warm and fuzzy

From
Robert Treat
Date:
I cam across this article
(http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/07/14/1513220.shtml?tid=11) which
describes the attempted use of a new groupware oriented software
package. While it was somewhat negative on the software itself, it did
have this nice quote in it:

"For a supposedly mature piece of software, it would seem that even a
cumbersome step-by-step installation guide using PostgreSQL, the one
database which everyone has, would have been an obvious document to
release with the code."

maybe that can be our new slogan, "the one database which everyone has"
:-)

so this was pretty cool, but then i found this article
(http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=369) which is a
technical article about using open source software in the geographic and
location industries. I quote:

"An older open source database, called PostgreSQL [11], has had
geographic capabilities for some time, but we were unfamiliar with
PostgreSQL and were looking more for performance and convenience than
serious functionality (a PostgreSQL user might tell you this is
unwarranted stereotyping). "

<sigh>
It's kind of sad to see a quote like this from a source that you know
some people are looking toward for valid technical information. I'd love
to see the PostGIS guys write up an article about how one might go about
using geographic data for serious applications.

Robert Treat

Re: warm and fuzzy

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
> <sigh>
> It's kind of sad to see a quote like this from a source that you know
> some people are looking toward for valid technical information. I'd love
> to see the PostGIS guys write up an article about how one might go about
> using geographic data for serious applications.

I'm not sure any of the PostGIS developers are on this list -- you may
want to forward it to one of them.

Joe

Re: warm and fuzzy

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 16 Jul 2003 at 8:22, Joe Conway wrote:

> Robert Treat wrote:
> > <sigh>
> > It's kind of sad to see a quote like this from a source that you know
> > some people are looking toward for valid technical information. I'd love
> > to see the PostGIS guys write up an article about how one might go about
> > using geographic data for serious applications.
> >

> I'm not sure any of the PostGIS developers are on this list -- you may
> want to forward it to one of them.

Can we get a sign on page for major projects so that one person per project
could be lurking over postgresql advocacy? That way both the projects would
benenfit due to increased cross-talk.

Just extending this idea in general..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Burke's Postulates:    Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking
about.    Don't create a problem for which you do not have the answer.

Re: warm and fuzzy

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
On 16 Jul 2003, Robert Treat wrote:

> so this was pretty cool, but then i found this article
> (http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=369) which is a
> technical article about using open source software in the geographic and
> location industries. I quote:
>
> "An older open source database, called PostgreSQL [11], has had
> geographic capabilities for some time, but we were unfamiliar with
> PostgreSQL and were looking more for performance and convenience than
> serious functionality (a PostgreSQL user might tell you this is
> unwarranted stereotyping). "

As long as we're talking about GIS and databases this link will do a lot
to emphasize where PostgreSQL shines in comparison to MySQL and their
MS-kind-of press release of GIS capabilities.

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2003-June/002651.html

Rod