Another Postgresql mention in the media

From
Darcy Buskermolen
Date:

Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.
ph: 250.717.0200
fx:  250.763.1759
http://www.wavefire.com

Re: Another Postgresql mention in the media

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
Can we just sign up Google news clipping service to the list so that
everyone gets emailed automatically when there is an article mentioning
postgres?

I'd do it myself, but it might be difficult to get around the confirmation
process.

Gavin

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:

> Darcy Buskermolen
> Wavefire Technologies Corp.
> ph: 250.717.0200
> fx:  250.763.1759
> http://www.wavefire.com

> !DSPAM:403bb58c41361582820572!

Re: Another Postgresql mention in the media

From
Dan Langille
Date:
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Gavin Sherry wrote:

> Can we just sign up Google news clipping service to the list so that
> everyone gets emailed automatically when there is an article mentioning
> postgres?

Please don't.  This is a bad idea.  If people want the service, they can
subscribe to it themselves.

Re: Another Postgresql mention in the media

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Dan Langille wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Gavin Sherry wrote:
>
> > Can we just sign up Google news clipping service to the list so that
> > everyone gets emailed automatically when there is an article mentioning
> > postgres?
>
> Please don't.  This is a bad idea.  If people want the service, they can
> subscribe to it themselves.

How about a 'pgsql-in-the-news' mailing list that sends a digest to
-announce? :)

----

Re: Another Postgresql mention in the media

From
elein
Date:
I really like this idea.  Anyone else?

--elein

Date:
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, elein wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 08:46:16PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > > Please don't.  This is a bad idea.  If people want the service, they can
> > > subscribe to it themselves.
> >
> > How about a 'pgsql-in-the-news' mailing list that sends a digest to
> > -announce? :)
>
> I really like this idea.  Anyone else?

I think it deserves its own mailing list.

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan: http://www.bsdcan.org/

Re: Another Postgresql mention in the media

From
David Costa
Date:
+1 for me
On Feb 25, 2004, at 7:03 PM, elein wrote:

> I really like this idea.  Anyone else?
>
> --elein
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 08:46:16PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> Please don't.  This is a bad idea.  If people want the service, they
>>> can
>>> subscribe to it themselves.
>>
>> How about a 'pgsql-in-the-news' mailing list that sends a digest to
>> -announce? :)
>>
>> ----
>> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
>> (http://www.hub.org)
>> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
>> 7615664
>>
>> ---------------------------(end of
>> broadcast)---------------------------
>> TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>
>>                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Another Postgresql mention in the media

From
Robert Treat
Date:
What advantage do you see in this over the weekly news?

Robert Treat

Date:
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Robert Treat wrote:

> What advantage do you see in this over the weekly news?

in one case, it means that Dave should be able to setup an RSS feed
strictly for that ... the other is that it would be sent out daily,
instead of waiting until the end of the week ...

----

Re: Another Postgresql mention in the media

From
elein
Date:
If you subscribed to google and listed all of the
weekly news items in your weekly ANNOUNCE email (and you
may do this already) then there is no advantage to the
mailing list except timing.

elein

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 01:36:16PM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> What advantage do you see in this over the weekly news?
>
> Robert Treat
>
> On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 13:03, elein wrote:
> > I really like this idea.  Anyone else?
> >
> > --elein

> > > How about a 'pgsql-in-the-news' mailing list that sends a digest to
> > > -announce? :)
> > >
> > > ----
> > > Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
> > > Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

> > > TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
> > >
> > >                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

> Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

Re: Another Postgresql mention in the media

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
Note that I read the Weekly News to see what I may have over-looked during
the week and/or to get a perspective different from the way I may have
interpreted something ... I rarely look at the links at the bottom ...

Date:
On Feb 25, 2004, at 7:45 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Robert Treat wrote:
>
>> What advantage do you see in this over the weekly news?
>
> in one case, it means that Dave should be able to setup an RSS feed
> strictly for that ... the other is that it would be sent out daily,
> instead of waiting until the end of the week ...

yes I could certainly do that. I am sure that many people will then use
the RSS feeds to promote postgresql news/other feeds on their site.
feeds=syndication therefore more users, and free promotion on several
sites.

>> Robert Treat
>>
>> On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 13:03, elein wrote:
>>> I really like this idea.  Anyone else?
>>>
>>> --elein

>>> ---------------------------(end of
>>> broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
>>
>> --
>> Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL
>>

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Re: Another Postgresql mention in the media

From
Robert Treat
Date:
It's part of my process, but I also filter the links in the news in
cases where the same article is carried in multiple news outlets; the
sco service pack is a good example of that. Not to mention sometimes
google news gives you duplicate articles and/or outdated articles, or it
might have an article about something completely obtuse but it has the
word postgres in it *somewhere*, so I try to filter it down to articles
that I think might be worth reading to the general public.

Robert Treat

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 13:47, elein wrote:
> If you subscribed to google and listed all of the
> weekly news items in your weekly ANNOUNCE email (and you
> may do this already) then there is no advantage to the
> mailing list except timing.
>
> elein
>

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 01:36:16PM -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> > What advantage do you see in this over the weekly news?
> >
> > Robert Treat
> >
> > On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 13:03, elein wrote:
> > > I really like this idea.  Anyone else?
> > >
> > > --elein

> > > TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
> >
> > --
> > Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Another Postgresql mention in the media

From
"V i s h a l Kashyap @ [Sai Hertz And Control Systems]"
Date:
Dear Robert Treat  ,

>Not to mention sometimes
>google news gives you duplicate articles and/or outdated articles, or it
>might have an article about something completely obtuse but it has the
>word postgres in it *somewhere*, so I try to filter it down to articles
>that I think might be worth reading to the general public.

Human intervention is required for such  news posts thus lets stick to
the Weekly News  as
gives the much needed Human touch.

--
Best Regards,
Vishal Kashyap
Director / Lead Developer,
Sai Hertz And Control Systems Pvt Ltd,
http://saihertz.rediffblogs.com
Jabber IM: vishalkashyap@jabber.org
ICQ :      264360076
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire
universe, deserve your love and affection.
- Buddha
I am usually called as Vishal Kashyap
and my Girlfriend calls me Vishal CASH UP.
Because everyone loves me as Vishal Kashyap
and my Girlfriend loves me as CASH.
                    ___
                   //\\\
                  ( 0_0 )