Re: Linux world Article - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dan Langille
Subject Re: Linux world Article
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, Jason Hihn wrote:

> Ok, now that we've all had a chance to read it...

Yeah... right... all of us?  ;)

> Do we know why Apple chose MySQL?

Why do you think that is important?

> Are these statements true?
> "But when it comes to core SQL capabilities, open-source databases do not
> support all the features that proprietary enterprise databases such as IBM's
> DB2 or Oracle's 9i do."

I think it is true.  If, for example, PG supported all the features that
9i did, then it would be 9i.  There is no need to implement every feature
that everyone else does.

> "Open-source database providers readily admit that their databases are not
> yet geared toward powering high-end enterprise systems, such as ERP and CRM
> applications."

Sounds like a general statement pulled out of a hat instead of a quote
attributed to someone.