dbExperts or PowerGres

From
Francois Suter
Date:
Hi all,

I received a question from someone who was looking for a Windows
version of PostgreSQL and couldn't wait for 7.5.

Now this person was wondering which was better between PowerGres and
dbExperts. Personally I have no clue. I am just a bit nervous about
dbExperts, because they pretend that " In fact, dbExperts has developed
the first and only commercial version of PostgreSQL for Windows
(95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP).", which seems wrong, because there's PowerGres
too.

Any advice?

---------------
Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people
what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

Re: dbExperts or PowerGres

From
Marius Andreiana
Date:
On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 10:55 +0200, Francois Suter wrote:
> I received a question from someone who was looking for a Windows
> version of PostgreSQL and couldn't wait for 7.5.
>
> Now this person was wondering which was better between PowerGres and
> dbExperts.
Donate to Postgres the amount which they would have paid to PowerGres/
dbExperts.
Get the development binaries for 7.5 (alpha, whatever) and test them.
Report bugs. Collaborate with developers to fix them.
No development binaries? Ask for them after making the donation. A
developer working on win32 version could post them on his site, as
people.redhat.com do.

This is the best short- and long-term solution.

--
Marius Andreiana
Galuna - Solutii Linux in Romania

Re: dbExperts or PowerGres

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 04:55, Francois Suter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I received a question from someone who was looking for a Windows
> version of PostgreSQL and couldn't wait for 7.5.
>
> Now this person was wondering which was better between PowerGres and
> dbExperts. Personally I have no clue. I am just a bit nervous about
> dbExperts, because they pretend that " In fact, dbExperts has developed
> the first and only commercial version of PostgreSQL for Windows
> (95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP).", which seems wrong, because there's PowerGres
> too.
>
> Any advice?

I guess my first bit of advice is to ask the respective companies that
question and see what answers they give you. Make sure to point out
you'd like to see some tpc style benchmarks if they have them.

That said I would suspect that powergres would outperform the dbExperts
solution since it is both native windows (iirc dbExperts is cygwin
based) and on top of that it is threaded, which should be a bonus for
win32.

Another aspect is to see which version of postgresql each is based on.
iirc dbExperts is 7.2 based, and powergres is 7.3 based. Keep in mind
also that both of these products are forks of the core project, so it is
up to each company to maintain their fork. SRA has the advantage of
having more developer resources to throw at it, OTOH their version is
more of a departure from the core project as well, so they will need
those resources.

Oh, one last thing, make sure you check up on both licenses to make sure
that the pricing and restrictions involved are still workable for your
situation.

Robert Treat

Re: dbExperts or PowerGres

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Francois,

> Now this person was wondering which was better between PowerGres and
> dbExperts. Personally I have no clue. I am just a bit nervous about
> dbExperts, because they pretend that " In fact, dbExperts has developed
> the first and only commercial version of PostgreSQL for Windows
> (95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP).", which seems wrong, because there's PowerGres
> too.

As far as I know, the dbExperts "postgresql for windows" is just the Cygwin
version, which is available for free download, with a nifty graphical
installer.   You can buy the same thing from CommandPrompt.com, if you want.

The problem with Cygwin-based PostgreSQL is that it's not very scalable, due
to operating in emulation.   I know CommandPrompt caps off its version of
PG+Cygwin at something like 25 users -- I would recommend the same.

On the other hand, while PowerGres has been in development for some time and
shares code with our win32 version, I haven't yet seen it in operation, nor
seen any test results.   So you'd need to do some testing on this one.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions