Re: your posting - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Bernier
Subject Re: your posting
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

Simon Riggs wrote:

>That's good news.
>
>IMHO one of the areas that lacks good documentation is "how to contribute".
>Efforts in this area will be repaid with interest (literally).

That's a good idea for a column.

>I found it very difficult to wade through the various disconnected documents
>that describe how this might be possible. Some are too long, others are too
>short and some somewhat misleading for beginners.

You need two kinds of people to make documentation good: a writer who
loves his subject and an editor who makes sure the writer's enthusiasm
gets translated into a solid message.

>http://development.openoffice.org/index.html
>OpenOffice's developer page is probably a model of clarity.

You know, I've never looked at the openoffice site at all   :-[

>perhaps and external focus might help promote as well as inform..such as writing a
>column for a well known magazine? (No suggestions, but then we're on
>different continents).

I've always liked the O'Reilly, http://onlamp.com, approach. You ask
them if you can write on a subject, most of the time they say yes. and
after a bit of editing it gets posted. It's to their advantage that they
accept your work because they can gauge the public's interest in a
particular subject. The site also makes an excellent training ground for
would be book authors too.