Some info needed to advocate

From
Francois Suter
Date:
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions from some people interested in migrating
to PostgreSQL and I lack some answers. Please can you help me answer
the following questions:

- are there native PostgreSQL drivers for Delphi and Crystal Reports?
The people would like to avoid using ODBC.

- about the planned Windows native version: is it going to be exactly
the same or are there going to be some missing functionalities, what
with it running on Windows and not Unix? Are there any major issues
that can be expected?

Thanks

---------------
Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/

"Would Descartes have programmed in Pascal?" - Umberto Eco

Re: Some info needed to advocate

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Monday 01 March 2004 17:18, Francois Suter wrote:

> - are there native PostgreSQL drivers for Delphi and Crystal Reports?
> The people would like to avoid using ODBC.

There is at least one company producting drivers for Borland's products, so I
would be surprised if there wasn't something for Delphi - Googling should do
there.

Don't know of anything for Crystal. Why do you not want to use ODBC?

> - about the planned Windows native version: is it going to be exactly
> the same or are there going to be some missing functionalities, what
> with it running on Windows and not Unix? Are there any major issues
> that can be expected?

I'm sure someone involved in the Windows port will help out here, but the
effort is to make the PostgreSQL code run on both platforms, not to produce
another Windows version. Of course, since Windows is a new platform to run
on, it won't have received as much testing as with *nix systems, and might
need some performance work too. Other than that, I can't think what would
cause problems.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: Some info needed to advocate

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
,
>Hi all,
>
>I have a couple of questions from some people interested in migrating
>to PostgreSQL and I lack some answers. Please can you help me answer
>the following questions:
>
>- are there native PostgreSQL drivers for Delphi and Crystal Reports?
>The people would like to avoid using ODBC.
>
>- about the planned Windows native version: is it going to be exactly
>the same or are there going to be some missing functionalities, what
>with it running on Windows and not Unix? Are there any major issues
>that can be expected?

The Windows port will be based on the exact same source, so it should
contain the same functionality. But since it's the first version for a
very different platform, there are sure to be some gotchas. I'm not
aware of any yet, though, and the goal is to have none.

We hope to catch all major issues before release, but that depends a lot
on how much testing it gets. And again, since it's a completely new
port, it will be less well-tested than the Unix versions.

//Magnus

Re: Some info needed to advocate

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
Francois Suter wrote:
> - are there native PostgreSQL drivers for Delphi and Crystal Reports?
> The people would like to avoid using ODBC.

Delphi: Yes.  Check out ZeosLib (http://www.zeoslib.net).  These are
exactly what you need.

Crystal Reports: not sure.  I use Ace Reporter, which frankly is
fantastic, but for Crystal Reports maybe somebody else can help you with
that information.

> - about the planned Windows native version: is it going to be exactly
> the same or are there going to be some missing functionalities, what
> with it running on Windows and not Unix? Are there any major issues
> that can be expected?

The windows port should be just fine, but expect a long beta period
before all the issues are worked out, I expect at least 6 months.

In the meantime I suggest using cygwin or Interix.

Merlin

*

Re: Some info needed to advocate

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
Richard Huxton wrote:

>On Monday 01 March 2004 17:18, Francois Suter wrote:
>

>>- are there native PostgreSQL drivers for Delphi and Crystal Reports?
>>The people would like to avoid using ODBC.
>>

>There is at least one company producting drivers for Borland's products, so I
>would be surprised if there wasn't something for Delphi - Googling should do
>there.

http://www.microolap.com/dac/postgresdac.htm

I've used that product in C++ Builder and it works well.  It claims to
work in Delphi.  afaik Crystal integration still requres odbc.

Gavin