Need a good slogan to use for ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
http://www.hub.org/~scrappy/elephant.gif

The only thing I can come up with is "Of the people, For the people", in
reference to the ppl on the ground leading the elephant, which is bearing
the wait of the ppl on his back ...

The image, and slogan, are going to go on the back of Ts ... and I'd like
to have a stronger slogan that will stick better in ppls minds ...

Re: Need a good slogan to use for ...

From
elein
Date:
We can't see the gif at this address.

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 11:27:33PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> http://www.hub.org/~scrappy/elephant.gif
>
> The only thing I can come up with is "Of the people, For the people", in
> reference to the ppl on the ground leading the elephant, which is bearing
> the wait of the ppl on his back ...
>
> The image, and slogan, are going to go on the back of Ts ... and I'd like
> to have a stronger slogan that will stick better in ppls minds ...

Re: Need a good slogan to use for ...

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
d'oh, sorry ... elephant.jpg, not .gif ;(

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, elein wrote:

> We can't see the gif at this address.
>
> On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 11:27:33PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >
> > http://www.hub.org/~scrappy/elephant.gif
> >
> > The only thing I can come up with is "Of the people, For the people", in
> > reference to the ppl on the ground leading the elephant, which is bearing
> > the wait of the ppl on his back ...
> >
> > The image, and slogan, are going to go on the back of Ts ... and I'd like
> > to have a stronger slogan that will stick better in ppls minds ...

> >                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

Re: Need a good slogan to use for ...

From
Anthony Chavez
Date:
On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 03:09:35 -0300 (ADT) "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> wrote:

> d'oh, sorry ... elephant.jpg, not .gif ;(

I can't think of anything really witty off-hand, but I can't help
thinking of Alexander the Great....

--
Anthony Chavez                             http://www.anthonychavez.org/
mailto:acc@anthonychavez.org                jabber:acc@anthonychavez.org

Attachment

Re: Need a good slogan to use for ...

From
Anton de Wet
Date:
On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> http://www.hub.org/~scrappy/elephant.gif
>
> The only thing I can come up with is "Of the people, For the people", in
> reference to the ppl on the ground leading the elephant, which is bearing
> the wait of the ppl on his back ...

Heavy weight, open source recall?

Anton

Re: Need a good slogan to use for ...

From
Francois Suter
Date:
> The only thing I can come up with is "Of the people, For the people",
> in
> reference to the ppl on the ground leading the elephant, which is
> bearing
> the wait of the ppl on his back ...

Hmm, no idea for a slogan, but I don't think the one you propose is a
good idea if we want to convince companies to use PostgreSQL. I mean,
if it's for the people, it's not for the companies. It just sounds a
bit too communist to convince neo-liberal managers :-)

Then again maybe we could include Mao's Little Red Book in the
distribution :-)

Cheers.

---------------
Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/

"Would Descartes have programmed in Pascal?" - Umberto Eco

Re: Need a good slogan to use for ...

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Marc,

> > > The only thing I can come up with is "Of the people, For the people",
> > > in reference to the ppl on the ground leading the elephant, which is
> > > bearing the wait of the ppl on his back ...

Hmmm ... if this is for a general-purpose PostgreSQL t-shirt, I'm not sure I
can come up with a slogan because I'm not clear on why we're using the
cartoon.   I mean, it's a fun cartoon, but what does it say about PostgreSQL?

The only suggestion I would have would be something along the lines of:
"Strong enough to carry your whole company."

Fun idea for a cartoon ... advertise eRServer replication with a cartoon of a
mama elephant and several calves.

Speaking of t-shirts, we're going to want several for Comdex, and I'll need
one for PHPCon.  Just for the attendees; I don't think we're allowed to sell
anything for Comdex.

How much lead time do you need?   I'll ask attendees about sizes.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Need a good slogan to use for ...

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Marc,

> Hmmm ... if this is for a general-purpose PostgreSQL t-shirt, I'm not sure I
> can come up with a slogan because I'm not clear on why we're using the
> cartoon.   I mean, it's a fun cartoon, but what does it say about PostgreSQL?

I'm thinking things like:

"All Aboard"
"Hop On"
"Everyone's Database"
"Put an Elephant in your Server room"  <-i.e. put a tiger in your tank
"Free Elephant Rides"
"Join the Parade" (A group of elephants is called a parade)
"Plenty of Room"

Re: Need a good slogan to use for ...

From
"Nick Fankhauser"
Date:
How about-

PostgreSQL is Open Source - You can lead or just come along for the ride.

-Nick

That was why I needed/wanted a slogan ... :)  We had originally used the
cartoon for the whole SePICK CRM stuff ... but I figured if we could put
some words to it, the cartoon *could* say so much ...

> The only suggestion I would have would be something along the lines of:
> "Strong enough to carry your whole company."

Oh, I like this one ...

> Speaking of t-shirts, we're going to want several for Comdex, and I'll
> need one for PHPCon.  Just for the attendees; I don't think we're
> allowed to sell anything for Comdex.
>
> How much lead time do you need?  I'll ask attendees about sizes.

Depends ... most stuff should already be in stock, so its just a matter of
delivery time, but the sooner the better ...

Re: Need a good slogan to use for ...

From
Mariusz Czulada
Date:
hi

Dnia nie 7. września 2003 04:27, Marc G. Fournier napisał:

> The image, and slogan, are going to go on the back of Ts ... and I'd like
> to have a stronger slogan that will stick better in ppls minds ...

Don't know if there is any competition for the slogan with valuable prices
:-), but I got one.

    "Win the Future. Today."

(C) by me ;-)

--

Mariusz Czulada
Sekcja Utrzymania Systemów Informacyjnych,

Turn your Pentium II into a Gameboy: Type WIN at C:\>