Re: dbExperts or PowerGres - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: dbExperts or PowerGres
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Francois,

> Now this person was wondering which was better between PowerGres and
> dbExperts. Personally I have no clue. I am just a bit nervous about
> dbExperts, because they pretend that " In fact, dbExperts has developed
> the first and only commercial version of PostgreSQL for Windows
> (95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP).", which seems wrong, because there's PowerGres
> too.

As far as I know, the dbExperts "postgresql for windows" is just the Cygwin
version, which is available for free download, with a nifty graphical
installer.   You can buy the same thing from CommandPrompt.com, if you want.

The problem with Cygwin-based PostgreSQL is that it's not very scalable, due
to operating in emulation.   I know CommandPrompt caps off its version of
PG+Cygwin at something like 25 users -- I would recommend the same.

On the other hand, while PowerGres has been in development for some time and
shares code with our win32 version, I haven't yet seen it in operation, nor
seen any test results.   So you'd need to do some testing on this one.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions