'use tab key for autocomplete' still documented even though it's been removed

From
Arthur Prokosch
Date:
Hi all,

Coming from a unix background, I'd really like to be able to use the <tab> key within the Query Tool's editor box to bring up autocompletions. It's documented even though the feature seems to be long-dead. Can this be fixed?

According to the documentation I find at
that should be possible: "You can optionally enable the Tab key to activate the autocomplete feature as well - the can be done on the options dialog." But there's nothing apropos in the options dialog, nor any relevant registry keys or values matching "tab."

So, I dig into git - pgadmin3.git via the web interface. ctlSQLBox.cpp:162 only sets up Ctrl-Space as an accelerator. But -- commit 525c9fc7825f3d3f1b0b02c4444b2f9bdbc34178 from 2009 nuked the feature as well as the configuration for it. Updated the docs for the configuration screen itself but not the general query box docs.

I'd love it if tab-completion could be restored, but the commit I referenced makes that sound hard. So failing that, can the documentation be well and truly expunged?

Thanks much!
-arthur prokosch.
On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM, Arthur Prokosch <prokosch@umich.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Coming from a unix background, I'd really like to be able to use the <tab>
> key within the Query Tool's editor box to bring up autocompletions. It's
> documented even though the feature seems to be long-dead. Can this be fixed?

Not easily, unfortunately.

> According to the documentation I find at
>  http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.8/query.html
> that should be possible: "You can optionally enable the Tab key to activate
> the autocomplete feature as well - the can be done on the options dialog."
> But there's nothing apropos in the options dialog, nor any relevant registry
> keys or values matching "tab."
>
> So, I dig into git - pgadmin3.git via the web interface. ctlSQLBox.cpp:162
> only sets up Ctrl-Space as an accelerator. But -- commit
> 525c9fc7825f3d3f1b0b02c4444b2f9bdbc34178 from 2009 nuked the feature as well
> as the configuration for it. Updated the docs for the configuration screen
> itself but not the general query box docs.
>
> I'd love it if tab-completion could be restored, but the commit I referenced
> makes that sound hard. So failing that, can the documentation be well and
> truly expunged?

I've pushed a fix for it. Thanks for the heads up!

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: 'use tab key for autocomplete' still documented even though it's been removed

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 17/06/2014 21:16, Arthur Prokosch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Coming from a unix background, I'd really like to be able to use the
> <tab> key within the Query Tool's editor box to bring up
> autocompletions. It's documented even though the feature seems to be
> long-dead. Can this be fixed?
>
> According to the documentation I find at
>  http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.8/query.html
> that should be possible: "You can optionally enable the Tab key to
> activate the autocomplete feature as well - the can be done on the
> options dialog." But there's nothing apropos in the options dialog, nor
> any relevant registry keys or values matching "tab."

Hi there,

That's a really old set of documentation - the current version is 1.18,
and here's the corresponding page in the up-to-date docs -
 http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.18/query.html

- where you'll see that ctrl-space is now used for autocompletion. :-)

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
> On 17/06/2014 21:16, Arthur Prokosch wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Coming from a unix background, I'd really like to be able to use the
>> <tab> key within the Query Tool's editor box to bring up
>> autocompletions. It's documented even though the feature seems to be
>> long-dead. Can this be fixed?
>>
>> According to the documentation I find at
>>  http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.8/query.html
>> that should be possible: "You can optionally enable the Tab key to
>> activate the autocomplete feature as well - the can be done on the
>> options dialog." But there's nothing apropos in the options dialog, nor
>> any relevant registry keys or values matching "tab."
>
> Hi there,
>
> That's a really old set of documentation - the current version is 1.18,
> and here's the corresponding page in the up-to-date docs -
>
>   http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.18/query.html
>
> - where you'll see that ctrl-space is now used for autocompletion. :-)

Yeah, but it also says "You can optionally enable the Tab key to
activate the autocomplete feature as well - the can be done on the
options dialog.". I've removed that now for 1.20.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Thanks Dave and Ray. I'll try to retrain my fingers to type Ctrl+Spc, and to treat Google search results with more skepticism.

-arthur.

--
Arthur Prokosch :: prokosch@umich.edu
Master of Urban Planning and M.S. Natural Resources and Environment, '15