Re: your posting - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: your posting
Date
Re: your posting
List pgsql-advocacy
> Robert Bernier
>
> Guys,
>
> I've got an announcement that might interest the community at
> large and to you guys who know me in particular.
> I've been contracted by SRA-America to do some free-lance
> writing. The company is getting documentation that it can use and
> is also giving back to the community by allowing me to make my
> writings available for everbody. The company is providing a
> different kind of support that the Pg community is not used to
> seeing i.e. documentation. We're looking at creating a newsletter
> on the site: the newsletter concept is still under development
> but some of the ideas kicking around is to make it into a
> type of online magazine dedicated to PostgreSQL. It would include
> howto's, interviews and news. It could include articles from a
> number of sources, such as you.
>
> I welcome any and all responses to this thread concerning the
> newsletter idea. A lot of people have worked hard creating their
> own internet presence over the last while, and you know who you
> are! I want to work with you and I think we may finally now have
> the resources to creating a large scale documentation
> infrastructure. Programming isn't the only way to support
> postgres, OSCON was the success it was because we talked up a
> storm.

That's good news.

IMHO one of the areas that lacks good documentation is "how to contribute".
Efforts in this area will be repaid with interest (literally).

I found it very difficult to wade through the various disconnected documents
that describe how this might be possible. Some are too long, others are too
short and some somewhat misleading for beginners.

http://development.openoffice.org/index.html
OpenOffice's developer page is probably a model of clarity.

...Elein and Robert's work really is very good already...perhaps and
external focus might help promote as well as inform..such as writing a
column for a well known magazine? (No suggestions, but then we're on
different continents).

Best Regards, Simon Riggs