Weberdev.com looking for sponsors

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Weberdev.com is having a PHP coding contest and is looking for any
interested companies that would like to sponsor prizes.  You can find
more details at
http://www.weberdev.com/Contests/CodeContest/index.html.  This might be
a good way for some of the PostgreSQL support companies to get thier
name out to a new group of developers, or if you want to donate in the
name of the PostgreSQL project then all the more good karma to you.  If
you're interested in sponsoring a prize, the contact person is Boaz
Yahav  <berber at netvision.net.il>

P.S. Apologies if this hits the lists twice and/or the delay in getting
it posted, I'm having email issues on my primary service provider.

Robert Treat

Re: Weberdev.com looking for sponsors

From
David Costa
Date:
On Apr 7, 2004, at 6:37 PM, Robert Treat wrote:

> Weberdev.com is having a PHP coding contest and is looking for any
> interested companies that would like to sponsor prizes.  You can find
> more details at
> http://www.weberdev.com/Contests/CodeContest/index.html.  This might be
> a good way for some of the PostgreSQL support companies to get thier
> name out to a new group of developers, or if you want to donate in the
> name of the PostgreSQL project then all the more good karma to you.

Aheam, their site is entirely dedicated to PHP and MySQL as you can see
in the homepage ;)

Date:
On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 17:10, David Costa wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2004, at 6:37 PM, Robert Treat wrote:
>
> > Weberdev.com is having a PHP coding contest and is looking for any
> > interested companies that would like to sponsor prizes.  You can find
> > more details at
> > http://www.weberdev.com/Contests/CodeContest/index.html.  This might be
> > a good way for some of the PostgreSQL support companies to get thier
> > name out to a new group of developers, or if you want to donate in the
> > name of the PostgreSQL project then all the more good karma to you.
>
> Aheam, their site is entirely dedicated to PHP and MySQL as you can see
> in the homepage ;)

It's not like there is a website out there dedicated to php and
postgresql after all :-P

But seriously, that might be a bit of a chicken and egg thing though...
after all my$ql is far more popular among php developers than
postgresql, so they are just catering to their customer base. A good
example of this is in their submitted code examples section... they have
had 174 my$ql submissions and only 13 for postgresql. That's pretty
weighted against us, but to their credit they initiated contact with us
about finding companies will to sponsor prizes, so I think they should
be treated in good faith. Also don't forget that it wasn't all that long
ago that we didn't have a presence on databasejournal.com either...
you've got to start somewhere.
Robert Treat

Re: Weberdev.com looking for sponsors

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On 7 Apr 2004, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 17:10, David Costa wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 7, 2004, at 6:37 PM, Robert Treat wrote:
> >
> > > Weberdev.com is having a PHP coding contest and is looking for any
> > > interested companies that would like to sponsor prizes.  You can find
> > > more details at
> > > http://www.weberdev.com/Contests/CodeContest/index.html.  This might be
> > > a good way for some of the PostgreSQL support companies to get thier
> > > name out to a new group of developers, or if you want to donate in the
> > > name of the PostgreSQL project then all the more good karma to you.
> >
> > Aheam, their site is entirely dedicated to PHP and MySQL as you can see
> > in the homepage ;)
> >

> It's not like there is a website out there dedicated to php and
> postgresql after all :-P
>
> But seriously, that might be a bit of a chicken and egg thing though...
> after all my$ql is far more popular among php developers than
> postgresql, so they are just catering to their customer base. A good
> example of this is in their submitted code examples section... they have
> had 174 my$ql submissions and only 13 for postgresql. That's pretty
> weighted against us, but to their credit they initiated contact with us
> about finding companies will to sponsor prizes, so I think they should
> be treated in good faith. Also don't forget that it wasn't all that long
> ago that we didn't have a presence on databasejournal.com either...
> you've got to start somewhere.

So far, the only PHP board that seems to have a fair number of Pgsql folks
on it is phpbuilder.  I've been to codewalkers, as well as weberdev.  At
least at Codewalkers they have a SQL/Database forum.  At weberdev they
only have a MySQL forum.  Not encouraging.  I wonder if they'd start a
SQL or Database forum is asked?

It may well be that they are getting questions in the MySQL forum or
elsewhere more and more about other databases and that's one of the
reasons they're reaching out to us...

Date:
On Apr 8, 2004, at 12:00 AM, scott.marlowe wrote:

> So far, the only PHP board that seems to have a fair number of Pgsql
> folks
> on it is phpbuilder.  I've been to codewalkers, as well as weberdev.

On dotgeek we have around 300 hosted php developers now. Many of them
(around 80)
already tried to port their applications to postgresql. (We don't offer
Mysql that might be the reason ?! ;)  )

We have a forum too, not very busy yet but on the homepage we plan to
publish some more articles
on postgresql.

Dotgeek is also the organizer for the second PHP Marathon
(http://marathon.dotgeek.org) which is now featured
as a news on php.net too. So the traffic is pretty high at the moment.

So far the biggest obstacle (to many) was the possibility to try out
PostgreSQL. The majority of hosting companies
are offering mysql but not postgresql in the package.

Another comment is the less features of phpPgAdmin vs phpmyadmin.

In my humble opinion is all about presence and opportunities. If a PHP
developer (like the majority) starts off with
mysql might not be willing to switch to something else.

Another issue is the impressive number of PHP scripts supporting MySQL
and ....the few supporting PostgreSQL too.

I am sure this will change !
Cheers
David Costa