Help on some concepts

From
Francois Suter
Date:
Hi all,

I'm currently working on the French translation of 7.4 press release,
but there are some concepts I don't even understand so I'm hard put to
translate them. If someone can help me understand I hope I can find a
proper translation:

- "hash aggregation in memory": I know what's a hash, but what kind of
hash is being aggregated and how is it different from what was done
before?

- "a new wire protocol": what's a wire protocol?

Thanks for the help.

---------------
Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/

"Would Descartes have programmed in Pascal?" - Umberto Eco

Re: Help on some concepts

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 29 Aug 2003 at 9:02, Francois Suter wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently working on the French translation of 7.4 press release,
> but there are some concepts I don't even understand so I'm hard put to
> translate them. If someone can help me understand I hope I can find a
> proper translation:
>
> - "hash aggregation in memory": I know what's a hash, but what kind of
> hash is being aggregated and how is it different from what was done
> before?
>
> - "a new wire protocol": what's a wire protocol?

The new wire protocol is FE-BE protocol.i.e. frontend-backend prototcol. It's
the language in which postgresql server talks to a postgresql client
application.

So when you use libpq in your application, it talks this protocol over a TCP/IP
or unix domain socket, with server.

This is revamped in 7.4 to allow more functionality, efficiency and
performance. For details, check the source..:-)

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--
QOTD:    "Say, you look pretty athletic.  What say we put a pair of tennis    shoes
on you and run you into the wall?"

Re: Help on some concepts

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
> > - "hash aggregation in memory": I know what's a hash, but what kind of
> > hash is being aggregated and how is it different from what was done
> > before?

No, the hash table is being used to evaluate an aggregate SQL function.
This is a lot faster than using the old linked list method.

Chris