Linux world Article

From
Jason Hihn
Date:
MySQL and PostgreSQL vs. the commercial offerings.
http://linuxworld.com.au/news.php3?nid=2095&tid=1

MySQL gets most of the spotlight, though. >:-(

Re: Linux world Article

From
Jason Hihn
Date:
Ok, now that we've all had a chance to read it...

Do we know why Apple chose MySQL?

Are these statements true?
"But when it comes to core SQL capabilities, open-source databases do not
support all the features that proprietary enterprise databases such as IBM's
DB2 or Oracle's 9i do."

"Open-source database providers readily admit that their databases are not
yet geared toward powering high-end enterprise systems, such as ERP and CRM
applications."

I could see that being applied to MySQL, but I thought PostgreSQL was ready!
-J

MySQL and PostgreSQL vs. the commercial offerings.
http://linuxworld.com.au/news.php3?nid=2095&tid=1

MySQL gets most of the spotlight, though. >:-(

http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: Linux world Article

From
Dan Langille
Date:
On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Jason Hihn wrote:

> Ok, now that we've all had a chance to read it...

Yeah... right... all of us?  ;)

> Do we know why Apple chose MySQL?

Why do you think that is important?

> Are these statements true?
> "But when it comes to core SQL capabilities, open-source databases do not
> support all the features that proprietary enterprise databases such as IBM's
> DB2 or Oracle's 9i do."

I think it is true.  If, for example, PG supported all the features that
9i did, then it would be 9i.  There is no need to implement every feature
that everyone else does.

> "Open-source database providers readily admit that their databases are not
> yet geared toward powering high-end enterprise systems, such as ERP and CRM
> applications."

Sounds like a general statement pulled out of a hat instead of a quote
attributed to someone.

Re: Linux world Article

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 24 Dec 2002 at 10:04, Jason Hihn wrote:

> Ok, now that we've all had a chance to read it...
>
> Do we know why Apple chose MySQL?
>
> Are these statements true?
> "But when it comes to core SQL capabilities, open-source databases do not
> support all the features that proprietary enterprise databases such as IBM's
> DB2 or Oracle's 9i do."
>
> "Open-source database providers readily admit that their databases are not
> yet geared toward powering high-end enterprise systems, such as ERP and CRM
> applications."
>
> I could see that being applied to MySQL, but I thought PostgreSQL was ready!

Too bad I didn't find a comments section in there to write a "contentful"
reply..

How about sending the editor a note or ask for a special article on postgresql.
I am sure we can get plenty of authors..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Goldenstern's Rules:    (1) Always hire a rich attorney    (2) Never buy from a rich
salesman.

Re: Linux world Article

From
Jason Hihn
Done. I'll let you all know what I hear.

How about sending the editor a note or ask for a special article on
postgresql.
I am sure we can get plenty of authors..

Re: Linux world Article

From
Jason Hihn
newsforge.com just picked up this article...