Default session timeout in PG?

From
Lou Picciano
Date:
Gang,

(Think I've seen the answer to this already, but:) is there any 'innate', or 'default' session timeout function built in to PG?

We have certain clients who seem to timeout pretty frequently, while others seem to never time out at all; before we start diagnosing networks, I want to be sure there's nothing we can do server-side to ameliorate/control the problem.

If I recall correctly, PG does not, by default, timeout its connections, right?

Many thanks - Lou

Re: Default session timeout in PG?

From
Craig James
Date:
On 10/4/10 10:36 AM, Lou Picciano wrote:
> (Think I've seen the answer to this already, but:) is there any 'innate', or
>  'default' session timeout function built in to PG?
>
> We have certain clients who seem to timeout pretty frequently, while
>  others seem to never time out at all; before we start diagnosing networks, I want to be sure there's nothing we can
doserver-side to ameliorate/control the problem.

We discovered the other day that a whole class of Netgear routers (designed for small businesses) contain a bug: they
cutoff all idle TCP/IP connections after 5 minutes, and there is no way to change this behavior.  We threw them away.

Craig

Re: Default session timeout in PG?

Date:
Lou Picciano <loupicciano@comcast.net> writes:
> We have certain clients who seem to timeout pretty frequently, while others seem to never time out at all; before we
startdiagnosing networks, I want to be sure there's nothing we can do server-side to ameliorate/control the problem.

> If I recall correctly, PG does not, by default, timeout its connections, right?

PG does not have a session timeout of any sort, default or otherwise.
I think you're looking at a network infrastructure issue.  If there are
any NAT routers between those clients and the database, that would be
the place to look first.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Default session timeout in PG?

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Craig James <craig_james@emolecules.com> wrote:
> On 10/4/10 10:36 AM, Lou Picciano wrote:
>>
>> (Think I've seen the answer to this already, but:) is there any 'innate',
>> or
>>  'default' session timeout function built in to PG?
>>
>> We have certain clients who seem to timeout pretty frequently, while
>>  others seem to never time out at all; before we start diagnosing
>> networks, I want to be sure there's nothing we can do server-side to
>> ameliorate/control the problem.
>
> We discovered the other day that a whole class of Netgear routers (designed
> for small businesses) contain a bug: they cut off all idle TCP/IP
> connections after 5 minutes, and there is no way to change this behavior.
>  We threw them away.

If anyone ever needs a solid reliable simple router just put two NICs
in an old box and use arno-iptables-firewall package on linux.  Single
text file, and it handles dang near anything you'd need in a home or
small business.  Paint it green and it won't rust.