Updated Status (1/23/04) OSCON plans

From
elein
Date:
This is where I think we are so far with regards
to OSCON2004.  If I've got something wrong or
too vague, please contact me.

I will provide updates to this list
as new information becomes available.

--elein

===================================
This information is also on my wiki:
        http://cookie.varlena.com/BlueSky/OsCon2004
        htaccess: (varlena/varlena)
        wiki user: (varlena)
===================================
OSCON 2004

Contacts

    * PostgreSQL: Elein, Josh Berkus
    * OReilly Contact: chromatic

Off site get together

    * Joshua Drake @ Command Prompt

Swag

    * T-Shirts For Pg Conference goers: Greg Sabino Mullane

            - Sponsor found for these (elein)
    * Other Swag TBD

Financing Speakers

    * Josh Berkus -- Might be some money available

Booth

    * Josh Berkus -- possibly money for this
    * Elein -- scheduling
          * Roderick A. Anderson
          * Josh Berkus
          * Elein
          * Robert Bernier
          * David Fetter

General Speaker

    * Set up: Josh/Elein
    * State of PostgreSQL -- Bruce Momjian: Adoptions and Trends

BOF

    * Schedule -- elein

Tutorials

    * Joe Conway -- (?? day) Extending PostgreSQL with C?
    * Andrew Sullivan -- (1/2 day?) Erserver Replication
    * Elein -- (1/2 day) Intro to PostgreSQL
    * Robert Bernier -- (1/2 day) Datamining email/Perl
    * Greg Sabino Mullane -- (1/2 day) how to use the database to help your DBA and application writers get along with
otherby good use of "advanced" database features
    * Gavin Sherry -- (1/2 day??) Advanced Features and 7.4 Enhancements
    * Robert Treat -- (1/2 day??) Views with pl languages

Talks

    * Joe Conway -- 7.4 enhancements
    * Elein -- ORDBMS Concepts in PostgreSQL
    * Robert Treat -- A Grand Tour of PostgreSQL Modules and Supplimentary Software
    * Josh Berkus -- Performance Tuning, maybe also Indexes
    * Andrew Sullivan -- PostgreSQL Administration
    * Chris Travers -- advanced features of PostgreSQL allow for extremely powerful business databases, eg
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openres
    * George Essig -- tsearch2

Topics Looking for Speakers

    * PostgreSQL on Windows
    * PostGIS
    * Datawarehousing (see also Robert Bernier's tutorial)
    * Server Side Programming languages: plpgsql, plpythonu, plperl, pltcl, plphp

Re: Updated Status (1/23/04) OSCON plans

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:39:37PM -0800, elein wrote:
> Booth

Assuming at least one of my proposals is accepted, or my employer
wants to send me anyway, I can volunteer for this as well.

>     * Andrew Sullivan -- (1/2 day?) Erserver Replication

I submitted this, _and_ a version of it as a conference session as an
alternative, depending on what the OSCON folks actually want.  The
only difference to me is the detail into which I'll go.

>     * Andrew Sullivan -- PostgreSQL Administration

I submitted one on this, but I've had word (a) that it is garbled in
the system right now and (b) that it may be superfluous.  I thought
I'd solicit views from others on (b) before I re-submitted to clean
it up, so if you feel strongly about this either way, please let me
know.  (I'm not submitting multiple things out of a misguided desire
to achieve fame and fortune through conference presentations.  If I'd
wanted that, I'd've stayed in grad school forever.  So "sit down and
shut up" is an acceptable suggestion :)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
        --Dennis Ritchie

Re: Updated Status (1/23/04) OSCON plans

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 15:34, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:39:37PM -0800, elein wrote:
> > Booth
>
> Assuming at least one of my proposals is accepted, or my employer
> wants to send me anyway, I can volunteer for this as well.
>
> >     * Andrew Sullivan -- (1/2 day?) Erserver Replication
>
> I submitted this, _and_ a version of it as a conference session as an
> alternative, depending on what the OSCON folks actually want.  The
> only difference to me is the detail into which I'll go.

I've been waffling on this same issue actually. One of the presentations
is going to be a "using advanced database features to reduce application
re-coding".  It will mainly deal with views and stored procedures as a
talk, but I could go into more detail if they want a full blown
tutorial. Is there any reason not to submit it both ways and let them
pick which one they prefer? assuming they prefer either ;-)

Robert Treat

Re: Updated Status (1/23/04) OSCON plans

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> I've been waffling on this same issue actually. One of the presentations
> is going to be a "using advanced database features to reduce application
> re-coding".  It will mainly deal with views and stored procedures as a
> talk, but I could go into more detail if they want a full blown
> tutorial. Is there any reason not to submit it both ways and let them
> pick which one they prefer? assuming they prefer either ;-)

Actually, "they" is quite intimate; primary selection will be done by several
members of the PG community, with OSCON just exercising veto power.    So it
won't be strangers evaluating your proposal!

The hard part will be deciding who doesn't get to present at all :-(

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Updated Status (1/23/04) OSCON plans

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jan,

> "Several members of the PG community" ... hmmmm ... can you share who
> that is in person and how that group got selected?

No, 'cause it's not selected yet.   You wanna be on it?   I'm happy to share
the blame .....

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Updated Status (1/23/04) OSCON plans

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> Jan,
>
>> "Several members of the PG community" ... hmmmm ... can you share who
>> that is in person and how that group got selected?
>
> No, 'cause it's not selected yet.   You wanna be on it?   I'm happy to share
> the blame .....

I think CORE should be in the loop. So yes, I'd be willing to share the
blame.

Jan