PostgreSQL Benchmarks

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
Hrm.  I just saw that the PHP ADODB guy just published a bunch of database
benchmarks.  It's fairly evident to me that benchmarking PostgreSQL on
Win32 isn't really fair:

http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance

*sigh*

Chris

Re: PostgreSQL Benchmarks

From
greg@turnstep.com
Date:

Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Benchmarks

From
Greg Copeland
Date:
On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 08:26, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Hrm.  I just saw that the PHP ADODB guy just published a bunch of database
> benchmarks.  It's fairly evident to me that benchmarking PostgreSQL on
> Win32 isn't really fair:
>
> http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance
>
> *sigh*

How much of the performance difference is from the RDBMS, from the
middleware, and from the quality of implementation in the middleware.

While I'm not surprised that the the cygwin version of PostgreSQL is
slow, those results don't tell me anything about the quality of the
middleware interface between PHP and PostgreSQL.  Does anyone know if we
can rule out some of the performance loss by pinning it to bad
middleware implementation for PostgreSQL?

Greg Copeland <greg@copelandconsulting.net>
Copeland Computer Consulting

Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Benchmarks

From
Kevin Brown
Date:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Hrm.  I just saw that the PHP ADODB guy just published a bunch of database
> benchmarks.  It's fairly evident to me that benchmarking PostgreSQL on
> Win32 isn't really fair:
>
> http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance
>
> *sigh*

Not fair, perhaps.

But if you look, you'll see that *Cygwin* PostgreSQL beat most
everything on the Win32 platform except MySQL and Oracle with PL/SQL.
Read further and you'll see that Cygwin PostgreSQL came *really* close
(within 10% or something) to MS-SQL.

Considering that they weren't even running a native version of
PostgreSQL, I think the results were surprisingly *good*.

But yes, we really do want to be the fastest.  :-)

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com

Re: PostgreSQL Benchmarks

From
Ketrien Saihr-Kenchedra
Date:
On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 09:26, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Hrm.  I just saw that the PHP ADODB guy just published a bunch of database
> benchmarks.  It's fairly evident to me that benchmarking PostgreSQL on
> Win32 isn't really fair:
> http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance
> *sigh*

There's fundamental flaws with this test. Well, more than that.
First off, if you read the hardware specs, you know that this guy is,
well, either ignorant, or flat out lying. There is no question of that -
I'm familiar with the Sun E450, and it's slowest available module is the
250MHz UltraSPARC with I believe 1MB eCache. You cannot equip an E450
with two 167MHz (NOT 166MHz) processors.
Secondly, it's obvious from this blatant error that the person in question
is clearly not qualified to be performing a benchmark like this, or any benchmark
involving cross-platform testing. We have no comparable numbers on the E450's
for the other engines, whatsoever. PHP and MySQL and PostgreSQL all run on
Solaris, and gcc is available from SunFreeware as a Solaris package.
Point blank, this benchmark is forged or doctored, the person performing it
is clearly not qualified to do this, and it completely discredits itself with
a total lack of disclosure. I think it is more important to simply point this
out, than to argue Pg is better than this that or the other. Just my $0.02.
--
-- Ketrien Saihr-Kenchedra <ksaihr@error404.nls.net>
   Lead Developer and Project Mangler, LiveJournal/PostgreSQL

Re: PostgreSQL Benchmarks

From
Ketrien Saihr-Kenchedra
Date:
On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 09:26, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Hrm.  I just saw that the PHP ADODB guy just published a bunch of database
> benchmarks.  It's fairly evident to me that benchmarking PostgreSQL on
> Win32 isn't really fair:
> http://php.weblogs.com/oracle_mysql_performance
> *sigh*

There's two fundamental flaws with this test. Well, more than that.
First off, if you read the hardware specs, you know that this guy is,
well, either ignorant, or flat out lying. There is no question of that -
I'm familiar with the Sun E450, and it's slowest available module is the
300MHz UltraSPARC with I believe 1MB eCache. You cannot equip an E450
with two 167MHz (NOT 166MHz) processors.
Secondly, it's clear that something was doctored in the results or the
queries, which was not mentioned, by the difference between MySQL and
Oracle 8.1.7 on the purportedly 'same' Windows workstation, is absurdly
slow compared to MySQL. Figures are incomplete, proper details of the
systems are not provided, etcetera.
Point blank, this benchmark is clearly forged or doctored, and
completely discredits itself with a total lack of disclosure. I think it
is more important to simply point this out, than to argue Pg is better
than this that or the other, quite frankly.