Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread

From
Eric Frazier
Date:
Hi,

3.2.23 was a LONG time ago. One thing I like about mysql is that they are
constantly making major improvements.  I have asked this before, where is
Replication with PostgreSQL? If there was a system that could handle more
than one master without hacking, I would seriously look into switching to
PostgreSQL again. Currently mysql can't handle more than one master cleanly.
Lack of built in Replication is the main thing that continues to keep us
from using PostgreSQL. All of the little,  "baby can't learn how to program
or write SQL functions"  don't do crap for me, but Replication is a large
part of our network structure, we can't do without it and we certainly don't
want to use a third party product. Patching together tools like what happens
with a qmail install is not a system I want to be responsible for. And yet I
like qmail a great deal, and I like what I have seen of PostgreSQL.

Thanks,

Eric

At 10:19 PM 6/22/03 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
>> Interesting thread (php-dev subj: removing bundled libmysql):
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-dev&m=105621066832429&w=2
>
>Hoo boy.  Did you catch the part about
>
>>> and the MySQL 3.2.23
>>> library can't connect to MySQL 4.1 servers, rendering it broken.
>
>Backwards compatibility must not be a consideration over there...
>
>> We need to use this opportunity to encourage PHP folks to switch to
>> PostgreSQL.
>
>Indeed.  What can we do exactly?
>
>            regards, tom lane

(250) 655 - 9513 (PST Time Zone)

"Inquiry is fatal to certainty." -- Will Durant

Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
> 3.2.23 was a LONG time ago. One thing I like about mysql is that they are
> constantly making major improvements.

What?? What "major" improvements?  They haven't had a major improvement for
years!  Their roadmap has had "foreign key support" on it back when I first
started using it 5 years ago!!!

In that same time, PostgreSQL has added:

* write-ahead log
* full subselect support
* almost all sql92 constructs
* schemas
* domains
* constraints
* triggers
* rules
* casts, conversions
* full support for different encodings
* prepared queries
* dependency tracking
* set-returning-functions
* table statistics based query planner
* full transaction support
* unlimited field sizes, all of it can be indexed instead of the first n
bytes!
* thousands of nameless improvements
* information_schema
* hash aggregates
* PLUS we already had all the "new" stuff that MySQL is adding (eg. GIS,
rtree indexes)

And what has MySQL done?  Replication and built-in full text indexing?
UNIONs as well - hooray!  Big deal.

> I have asked this before, where is
> Replication with PostgreSQL? If there was a system that could handle more
> than one master without hacking, I would seriously look into switching to
> PostgreSQL again. Currently mysql can't handle more than one master
cleanly.
> Lack of built in Replication is the main thing that continues to keep us
> from using PostgreSQL. All of the little,  "baby can't learn how to
program
> or write SQL functions"  don't do crap for me, but Replication is a large
> part of our network structure, we can't do without it and we certainly
don't
> want to use a third party product. Patching together tools like what
happens
> with a qmail install is not a system I want to be responsible for. And yet
> like qmail a great deal, and I like what I have seen of PostgreSQL.

Replication is a big feature, and it happens to be one that PostgreSQL
doesn't really have.  If you NEED it, then PostgreSQL might not be for you.
However, the entire .org domain is run of replicated PostgreSQL servers
using eRserver I think.  Why don't you want to use a 3rd party product?

Chris

Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread

Date:
>> 3.2.23 was a LONG time ago. One thing I like about mysql is that they are
>> constantly making major improvements.

> What?? What "major" improvements?  They haven't had a major improvement for
> years!  Their roadmap has had "foreign key support" on it back when I first
> started using it 5 years ago!!!
> In that same time, PostgreSQL has added:
> [long list]

I think a few of these were there more than five years ago.  But yeah,
the notion that PG isn't "constantly making major improvements" is
laughable.

I'd be interested to see an unbiased comparison of how much each project
has gotten done in the last several years.  I'm certainly not qualified
to say what MySQL has gotten done ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Eric Frazier wrote:

> constantly making major improvements.  I have asked this before, where is
> Replication with PostgreSQL?

Replication for PostgreSQL has been available, and in production use, for
at least two years now ... the .ORG registry is using eRServer ... there
was also a patch for contrib/rserv submit'd just the other week to make it
multi-slave ... there is also pgreplication (on gborg) and dbmirror ...
all of which have been around for ages now ...

Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread

From
Gavin M.Roy
Date:
My guess is he is referring to "out of the box" replication for pgsql,
which would definitely be a feature in it's cap.

Gavin

On Sunday, June 22, 2003, at 09:59 PM, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Eric Frazier wrote:
>
>> constantly making major improvements.  I have asked this before,
>> where is
>> Replication with PostgreSQL?
>

> Replication for PostgreSQL has been available, and in production use,
> for
> at least two years now ... the .ORG registry is using eRServer ...
> there
> was also a patch for contrib/rserv submit'd just the other week to
> make it
> multi-slave ... there is also pgreplication (on gborg) and dbmirror ...
> all of which have been around for ages now ...
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread

From
Mike Benoit
Date:
Has anyone else had difficulties gettng a hold of the eRServer people?
I've been instructed to look in to replication with PostgreSQL for
mainly fail-over reasons and it seems I can't even throw money at
eRServer, they won't answer my repeated emails, its been almost 2 weeks
now. :(

It doesn't instill very much confidence, especially since they seem to
focus on support. Maybe someone who works there will read this and get
in touch with me, I'm still very much interested in working with them.

On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 21:59, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Eric Frazier wrote:
>
> > constantly making major improvements.  I have asked this before, where is
> > Replication with PostgreSQL?
>

> Replication for PostgreSQL has been available, and in production use, for
> at least two years now ... the .ORG registry is using eRServer ... there
> was also a patch for contrib/rserv submit'd just the other week to make it
> multi-slave ... there is also pgreplication (on gborg) and dbmirror ...
> all of which have been around for ages now ...

Best Regards,

Mike Benoit
NetNation Communications Inc.
Systems Engineer
Tel: 604-684-6892 or 888-983-6600
 ---------------------------------------

 Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are my own and not
 necessarily those of my employer

Date:
On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Mike Benoit wrote:

> Has anyone else had difficulties gettng a hold of the eRServer people?
> I've been instructed to look in to replication with PostgreSQL for
> mainly fail-over reasons and it seems I can't even throw money at
> eRServer, they won't answer my repeated emails, its been almost 2 weeks
> now. :(

HI Mike ... what address have you been sending to?

Re: [GENERAL] interesting PHP/MySQL thread

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 01:59:10AM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Replication for PostgreSQL has been available, and in production use, for
> at least two years now ... the .ORG registry is using eRServer ... there
> was also a patch for contrib/rserv submit'd just the other week to make it
> multi-slave ... there is also pgreplication (on gborg) and dbmirror ...
> all of which have been around for ages now ...

To be fair, none of these has had much attention.  Wide deployment is
still the best evidence of full testing, and I don't know that _any_
of the replication systems for PostgreSQL have been installed and
used under a wide variety of circumstances.  The lack of a real,
built-in replication system in Postgres is a fundamental problem, and
therefore the sort of thing that people justifiably point to as a
missing feature.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110