Changing mailling list server

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
(This is a repost of a mail from Martín Marqués a couple of days ago --
did anyone see it in -advocacy?)

Dear Advocacy members (and Marc ;-)):

We, at the Spanish PostgreSQL mailling list hosted at
pgsql-ayuda@tlali.iztacala.unam.mx are having some problems due to lack
of administration in the list, and at the moment are debating about what
(or where) to do with the list.

One of the solutions that came upon was to migrate (pass) the mailling
list to postgresql.org (pgsql-ayuda@postgresql.org) and so I would like
to know which is the policy about this, and if there is a chance of
hosting the list at pgsql-ayuda@postgresql.org (maybe it should be
called pgsql-es-ayuda or just pgsql-es, to follow the convention?)

Please note that we would take care of whatever administrative tasks are
required.

Waiting for your answer,

"Para tener más hay que desear menos"

Re: Changing mailling list server

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
The answer I had sent back a little while back was that this was
definitely doable ... once a decision was made, just let me konw and I can
get it setup ... I also need to know who would be listed as the list
owner, for moderation purposes, as I can't read Spanish *yet* (next years
project)

----

Date:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 08:48:11PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> The answer I had sent back a little while back was that this was
> definitely doable ... once a decision was made, just let me konw and I can
> get it setup ... I also need to know who would be listed as the list
> owner, for moderation purposes, as I can't read Spanish *yet* (next years
> project)

Cool, please list me and Martin as owners:

Martin Marques <martin@bugs.unl.edu.ar>
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl>

Is there some way we could automatically import the archives from the
old list?  Has the list owner a mechanism to insert a whole mbox?

Thanks a lot,

> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > We, at the Spanish PostgreSQL mailling list hosted at
> > pgsql-ayuda@tlali.iztacala.unam.mx are having some problems due to lack
> > of administration in the list, and at the moment are debating about what
> > (or where) to do with the list.

Tulio: oh, para qué servirá este boton, Juan Carlos?
Policarpo: No, aléjense, no toquen la consola!
Juan Carlos: Lo apretaré una y otra vez.

Re: Changing mailling list server

From
Martin Marques
Date:
Nos tiro la pelota. Ahora nos toca jugar a nosotros.
Que hacemos?

El Mié 24 Mar 2004 21:48, Marc G. Fournier escribió:
> The answer I had sent back a little while back was that this was
> definitely doable ... once a decision was made, just let me konw and I can
> get it setup ... I also need to know who would be listed as the list
> owner, for moderation purposes, as I can't read Spanish *yet* (next years
> project)
>
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > (This is a repost of a mail from Martín Marqués a couple of days ago --
> > did anyone see it in -advocacy?)
> >
> > Dear Advocacy members (and Marc ;-)):
> >
> > We, at the Spanish PostgreSQL mailling list hosted at
> > pgsql-ayuda@tlali.iztacala.unam.mx are having some problems due to lack
> > of administration in the list, and at the moment are debating about what
> > (or where) to do with the list.
> >
> > One of the solutions that came upon was to migrate (pass) the mailling
> > list to postgresql.org (pgsql-ayuda@postgresql.org) and so I would like
> > to know which is the policy about this, and if there is a chance of
> > hosting the list at pgsql-ayuda@postgresql.org (maybe it should be
> > called pgsql-es-ayuda or just pgsql-es, to follow the convention?)
> >
> > Please note that we would take care of whatever administrative tasks are
> > required.
> >
> > Waiting for your answer,
> >
> > --
> > Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]dcc.uchile.cl>)
> > "Para tener más hay que desear menos"
>
> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

 08:27:01 up 16 days, 12:58,  2 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.69, 0.64
Martín Marqués        | select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar'
Centro de Telematica  |  DBA, Programador, Administrador
             Universidad Nacional
                  del Litoral

Re: Changing mailling list server

From
Martin Marques
Date:
Sorry for the spanish messages. They were not intended to go to this list.

--
 09:40:01 up 16 days, 14:11,  2 users,  load average: 1.34, 0.87, 0.61

Date:
On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 08:58:08PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 08:48:11PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > The answer I had sent back a little while back was that this was
> > definitely doable ... once a decision was made, just let me konw and I can
> > get it setup ... I also need to know who would be listed as the list
> > owner, for moderation purposes, as I can't read Spanish *yet* (next years
> > project)
>
> Cool, please list me and Martin as owners:

Marc, just to followup, please create a list named "pgsql-es-ayuda" with
these three owners:

Martin Marques <martin@bugs.unl.edu.ar>
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl>
Manuel Sugawara <masm@fciencias.unam.mx>

"Limítate a mirar... y algun día veras"

MARC FOURNIER -- Re: Changing mailling list server

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Marc,

I've sent this mail to you three or four times already.  Maybe it's
getting blocked by some spam killer.

Sure.  It's in http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-es-ayuda.mbox.gz

> > Oh, now that the list is working, can you please add it to the list in
> > archives?  And who should I ask to add it to lists.html in the main
> > site?

archives.postgresql.org is not right about this list.  In fact it
doesn't work, and I can't get to the archives.  (It only shows the list
on the first search dropdown, but even that doesn't work).

"Las cosas son buenas o malas segun las hace nuestra opinión" (Lisias)

Re: MARC FOURNIER -- Re: Changing mailling list server

From
"Dan Langille"
Date:
On 26 Apr 2004 at 17:57, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> archives.postgresql.org is not right about this list.  In fact it
> doesn't work, and I can't get to the archives.  (It only shows the
> list on the first search dropdown, but even that doesn't work).

Alvaro:

I have had great success with gmane.org and various lists.  Your post
is already there:

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.postgresql.advocacy
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - http://www.bsdcan.org/

Date:

svr1# fetch http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-es-ayuda.mbox.gz
fetch: http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-es-ayuda.mbox.gz: Not Found

> > > Oh, now that the list is working, can you please add it to the list in
> > > archives?  And who should I ask to add it to lists.html in the main
> > > site?
>
> archives.postgresql.org is not right about this list.  In fact it
> doesn't work, and I can't get to the archives.  (It only shows the list
> on the first search dropdown, but even that doesn't work).

Should be fixed now ...

can you send me a spanish translation of:

    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-es-ayuda/top

----

Date:
On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 08:23:40PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > > if you can get the mbox files for the archives, assuming that the old
> > > system stored it that way, I can copy them to the right location ...
> >
> > Sure.  It's in http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-es-ayuda.mbox.gz
>
> svr1# fetch http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-es-ayuda.mbox.gz
> fetch: http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-es-ayuda.mbox.gz: Not Found

Dammit :-(   It's
http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-ayuda.mbox.gz

> > archives.postgresql.org is not right about this list.  In fact it
> > doesn't work, and I can't get to the archives.  (It only shows the list
> > on the first search dropdown, but even that doesn't work).
>
> Should be fixed now ...

Cool!

> can you send me a spanish translation of:
>
>     http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-es-ayuda/top

Attached.

Thank you!

"A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early.
He arrives precisely when he means to."  (Gandalf, en LoTR FoTR)

Attachment

Date:
On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 07:06:49PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 26 Apr 2004 at 17:57, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > archives.postgresql.org is not right about this list.  In fact it
> > doesn't work, and I can't get to the archives.  (It only shows the
> > list on the first search dropdown, but even that doesn't work).
>
> Alvaro:
>
> I have had great success with gmane.org and various lists.  Your post
> is already there:

Sorry, I was talking about pgsql-es-ayuda, a spanish list which was not
on archives (nor anywhere else).  It's up now thanks to Marc, you can
see it under "Regional Lists" at the left.

BTW, I note that the spanish list has a lot more traffic than the german
and french one.  Maybe it's because Postgres is heavily used on Latin
America, but maybe it's just because not a lot of people speak english,
compared to european types.  (Maybe this is related to the fact that
there are spanish and brazilian portuguese versions of General Bits but
no other language.)

"¿Cómo puedes confiar en algo que pagas y que no ves,
y no confiar en algo que te dan y te lo muestran?" (Germán Poo)

Date:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > > Sure.  It's in http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-es-ayuda.mbox.gz
> >
> > svr1# fetch http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-es-ayuda.mbox.gz
> > fetch: http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-es-ayuda.mbox.gz: Not Found
>
> Dammit :-(   It's
> http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-ayuda.mbox.gz

How big is it? :)

svr1# fetch http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-ayuda.mbox.gz
fetch: http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-ayuda.mbox.gz: Operation timed out

> Attached.

Plugging it in now ...

----

Date:
On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 04:54:41PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > > svr1# fetch http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-es-ayuda.mbox.gz
> > > fetch: http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-es-ayuda.mbox.gz: Not Found
> >
> > Dammit :-(   It's
> > http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-ayuda.mbox.gz
>
> How big is it? :)

5 MB (compressed) ... it shouldn't be _that_ bad.  I don't have a better
connection though.

> svr1# fetch http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-ayuda.mbox.gz
> fetch: http://alvherre.atentus.cl/pgsql-ayuda.mbox.gz: Operation timed out
>
> > Attached.
>
> Plugging it in now ...

Cool!

"La vida es para el que se aventura"

Date:
On Mon, 3 May 2004, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> 5 MB (compressed) ... it shouldn't be _that_ bad.  I don't have a better
> connection though.

Want to try and email it to me?

----

Date:
On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 08:00:25PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 3 May 2004, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > 5 MB (compressed) ... it shouldn't be _that_ bad.  I don't have a better
> > connection though.
>
> Want to try and email it to me?

Ok, it should have arrived already.

"You knock on that door or the sun will be shining on places inside you
that the sun doesn't usually shine" (en Death: "The High Cost of Living")