Re: [ADMIN] postgresql-6.3.2 question - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [ADMIN] postgresql-6.3.2 question
Date
Re: [ADMIN] postgresql-6.3.2 question  ("Brett W. McCoy" <bmccoy@lan2wan.com>)
List pgsql-admin
On Sun, 17 May 1998, Brett W. McCoy wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 1998, Andy Lewis wrote:
>
> > I'm not totall sure but, I wouldn't think that user postgres has enough system
> > rights to install.
>
> You should be root when doing the actual software installation to
> /usr/local, but everything else should be done as the postgres user.

    Why?  Once you've added the postgres user, with his home
directory, the postgres users himself should be able to do the complete
install...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org