Re: your posting

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Guys,

I've got an announcement that might interest the community at
large and to you guys who know me in particular.
I've been contracted by SRA-America to do some free-lance
writing. The company is getting documentation that it can use and
is also giving back to the community by allowing me to make my
writings available for everbody. The company is providing a
different kind of support that the Pg community is not used to
seeing i.e. documentation. We're looking at creating a newsletter
on the site: the newsletter concept is still under development
but some of the ideas kicking around is to make it into a
type of online magazine dedicated to PostgreSQL. It would include
howto's, interviews and news. It could include articles from a
number of sources, such as you.

I welcome any and all responses to this thread concerning the
newsletter idea. A lot of people have worked hard creating their
own internet presence over the last while, and you know who you
are! I want to work with you and I think we may finally now have
the resources to creating a large scale documentation
infrastructure. Programming isn't the only way to support
postgres, OSCON was the success it was because we talked up a
storm.

Re: your posting

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Sounds great, and congrats ... nice to see more ppl being scoop'd up so
that they can focus more time on what they enjoy :)

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Robert Bernier wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I've got an announcement that might interest the community at large and to
> you guys who know me in particular.
> I've been contracted by SRA-America to do some free-lance writing. The
> company is getting documentation that it can use and is also giving back to
> the community by allowing me to make my writings available for everbody. The
> company is providing a different kind of support that the Pg community is not
> used to seeing i.e. documentation. We're looking at creating a newsletter on
> the site: the newsletter concept is still under development but some of the
> ideas kicking around is to make it into a
> type of online magazine dedicated to PostgreSQL. It would include
> howto's, interviews and news. It could include articles from a number of
> sources, such as you.
>
> I welcome any and all responses to this thread concerning the
> newsletter idea. A lot of people have worked hard creating their own internet
> presence over the last while, and you know who you are! I want to work with
> you and I think we may finally now have the resources to creating a large
> scale documentation infrastructure. Programming isn't the only way to support
> postgres, OSCON was the success it was because we talked up a
> storm.

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

----

Re: your posting

From
elein
Date:
As one who has been providing a newsletter for a little
under two years, I would certainly appreciate "resources".

Until this gets underway, remember that General Bits
always welcomes articles from the PostgreSQL Community
and always has.  Contact me directly!

--elein
elein@varlena.com        Varlena, LLC        www.varlena.com

          PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training

PostgreSQL General Bits   http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 09:36:17PM -0400, Robert Bernier wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I've got an announcement that might interest the community at
> large and to you guys who know me in particular.
> I've been contracted by SRA-America to do some free-lance
> writing. The company is getting documentation that it can use and
> is also giving back to the community by allowing me to make my
> writings available for everbody. The company is providing a
> different kind of support that the Pg community is not used to
> seeing i.e. documentation. We're looking at creating a newsletter
> on the site: the newsletter concept is still under development
> but some of the ideas kicking around is to make it into a
> type of online magazine dedicated to PostgreSQL. It would include
> howto's, interviews and news. It could include articles from a
> number of sources, such as you.
>
> I welcome any and all responses to this thread concerning the
> newsletter idea. A lot of people have worked hard creating their
> own internet presence over the last while, and you know who you
> are! I want to work with you and I think we may finally now have
> the resources to creating a large scale documentation
> infrastructure. Programming isn't the only way to support
> postgres, OSCON was the success it was because we talked up a
> storm.

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: your posting

Date:
I hope this newsletter and General Bits will be complimentary and
reference each other.  Nothing like having multiple news sources to make
you look professional.

elein wrote:
> As one who has been providing a newsletter for a little
> under two years, I would certainly appreciate "resources".
>
> Until this gets underway, remember that General Bits
> always welcomes articles from the PostgreSQL Community
> and always has.  Contact me directly!
>
> --elein
> elein@varlena.com        Varlena, LLC        www.varlena.com
>
>           PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training
>
> PostgreSQL General Bits   http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/
> I have always depended on the [QA] of strangers.
>

> On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 09:36:17PM -0400, Robert Bernier wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > I've got an announcement that might interest the community at
> > large and to you guys who know me in particular.
> > I've been contracted by SRA-America to do some free-lance
> > writing. The company is getting documentation that it can use and
> > is also giving back to the community by allowing me to make my
> > writings available for everbody. The company is providing a
> > different kind of support that the Pg community is not used to
> > seeing i.e. documentation. We're looking at creating a newsletter
> > on the site: the newsletter concept is still under development
> > but some of the ideas kicking around is to make it into a
> > type of online magazine dedicated to PostgreSQL. It would include
> > howto's, interviews and news. It could include articles from a
> > number of sources, such as you.
> >
> > I welcome any and all responses to this thread concerning the
> > newsletter idea. A lot of people have worked hard creating their
> > own internet presence over the last while, and you know who you
> > are! I want to work with you and I think we may finally now have
> > the resources to creating a large scale documentation
> > infrastructure. Programming isn't the only way to support
> > postgres, OSCON was the success it was because we talked up a
> > storm.

Re: was your posting --> news letter

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Sorry, I haven't gotten back to you sooner Jonathan.

Jonathan Gardner wrote:

>Anyway, I'd be willing to contribute from time to time with newbie to
>intermediate tips. Here are some ideas I could spend an hour or two to draft
>and then we can bounce back and forth and edit.
>
>* Using triggers in PostgreSQL
>* Writing procedures in PL/PgSQL
>* Getting to know libpq
>* Using PostgreSQL as your primary production database for a small company
>(1-2 tech people)

Yes, I agree these examples you mention are the kind of how to's that we
can develop. One way of organizing this "newsletter" would be to create
a set series of columns like how to's and faq's.

>But I think the idea of aggregating or cross-linking would be good. A lot of
>linux sites do so (newsforge.com, slashdot.org, lwn.net, and linuxjournal.com
>for example.)

There are postgres related information all over the place. It's just a
matter of  making the newsletter friendly and easy to read with
references to all these other great sites too
.

Re: your posting

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
> Robert Bernier
>
> Guys,
>
> I've got an announcement that might interest the community at
> large and to you guys who know me in particular.
> I've been contracted by SRA-America to do some free-lance
> writing. The company is getting documentation that it can use and
> is also giving back to the community by allowing me to make my
> writings available for everbody. The company is providing a
> different kind of support that the Pg community is not used to
> seeing i.e. documentation. We're looking at creating a newsletter
> on the site: the newsletter concept is still under development
> but some of the ideas kicking around is to make it into a
> type of online magazine dedicated to PostgreSQL. It would include
> howto's, interviews and news. It could include articles from a
> number of sources, such as you.
>
> I welcome any and all responses to this thread concerning the
> newsletter idea. A lot of people have worked hard creating their
> own internet presence over the last while, and you know who you
> are! I want to work with you and I think we may finally now have
> the resources to creating a large scale documentation
> infrastructure. Programming isn't the only way to support
> postgres, OSCON was the success it was because we talked up a
> storm.

That's good news.

IMHO one of the areas that lacks good documentation is "how to contribute".
Efforts in this area will be repaid with interest (literally).

I found it very difficult to wade through the various disconnected documents
that describe how this might be possible. Some are too long, others are too
short and some somewhat misleading for beginners.

http://development.openoffice.org/index.html
OpenOffice's developer page is probably a model of clarity.

...Elein and Robert's work really is very good already...perhaps and
external focus might help promote as well as inform..such as writing a
column for a well known magazine? (No suggestions, but then we're on
different continents).

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: your posting

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Simon Riggs wrote:
> OpenOffice's developer page is probably a model of clarity.

Then again, OpenOffice itself is an intractable monster, so it all
balances out somehow. :)

Still, I agree, our developer page is not a model of anything.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: your posting

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 09:36:17PM -0400, Robert Bernier wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I've got an announcement that might interest the community at large
> and to you guys who know me in particular.  I've been contracted by
> SRA-America to do some free-lance writing.

Fantastic!  Is this where all those case studies you've been
collecting are going to go?

phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: your posting

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Josh has all my current case studies and there's a full set of copies on
the pg_live CD too.

David Fetter wrote:

>Is this where all those case studies you've been
>collecting are going to go?

Re: your posting

From
Robert Bernier

Simon Riggs wrote:

>That's good news.
>
>IMHO one of the areas that lacks good documentation is "how to contribute".
>Efforts in this area will be repaid with interest (literally).

That's a good idea for a column.

>I found it very difficult to wade through the various disconnected documents
>that describe how this might be possible. Some are too long, others are too
>short and some somewhat misleading for beginners.

You need two kinds of people to make documentation good: a writer who
loves his subject and an editor who makes sure the writer's enthusiasm
gets translated into a solid message.

>http://development.openoffice.org/index.html
>OpenOffice's developer page is probably a model of clarity.

You know, I've never looked at the openoffice site at all   :-[

>perhaps and external focus might help promote as well as inform..such as writing a
>column for a well known magazine? (No suggestions, but then we're on
>different continents).

I've always liked the O'Reilly, http://onlamp.com, approach. You ask
them if you can write on a subject, most of the time they say yes. and
after a bit of editing it gets posted. It's to their advantage that they
accept your work because they can gauge the public's interest in a
particular subject. The site also makes an excellent training ground for
would be book authors too.