Re: backhanded compliment from Larry Ellison - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: backhanded compliment from Larry Ellison
Date
Re: backhanded compliment from Larry Ellison
List pgsql-advocacy
> There are still some respects where we trail MS SQL Server:
> 1) slower performance on massive data updates
> 2) point-in-time recovery
> 3) in-database replication tools
> 4) GUI DBA tools (i.e. tools to manage configuration params,
> backup, process management)
> 5) automated version upgrade/patching

I'd like to add one more line to that list, which is definitly holding
us back from using it in a few situations:
6) Integrated Windows login.

Meaning once you're on the domain, you have your permissions in the
database server. I know we're all supposed to use web based applications
and do our security there and just log in with a fixed account in the
database, but in reality a huge amount of applications are still just
client<->RDBMS. And not requiring every user to remember *yet another*
password is a huge selling point for MS SQL.
Might work with Kerberos in some way - haven't tried that since we're
still on NT4 on the clients. NTLM is the one that works across different
windows versions...

//Magnus