postgresql-6.3.2 question

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
Hello,

My question is this:

Do I have to be user progres to install? Can I not use an existing user? If
yes, is there any change to the installation process?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Dave

Re: [ADMIN] postgresql-6.3.2 question

From
Andy Lewis
Date:
I'm not totall sure but, I wouldn't think that user postgres has enough system
rights to install.

Andy

Date:
On Sun, 17 May 1998, Andy Lewis wrote:

> I'm not totall sure but, I wouldn't think that user postgres has enough system
> rights to install.

    Everything for PostgreSQL gets installed, generally, in postgres
users home directory...I've never had a requirement to install as anything
but postgres user *shrug*

> >Hello,
> >
> >My question is this:
> >
> >Do I have to be user progres to install? Can I not use an existing user? If
> >yes, is there any change to the installation process?
> >
> >Thank you in advance for your help.
> >
> >Dave

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [ADMIN] postgresql-6.3.2 question

From
"Brett W. McCoy"
Date:
On Sun, 17 May 1998, Andy Lewis wrote:

> I'm not totall sure but, I wouldn't think that user postgres has enough system
> rights to install.

You should be root when doing the actual software installation to
/usr/local, but everything else should be done as the postgres user.

Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
   -- The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972

Date:
On Sun, 17 May 1998, Brett W. McCoy wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 1998, Andy Lewis wrote:
>
> > I'm not totall sure but, I wouldn't think that user postgres has enough system
> > rights to install.
>
> You should be root when doing the actual software installation to
> /usr/local, but everything else should be done as the postgres user.

    Why?  Once you've added the postgres user, with his home
directory, the postgres users himself should be able to do the complete
install...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [ADMIN] postgresql-6.3.2 question

From
Peter Mount
Date:
On Sun, 17 May 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 1998, Brett W. McCoy wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 17 May 1998, Andy Lewis wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not totall sure but, I wouldn't think that user postgres has enough system
> > > rights to install.
> >
> > You should be root when doing the actual software installation to
> > /usr/local, but everything else should be done as the postgres user.
>
>     Why?  Once you've added the postgres user, with his home
> directory, the postgres users himself should be able to do the complete
> install...

I've installed it both ways:

 * As root, when installing under /usr/local
 * As postgres, when installing under /home/postgres

The only thing I have yet to find how to setup without root, is starting
the postmaster when the system boots.

--
Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk or petermount@earthling.net
Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk

Date:
On Sun, 17 May 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>     Why?  Once you've added the postgres user, with his home
> directory, the postgres users himself should be able to do the complete
> install...

Except for setting up the libraries and letting ldconfig know where they
are.  Actually, I had to become root also to create the install
directories under /usr/local, and then change their ownership to my
postgres user, since that user doesn't have the rights to create

Date:
On Sun, 17 May 1998, Peter Mount wrote:

> I've installed it both ways:
>
>  * As root, when installing under /usr/local
>  * As postgres, when installing under /home/postgres
>
> The only thing I have yet to find how to setup without root, is starting
> the postmaster when the system boots.

For that, you do need to be root, since the startup scripts only have
permissions for root access, unless you want to compromise the security of
your system.  However, you DO want the postmaster to be started by user
postgres within the startup scripts.

Date:
On Sun, 17 May 1998, Brett W. McCoy wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 1998, Peter Mount wrote:
>
> > I've installed it both ways:
> >
> >  * As root, when installing under /usr/local
> >  * As postgres, when installing under /home/postgres
> >
> > The only thing I have yet to find how to setup without root, is starting
> > the postmaster when the system boots.
>
> For that, you do need to be root, since the startup scripts only have
> permissions for root access, unless you want to compromise the security of
> your system.

Exactly

> However, you DO want the postmaster to be started by user postgres
> within the startup scripts.

Postgres will not run as root - it kills itself on purpose if you try.

--

Date:
On Sun, 17 May 1998, Peter Mount wrote:

> > However, you DO want the postmaster to be started by user postgres
> > within the startup scripts.
>
> Postgres will not run as root - it kills itself on purpose if you try.

I think that's very wise!

Date:
On Sun, 17 May 1998, Brett W. McCoy wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> >     Why?  Once you've added the postgres user, with his home
> > directory, the postgres users himself should be able to do the complete
> > install...
>
> Except for setting up the libraries and letting ldconfig know where they
> are.

    libraries install in ~postgres/lib, and letting the system know
where they are is a simple matter of:

    setenv LD_LIBRARY_DIR ~postgres/lib

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [ADMIN] postgresql-6.3.2 question

From
Maarten Boekhold
Date:
> I've installed it both ways:
>
>  * As root, when installing under /usr/local
>  * As postgres, when installing under /home/postgres
>
> The only thing I have yet to find how to setup without root, is starting
> the postmaster when the system boots.

You can use a cron-job for this. Let it test if postmaster is running,
and if not start it. Run this script every 5 minutes.

I use a perl-script in combination with a shell-script. The perl-script
also tests if there's any response from the postmaster. If not, it first
tries to kill all postgres/postmaster instances with -TERM, if that does
not work, try the same with -KILL, and then start them again by calling
the shell-script.

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |