The two steps to being under the Sun...

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
Step 1:

Convince Sun to use Berkeley DBs for simple flat data in their products
due to licence, etc.

Step 2:

Show Sun that a high quality database exists for storing their complex
relational data with similar restrictions and benefits to the above. You
don't even need to ask about IP issues.

Attachment

Re: The two steps to being under the Sun...

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 17 Sep 2003 at 9:02, Rod Taylor wrote:

> Step 1:
>
> Convince Sun to use Berkeley DBs for simple flat data in their products
> due to licence, etc.

IIRC, that was for an embedded database so postgresql is clearly not in the
game.

And given that postgresql does not do that well on solaris at lower end at
least, I would not think sun as place where postgresql will find another home.

Recently lost a project to mysql on solaris/AIX just because postgresql could
not load data fast enough. Not good..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
All new:    Parts not interchangeable with previous model.

Re: The two steps to being under the Sun...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Rod,

> Show Sun that a high quality database exists for storing their complex
> relational data with similar restrictions and benefits to the above. You
> don't even need to ask about IP issues.

Unfortunately, I've been down this road.

Sun does not want to deal with any "real" open source projects.  MySQL AB,
which is a commercial company dabbling in open source, suits Sun's corprorate
"personality" a lot better than we ever would.  We won the technical
evaluation and lost the corporate politics.

Sun has contributed a *lot* to open source, and their techies in Europe are
very dedicated to OSS ideals -- for example, the PostgreSQL SDBC driver for
OOo is being developed by a volunteer & a Sunnie in their "spare" time, to
match the MySQL driver which was donated by another company.   So I don't
want to give Sun a bad rap.   But it's important to remember how driven Sun
HQ is by their corporate culture, which is a lot more similar to Redmond than
it is to us.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: The two steps to being under the Sun...

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) writes:
> Sun does not want to deal with any "real" open source projects.
> MySQL AB, which is a commercial company dabbling in open source,
> suits Sun's corprorate "personality" a lot better than we ever
> would.  We won the technical evaluation and lost the corporate
> politics.

Furthermore, MySQL isn't likely to seriously challenge any
relationships with their commercial 'partners.'

If the "open source" database that they push is considered only
suitable for toy applications, then that's _perfect_ for any
partnering they do with vendors like Oracle.

It is, as a result, perfectly natural for them to say "Well, if you
want to do any _real_ work with databases, then you should talk to our
partner here..."  Nobody is likely to question that this is a good
idea.

If, in contrast, they bundled something that _does_ scale better,
there might be an awkward pause if someone asks the question "... And
I need to upgrade to Oracle precisely why?"
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="libertyrms.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>

Re: The two steps to being under the Sun...

From
"Ned Lilly"
Date:
Correct.  The hard fact of it, folks, is that a successful PostgreSQL is bad news for the following industry leaders:

Oracle (directly)
IBM (directly)
Microsoft (directly)
Sun (indirectly, due to partnership with Oracle)
Red Hat (indirectly, due to partnerships with Oracle, IBM)

The best possible high-visibility partners for PostgreSQL for large application vendors who wish to reduce their
dependencyon (often competing) database vendors:

Siebel (the best candidate, IMHO)
SAP (already co-opted by MySQL)
Peoplesoft (has a new DB2 relationship)
etc.

> > Sun does not want to deal with any "real" open source projects.
> > MySQL AB, which is a commercial company dabbling in open source,
> > suits Sun's corprorate "personality" a lot better than we ever
> > would.  We won the technical evaluation and lost the corporate
> > politics.
>
> Furthermore, MySQL isn't likely to seriously challenge any
> relationships with their commercial 'partners.'
>
> If the "open source" database that they push is considered only
> suitable for toy applications, then that's _perfect_ for any
> partnering they do with vendors like Oracle.
>
> It is, as a result, perfectly natural for them to say "Well, if you
> want to do any _real_ work with databases, then you should talk to our
> partner here..."  Nobody is likely to question that this is a good
> idea.
>
> If, in contrast, they bundled something that _does_ scale better,
> there might be an awkward pause if someone asks the question "... And
> I need to upgrade to Oracle precisely why?"
> --
> let name="cbbrowne" and tld="libertyrms.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
> <http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>
> Christopher Browne
> (416) 646 3304 x124 (land)

Re: The two steps to being under the Sun...

From
Anastasios Hatzis
Date:
Josh,

> want to give Sun a bad rap.   But it's important to remember how driven Sun
> HQ is by their corporate culture, which is a lot more similar to Redmond than
> it is to us.

Although I honor the (sparetime) contributions of Sun employees and Sun
itself, I agree with your statement about the corporate culture. I
wonder, if a Sun monopoly would feel different from a Microsoft one.
McNeil's attitude is sometimes like they already achieved monopoly. ;-)

--
http://www.go-gen.com/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/freegee/