GUI Tools List

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Folks,

First draft of GUI Tools are up at:
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/GUITools

I had some trouble with the guides-based formatting ... can anyone fix
this?

-Josh Berkus

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com

Re: GUI Tools List

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Josh,

Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> First draft of GUI Tools are up at:
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/GUITools

Cool.  Looks like a good list.  :)

Excellent effort there.

> I had some trouble with the guides-based formatting ... can anyone fix
> this?

Done.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> -Josh Berkus

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: GUI Tools List

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Justin,

> Cool.  Looks like a good list.  :)
>
> Excellent effort there.

Thanks.  So ... when do we get authentication for Guides, so that I can
publish a link on NOVICE?

-Josh Berkus

Re: GUI Tools List

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> Justin,
>
> > Cool.  Looks like a good list.  :)
> >
> > Excellent effort there.
>
> Thanks.  So ... when do we get authentication for Guides, so that I can
> publish a link on NOVICE?

Am flat out at the moment trying to get things happening for in some
other areas, so it might not be anything before next week.  :-/

Would you feel comfortable publishing the link anyway, as we do have
Undo capabilities if anything seriously bad happens?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> -Josh Berkus

> http://archives.postgresql.org

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: GUI Tools List

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 13 Nov 2002 at 21:59, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> First draft of GUI Tools are up at:
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/GUITools

A suggestion. If kylix can make it there, why drop Qt? It supports data aware
widgets with postgresql as one of the backends since version 3. I guess it
should be there..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Witch!  Witch!  They'll burn ya!        -- Hag, "Tomorrow is Yesterday", stardate
unknown

Re: GUI Tools List

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Thursday 14 Nov 2002 6:57 am, Justin Clift wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Justin,
> >
> > > Cool.  Looks like a good list.  :)
> > >
> > > Excellent effort there.
> >
> > Thanks.  So ... when do we get authentication for Guides, so that I can
> > publish a link on NOVICE?
>
> Am flat out at the moment trying to get things happening for in some
> other areas, so it might not be anything before next week.  :-/
>
> Would you feel comfortable publishing the link anyway, as we do have
> Undo capabilities if anything seriously bad happens?

Could we not put a <LocationMatch "/editform"> into the httpd.conf and use
standard Apache auth to lock off the edit pages? Single user and password
should do for the moment.

--
  Richard Huxton

Re: GUI Tools List

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Richard Huxton wrote:
<snip>
> Could we not put a <LocationMatch "/editform"> into the httpd.conf and use
> standard Apache auth to lock off the edit pages? Single user and password
> should do for the moment.

Sure.

Depends on what we really want to do here.  At the moment (with not
playing around with authorisation stuff) we have a couple of options:

 - Lock editing ability to only selected userid/passwords.  It's really
easy to setup.  Can create userid/passwords for any members of the
Advocacy team that want them and then mark individual documents or
folders as being "Authorised Members only" for editing.  An make default
policies too, but would rather let anyone create new documents as easily
as possible.

 - Have the "Add a comment" ability either Authorised users only, or
open to everyone, or off completely.

Was really wanting to allow anyone who has registered with the Techdocs
site to have the ability to edit stuff, but for now if the best solution
is different, then ok.

Does this make sense?

:-)

Regards and best wishses,

Justin Clift

> --
>   Richard Huxton

   - Indira Gandhi

Wiki auth options - was Re: GUI Tools List

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Thursday 14 Nov 2002 12:13 pm, Justin Clift wrote:
> Depends on what we really want to do here.  At the moment (with not
> playing around with authorisation stuff) we have a couple of options:
>
>  - Lock editing ability to only selected userid/passwords.  It's really
> easy to setup.  Can create userid/passwords for any members of the
> Advocacy team that want them and then mark individual documents or
> folders as being "Authorised Members only" for editing.  An make default
> policies too, but would rather let anyone create new documents as easily
> as possible.

I think quick and dirty as a temporary solution. Half a dozen real logins and
a "spare" user along with some additions to the help. Anyone in the wider
community who has a burning need to add something can do so using the "spare"
login. Sort it out properly once 7.3 is out and things settle down.

>  - Have the "Add a comment" ability either Authorised users only, or
> open to everyone, or off completely.

Leave it public, I suppose. Doesn't seem to cause any problems with idocs.

> Was really wanting to allow anyone who has registered with the Techdocs
> site to have the ability to edit stuff, but for now if the best solution
> is different, then ok.
>
> Does this make sense?

Just get something workable up and running for the moment IMHO.

--
  Richard Huxton

Re: GUI Tools List

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Shridhar,

> A suggestion. If kylix can make it there, why drop Qt? It supports
> data aware
> widgets with postgresql as one of the backends since version 3. I
> guess it
> should be there..

I didn't put it in because I didn't think of it.   How about adding it?

And, PEOPLE!  Please sign your comments and/or reviews.   We need to
have folks' initials by the reviews, so if you want stuff included,
tell us who you are.

-Josh

Re: GUI Tools List

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 14 Nov 2002 at 9:27, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Shridhar,
>
> > A suggestion. If kylix can make it there, why drop Qt? It supports
> > data aware
> > widgets with postgresql as one of the backends since version 3. I
> > guess it
> > should be there..
>
> I didn't put it in because I didn't think of it.   How about adding it?

I will do that. Bit busy at the moemnt fighting with some C++ issues in gcc3.2
and mandrake9. Would do by today after some research on Qt details. Its been
long time I have worked on it.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Bubble Memory, n.:    A derogatory term, usually referring to a person's
intelligence.    See also "vacuum tube".

Re: GUI Tools List

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 14 Nov 2002 at 9:27, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Shridhar,
>
> > A suggestion. If kylix can make it there, why drop Qt? It supports
> > data aware
> > widgets with postgresql as one of the backends since version 3. I
> > guess it
> > should be there..
>
> I didn't put it in because I didn't think of it.   How about adding it?

Sorry to dig up an old thread. Here are my additions. I add one of them via
comment but thought somebody must be maintaining the applications list.

Please delete my comment on that page
(http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/GUITools)..

A preview button would be nice there..

KNoda
http://www.knoda.org/

knoda is a database frontend for KDE. It is based on hk_classes and is released
under the GNU General Public License (GPL).

Qt
http://trolltech.com
http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/modules.html

Qt is cross-platform library for desktop development. It features database
enabled widgets among many other thing. Postgresql is one database it can talk
to, along with several others

Thanks..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Herth's Law:    He who turns the other cheek too far gets it in the neck.