Re: Help on some concepts - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Help on some concepts
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 29 Aug 2003 at 9:02, Francois Suter wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently working on the French translation of 7.4 press release,
> but there are some concepts I don't even understand so I'm hard put to
> translate them. If someone can help me understand I hope I can find a
> proper translation:
>
> - "hash aggregation in memory": I know what's a hash, but what kind of
> hash is being aggregated and how is it different from what was done
> before?
>
> - "a new wire protocol": what's a wire protocol?

The new wire protocol is FE-BE protocol.i.e. frontend-backend prototcol. It's
the language in which postgresql server talks to a postgresql client
application.

So when you use libpq in your application, it talks this protocol over a TCP/IP
or unix domain socket, with server.

This is revamped in 7.4 to allow more functionality, efficiency and
performance. For details, check the source..:-)

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--
QOTD:    "Say, you look pretty athletic.  What say we put a pair of tennis    shoes
on you and run you into the wall?"