Re: Weberdev.com looking for sponsors - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Costa
Subject Re: Weberdev.com looking for sponsors
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Apr 8, 2004, at 12:00 AM, scott.marlowe wrote:

> So far, the only PHP board that seems to have a fair number of Pgsql
> folks
> on it is phpbuilder.  I've been to codewalkers, as well as weberdev.

On dotgeek we have around 300 hosted php developers now. Many of them
(around 80)
already tried to port their applications to postgresql. (We don't offer
Mysql that might be the reason ?! ;)  )

We have a forum too, not very busy yet but on the homepage we plan to
publish some more articles
on postgresql.

Dotgeek is also the organizer for the second PHP Marathon
(http://marathon.dotgeek.org) which is now featured
as a news on php.net too. So the traffic is pretty high at the moment.

So far the biggest obstacle (to many) was the possibility to try out
PostgreSQL. The majority of hosting companies
are offering mysql but not postgresql in the package.

Another comment is the less features of phpPgAdmin vs phpmyadmin.

In my humble opinion is all about presence and opportunities. If a PHP
developer (like the majority) starts off with
mysql might not be willing to switch to something else.

Another issue is the impressive number of PHP scripts supporting MySQL
and ....the few supporting PostgreSQL too.

I am sure this will change !
Cheers
David Costa