backhanded compliment from Larry Ellison

From
Robert Treat
Date:
In a recent article Larry Ellison was discussing "Unbreakable Linux"
(Oracle 9iRAC on Red Hat) where he said that because of the robust
security and reliability of its database, Oracle did not feel threatened
by Open Source databases such as MySQL and Postgres.

He was then quoted as saying "They are a bigger threat to [Microsoft]
SQL Server than Oracle."

Not a ringing endorsement, but I have to agree because I think we beat
sql server hands down. The only thing we don't do is run on windows
natively, but if we get that in 7.4, we should be able to eliminate sql
server from the database market :-)

Full Story:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3004965&thesection=technology&thesubsection=general

Robert Treat

Re: backhanded compliment from Larry Ellison

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Robert,

> He was then quoted as saying "They are a bigger threat to [Microsoft]
> SQL Server than Oracle."

I've always felt the same.  In fact, I tried to persuade the president
of Great Bridge to target SQL Server before taking on Oracle, without
success.

Oracle has a market advantage that has nothing to do with features, and
everything to do with good image marketing.   Despite that, we are
forcing them to our economic model ... over the last 5 years, Oracle's
license revenue has shrunk while their service revenue has climbed
steadily.   IBM understood this from the get-go, and has focused on
support & service for DB2, making discount/bundled licenses readily
available.

To put it another way:  People who buy Oracle 9i or IBM DB2 are not
buying a database, they are buying a company.   We can't fight that
directly, and should not try.

> Not a ringing endorsement, but I have to agree because I think we
> beat
> sql server hands down. The only thing we don't do is run on windows
> natively, but if we get that in 7.4, we should be able to eliminate
> sql
> server from the database market :-)

There are still some respects where we trail MS SQL Server:
1) slower performance on massive data updates
2) point-in-time recovery
3) in-database replication tools
4) GUI DBA tools (i.e. tools to manage configuration params, backup,
process management)
5) automated version upgrade/patching

Also, keep in mind that 80% of MS SQL server purchases are an included
part of vertical applications ... that is, people are not buying MS SQL
Server, they are buying ELBS or Great Plains Accounting.   These
purchases we will not influence until we can get similar commercial
vertical apps to adopt postgresql.

Anybody know someone at AccPac Innternational?

This is a good opportunity -- MS SQL Server is weak and not getting
better, and MS's acquisition of Great Plains was a dismal failure --
financial software is sold on support, and MS support sucks -- so we
could pick up and entire industry segment if we make the right
alliances.

Just a thought.

-Josh Berkus

Re: backhanded compliment from Larry Ellison

From
Shane McChesney
Date:
On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:16:29 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>Robert,
>
>>He was then quoted as saying "They are a bigger threat to
>>[Microsoft]
>>SQL Server than Oracle."
>
>I've always felt the same.  In fact, I tried to persuade the
>president of Great Bridge to target SQL Server before taking on
>Oracle, without success.

I've got to disagree with LarryE on this one, although I agree with
many of Josh's points in that last email.

As I've written lately and Josh pointed out here:

> ... over the last 5 years,
>Oracle's license revenue has shrunk while their service revenue has
>climbed steadily.

..while we cannot say the same about Microsoft's license revenues.

Oracle and PostgreSQL run on the same platforms, but PostgreSQL does
not yet run natively on Windows. We'll get there, but until we do
PostgreSQL cannot nearly be the competitive consideration in MS shops
that it is in Oracle shops.

I know that Oracle and PostgreSQL use more similar procedural
languages than PostgreSQL and MS SQL Server do, making conversion (at
least theoretically) slightly easier from Oracle than from MS.

Speaking as a PostgreSQL newbie and a Linux newbie, but as the
president of a small and therefore supposedly nimble company: getting
out of Windows 2000 and MS SQL Server and into Linux and PostgreSQL
is not an easy task, and that's more the OS than the DBMS.

Maybe Larry defines the word "threat" as something in the future, a
bad thing that hasn't happened yet. As in the big kid who beat you up
and took your lunch money earlier today is no longer a threat, he's a
painful reality.

Since we'll have a big effect on MS eventually, and PostgreSQL has
been having a big effect on Oracle for some time now, well, in that
sense, I guess Larry is right, it may be more of a "threat" to MS.

PostgreSQL is already *more* than a threat to Oracle, it's a promise.

Anyway, Josh is right: alliances are as important as marketing and
support and having a top-notch product to the success of PostgreSQL
going forward.

I have no doubt we'll see more and more firms building their software
on PostgreSQL over time.

- Shane McChesney

Date:
On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 12:16, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > He was then quoted as saying "They are a bigger threat to [Microsoft]
> > SQL Server than Oracle."
>
> I've always felt the same.  In fact, I tried to persuade the president
> of Great Bridge to target SQL Server before taking on Oracle, without
> success.

I don't think you can really take on microsoft until you have native
windows support. For the few commercial companies that have a native
postgresql solution now, they should be marketing that like crazy.

<snip>

> Also, keep in mind that 80% of MS SQL server purchases are an included
> part of vertical applications ... that is, people are not buying MS SQL
> Server, they are buying ELBS or Great Plains Accounting.   These
> purchases we will not influence until we can get similar commercial
> vertical apps to adopt postgresql.

yep, but I think our lack of a native windows version has kept a lot of
these companies from adopting us more so than anything else.

> This is a good opportunity -- MS SQL Server is weak and not getting
> better, and MS's acquisition of Great Plains was a dismal failure --
> financial software is sold on support, and MS support sucks -- so we
> could pick up and entire industry segment if we make the right
> alliances.

Robert Treat

Re: backhanded compliment from Larry Ellison

From
Jason Hihn
Date:
I agree, though I think the motivation for his quote was more to elevate
Oracle above the rest. By implying that PostgreSQL will give MS a run for
its money, he implies that both MS and PostgreSQL are in the same class-yet
inferior to Oracle. It's a wonderfully crafted statement. I'm taking it as
praise, with promotion of Oracle on the side, which is to be expected.

I also agree that when PostgreSQL goes native win32, all heck will break
loose in terms of competition and deployments. I'm pretty tech savvy, but I
found it not an easy thing to get it running under windows. Mostly, it was
not-up-to-date or lacking documentation on the web (mostly regarding the IPC
service), but enough searching got me what I needed to know.

This however is insufficient when courting the window's market. I'm afraid
you'll need a gui installer and gui administration tool for the click-n-fix
MCS[E|A]s that would be in charge of it. Gaining their acceptance is key for
PostgreSQL to succeed in the enterprise.

-J

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:16:29 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
>Robert,
>
>>He was then quoted as saying "They are a bigger threat to
>>[Microsoft]
>>SQL Server than Oracle."
>
>I've always felt the same.  In fact, I tried to persuade the
>president of Great Bridge to target SQL Server before taking on
>Oracle, without success.

I've got to disagree with LarryE on this one, although I agree with
many of Josh's points in that last email.

As I've written lately and Josh pointed out here:

> ... over the last 5 years,
>Oracle's license revenue has shrunk while their service revenue has
>climbed steadily.

..while we cannot say the same about Microsoft's license revenues.

Oracle and PostgreSQL run on the same platforms, but PostgreSQL does
not yet run natively on Windows. We'll get there, but until we do
PostgreSQL cannot nearly be the competitive consideration in MS shops
that it is in Oracle shops.

I know that Oracle and PostgreSQL use more similar procedural
languages than PostgreSQL and MS SQL Server do, making conversion (at
least theoretically) slightly easier from Oracle than from MS.

Speaking as a PostgreSQL newbie and a Linux newbie, but as the
president of a small and therefore supposedly nimble company: getting
out of Windows 2000 and MS SQL Server and into Linux and PostgreSQL
is not an easy task, and that's more the OS than the DBMS.

Maybe Larry defines the word "threat" as something in the future, a
bad thing that hasn't happened yet. As in the big kid who beat you up
and took your lunch money earlier today is no longer a threat, he's a
painful reality.

Since we'll have a big effect on MS eventually, and PostgreSQL has
been having a big effect on Oracle for some time now, well, in that
sense, I guess Larry is right, it may be more of a "threat" to MS.

PostgreSQL is already *more* than a threat to Oracle, it's a promise.

Anyway, Josh is right: alliances are as important as marketing and
support and having a top-notch product to the success of PostgreSQL
going forward.

I have no doubt we'll see more and more firms building their software
on PostgreSQL over time.

- Shane McChesney

Re: backhanded compliment from Larry Ellison

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> There are still some respects where we trail MS SQL Server:
> 1) slower performance on massive data updates
> 2) point-in-time recovery
> 3) in-database replication tools
> 4) GUI DBA tools (i.e. tools to manage configuration params,
> backup, process management)
> 5) automated version upgrade/patching

I'd like to add one more line to that list, which is definitly holding
us back from using it in a few situations:
6) Integrated Windows login.

Meaning once you're on the domain, you have your permissions in the
database server. I know we're all supposed to use web based applications
and do our security there and just log in with a fixed account in the
database, but in reality a huge amount of applications are still just
client<->RDBMS. And not requiring every user to remember *yet another*
password is a huge selling point for MS SQL.
Might work with Kerberos in some way - haven't tried that since we're
still on NT4 on the clients. NTLM is the one that works across different
windows versions...

//Magnus

Re: backhanded compliment from Larry Ellison

From
Jason Hihn
Date:
Could the Samba software/people help with that? It seems that they should
have a generic library that all apps should be able to link to. If not, I
think it'd be a good idea...
(Great, yet another RPM dependency...)

> There are still some respects where we trail MS SQL Server:
> 1) slower performance on massive data updates
> 2) point-in-time recovery
> 3) in-database replication tools
> 4) GUI DBA tools (i.e. tools to manage configuration params,
> backup, process management)
> 5) automated version upgrade/patching

I'd like to add one more line to that list, which is definitly holding
us back from using it in a few situations:
6) Integrated Windows login.

Meaning once you're on the domain, you have your permissions in the
database server. I know we're all supposed to use web based applications
and do our security there and just log in with a fixed account in the
database, but in reality a huge amount of applications are still just
client<->RDBMS. And not requiring every user to remember *yet another*
password is a huge selling point for MS SQL.
Might work with Kerberos in some way - haven't tried that since we're
still on NT4 on the clients. NTLM is the one that works across different
windows versions...

//Magnus

Re: backhanded compliment from Larry Ellison

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Magnus,

> I'd like to add one more line to that list, which is definitly
> holding
> us back from using it in a few situations:
> 6) Integrated Windows login.
>
> Meaning once you're on the domain, you have your permissions in the
> database server.

Hmmm ... not sure that's such a desirable feature.   The "integrated
login" was the source of one of the SQL server worms.   And delving
into the MS authentication protocols is probably a good way to waste a
couple of 100 hours as well as get sued by MS under the DCMA.

I also tend to *not* use user's logins for the database, relying
instead on encrypted application logins and application security to
manage user rights.

Mind you, in one of my clients' heterogenous shops, we have integrated
login, effectively ... the office has an integrated Samba/NIS
authentication server, and one of the databases uses PAM
authentication, thus providing client --> server authentication for
both Postgres and SQL Server.

Works great, though WIndows XP will cause problems with the setup
eventually.

-Josh Berkus