Re: [ADMIN] postgresql-6.3.2 question - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Brett W. McCoy
Subject Re: [ADMIN] postgresql-6.3.2 question
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Sun, 17 May 1998, Peter Mount wrote:

> I've installed it both ways:
>
>  * As root, when installing under /usr/local
>  * As postgres, when installing under /home/postgres
>
> The only thing I have yet to find how to setup without root, is starting
> the postmaster when the system boots.

For that, you do need to be root, since the startup scripts only have
permissions for root access, unless you want to compromise the security of
your system.  However, you DO want the postmaster to be started by user
postgres within the startup scripts.

Brett W. McCoy
                                        http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
   -- The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972