warm and fuzzy - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject warm and fuzzy
Date
Re: warm and fuzzy  ("Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders@acm.org>)
List pgsql-advocacy
I cam across this article
(http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/07/14/1513220.shtml?tid=11) which
describes the attempted use of a new groupware oriented software
package. While it was somewhat negative on the software itself, it did
have this nice quote in it:

"For a supposedly mature piece of software, it would seem that even a
cumbersome step-by-step installation guide using PostgreSQL, the one
database which everyone has, would have been an obvious document to
release with the code."

maybe that can be our new slogan, "the one database which everyone has"
:-)

so this was pretty cool, but then i found this article
(http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=369) which is a
technical article about using open source software in the geographic and
location industries. I quote:

"An older open source database, called PostgreSQL [11], has had
geographic capabilities for some time, but we were unfamiliar with
PostgreSQL and were looking more for performance and convenience than
serious functionality (a PostgreSQL user might tell you this is
unwarranted stereotyping). "

<sigh>
It's kind of sad to see a quote like this from a source that you know
some people are looking toward for valid technical information. I'd love
to see the PostGIS guys write up an article about how one might go about
using geographic data for serious applications.

Robert Treat