yet.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions