Need a better way to word this statement for the press release

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi everyone,

There's a line in the draft Press Release for version 7.3 that says:

 - Dozens of performance enhancements and bug fixes to maintain
   PostgreSQL's leading position in ORDMBSs.

Can anyone think of better wording for it?

Perhaps:

 - Dozens of performance enhancements to maintain PostgreSQL's
   leading position in ORDMBSs.
 - All known bugs fixed.

Except that "all known bugs fixed" isn't right.  There's still that
"to_cash()" bug isn't there?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Need a better way to word this statement for the press release

From
"Dan Langille"
Date:
On 24 Nov 2002 at 20:13, Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> There's a line in the draft Press Release for version 7.3 that says:
>
>  - Dozens of performance enhancements and bug fixes to maintain
>    PostgreSQL's leading position in ORDMBSs.

I have just awaken, but how about:

In keeping with its leading position amongst ORDMBSs, the team has
undertaken over 70 performance enhancing changes to make PostgreSQL
even faster than before.

- adjust that number to reflect reality.

- That doesn't mention bug fixes, but perhaps that should be
mentioned in another statement?  Like what you said below?

> Perhaps:
>
>  - Dozens of performance enhancements to maintain PostgreSQL's
>    leading position in ORDMBSs.
>  - All known bugs fixed.
>
> Except that "all known bugs fixed" isn't right.  There's still that
> "to_cash()" bug isn't there?

I an not familiar with it.  Is it a bug or a mis-documented feature?
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/

Re: Need a better way to word this statement for the press release

From
Neil Conway
Date:
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
>  - All known bugs fixed.
>
> Except that "all known bugs fixed" isn't right.  There's still that
> "to_cash()" bug isn't there?

I believe that was fix when Tom overhauled OPAQUE, but I agree that
talking about "all known bugs" isn't a great idea.

Cheers,

Neil

Date:
On 24 Nov 2002 at 11:05, Neil Conway wrote:

> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> >  - All known bugs fixed.
> >
> > Except that "all known bugs fixed" isn't right.  There's still that
> > "to_cash()" bug isn't there?
>
> I believe that was fix when Tom overhauled OPAQUE, but I agree that
> talking about "all known bugs" isn't a great idea.

It is OK if it's true, but whether or not it is true is for others to
decide as I don't have that knowledge.

Some might argue that evening mentioning bug fixes is not a good
idea. I hold that it is better to say "we fixed X PRs" than to not
mention it.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/

Re: Need a better way to word this statement for the press release

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Dan Langille wrote:

> On 24 Nov 2002 at 11:05, Neil Conway wrote:
>
>> Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
>> >  - All known bugs fixed.
>> >
>> > Except that "all known bugs fixed" isn't right.  There's still that
>> > "to_cash()" bug isn't there?
>>
>> I believe that was fix when Tom overhauled OPAQUE, but I agree that
>> talking about "all known bugs" isn't a great idea.
>
> It is OK if it's true, but whether or not it is true is for others to
> decide as I don't have that knowledge.

I still wouldn't like it.  Saying "All Known Bugs" implies that we feel there
may be bugs that we don't know about.

> Some might argue that evening mentioning bug fixes is not a good
> idea. I hold that it is better to say "we fixed X PRs" than to not
> mention it.

I would have no problem not mentioning bugs at all.  Saying nothing does not
give the implication that we didn't fix any bugs, but saying something seems
to imply something worse in most cases.  If we really feel we need to mention
it, I'd stay with the current wording over the given alternatives.

Robert Treat

Re: Need a better way to word this statement for the

From
Jason Hihn
Date:
I usually say "all [reported] bugs have been (resolved|closed)" or something
to that effect -"There are no known bugs remaining to be fixed".

And about that "best has gotten better'" line. I don't like it, but I don't
really have anything that I like either. I did come put with "With this
release PostgreSQL solidifies it's position as the [premiere] [descriptions
follow: standards-compliant, reliable and full-featured Open Source]
ORDBMS."

Hope that helps.
-J