Re: Weberdev.com looking for sponsors - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Weberdev.com looking for sponsors
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 17:10, David Costa wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2004, at 6:37 PM, Robert Treat wrote:
>
> > Weberdev.com is having a PHP coding contest and is looking for any
> > interested companies that would like to sponsor prizes.  You can find
> > more details at
> > http://www.weberdev.com/Contests/CodeContest/index.html.  This might be
> > a good way for some of the PostgreSQL support companies to get thier
> > name out to a new group of developers, or if you want to donate in the
> > name of the PostgreSQL project then all the more good karma to you.
>
> Aheam, their site is entirely dedicated to PHP and MySQL as you can see
> in the homepage ;)

It's not like there is a website out there dedicated to php and
postgresql after all :-P

But seriously, that might be a bit of a chicken and egg thing though...
after all my$ql is far more popular among php developers than
postgresql, so they are just catering to their customer base. A good
example of this is in their submitted code examples section... they have
had 174 my$ql submissions and only 13 for postgresql. That's pretty
weighted against us, but to their credit they initiated contact with us
about finding companies will to sponsor prizes, so I think they should
be treated in good faith. Also don't forget that it wasn't all that long
ago that we didn't have a presence on databasejournal.com either...
you've got to start somewhere.
Robert Treat