Second message: "Problem generating database using pgAdmin III - PostgreSQL version is 9.1"

From
"Hager, Paul CIV NAVSEA Crane, NAVSEA"
Date:
I sent message with this title once and got nothing indicating it was received.  I have, however, gotten exchanges
dealingwith other rather arcane problems.  At a minimum, could I get some acknowledgment that my message has been
received?

I'll provide a brief recap:
I'm trying to port two PostgreSQL databases to Windows XP.  Once I do that, I will run those through a tool in the
Windowsmachine that will convert them to Access.  Someone else managed this but is on extended medical leave, leaving
sketchydirections behind that no one here has been able to decipher.  Note: none of this is part of my job description
-I'm filling in because no one else seems to know anything about how to do this.  I'll focus on only ONE database,
sincethe process is the same for both.

In brief.  Do
pg_dump -s dfile-pgs -f dsYYYYMMDD
pg_dump -s dfile-pgs -f dALLYYYYMMDD

The above worked (for me)  Take these files and move to Windows XP.  That's now done.
Now edit the files as follows:  comment out "\connect" and all of the "GRANT INSERT" commands.  Save the result as
*.sql
Edit all the files containing tables and data.  Remove the "CREATE TABLE" commands so just the "INSERT" commands are
left. Save again.  (NOTE: this applied to both files - both had "create table" commands.)

I did all of the above, apparently successfully.

This is just a recipe - none of it makes sense to me.  However, these steps were followed by the person now on extended
medicalleave to provide input to the pgAdmin program.  The next set of instructions involve pgAdmin:

Select SQL from the toolbar and open file, selecting the "s" file (supposedly the schema file).  This is supposed to
makethe tables.  I don't know how this can happen if all of the "CREATE TABLES" have been edited out, but that's what
thedirections say.  Supposedly one is to run "pgsql" file option.  It doesn't exist anywhere.  There is an option to
runa macro, which I selected and it seemed to run.  However, nothing was created.  There was nothing I could see
anywhereand nothing to save.  The next step is to load the files that have the "insert" commands in them.  I assume
thiswould be the ALL files.

I never saw any "insert table" commands.  There were other insert commands but it wasn't clear what they did, and the
filesseemed awfully small to produce the databases.  Needless to say, none of this worked for me.

Here's all I want.  I want to move some hypothetical PostgreSQL database on Linux to Windows.  Surely someone on this
listhas had to do that.  I don't work with databases - I just need a simple cookbook/recipe.  Once I have a procedure,
I'llbe turning it over to other people.

Help please.

Thanks,

Paul Hager

Computer Scientist
Code WXMP, Bldg 3330W
300 Highway 361
Crane, IN 47522-5001
Ph:    812-854-1985
DSN:   482-1985
Fax:   812-854-1109
Email: paul.hager@navy.mil
SIPR:  paul.hager@navy.smil.mil
http://www.navsea.navy.mil/nswc/crane/Lists/customerfeedback/NewForm.aspx

Hi Paul.

Your question is undoubtedly beyond the scope of this forum, which would explain the mute response.

I can't say for certain I know what you are trying to accomplish but I think I have a pretty good idea.

I would be happy to try and assist you but I recommend that we take our conversation off-line.  Please respond to me
only(Don't reply to all)

Thanks,

Chris

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Hager, Paul CIV NAVSEA Crane, NAVSEA
<paul.hager@navy.mil> wrote:
> I sent message with this title once and got nothing indicating it was received.  I have, however, gotten exchanges
dealingwith other rather arcane problems.  At a minimum, could I get some acknowledgment that my message has been
received?

> I'll provide a brief recap:
> I'm trying to port two PostgreSQL databases to Windows XP.  Once I do that, I will run those through a tool in the
Windowsmachine that will convert them to Access.  Someone else managed this but is on extended medical leave, leaving
sketchydirections behind that no one here has been able to decipher.  Note: none of this is part of my job description
-I'm filling in because no one else seems to know anything about how to do this.  I'll focus on only ONE database,
sincethe process is the same for both.

Probably noone answered because your question is mostly off-topic for this list.

> In brief.  Do
> pg_dump -s dfile-pgs -f dsYYYYMMDD
> pg_dump -s dfile-pgs -f dALLYYYYMMDD
>
> The above worked (for me)  Take these files and move to Windows XP.  That's now done.
> Now edit the files as follows:  comment out "\connect" and all of the "GRANT INSERT" commands.  Save the result as
*.sql
> Edit all the files containing tables and data.  Remove the "CREATE TABLE" commands so just the "INSERT" commands are
left. Save again.  (NOTE: this applied to both files - both had "create table" commands.)

> I did all of the above, apparently successfully.
>
> This is just a recipe - none of it makes sense to me.  However, these steps were followed by the person now on
extendedmedical leave to provide input to the pgAdmin program.  The next set of instructions involve pgAdmin:

> Select SQL from the toolbar and open file, selecting the "s" file (supposedly the schema file).  This is supposed to
makethe tables.  I don't know how this can happen if all of the "CREATE TABLES" have been edited out, but that's what
thedirections say.

Both of those files should be identical - you've run pg_dump with the
same options (-s dfile-pgs) each time, but just output it to a
different file. You are correct though - no tables will be created if
you're removed the CREATE TABLE statements.
Supposedly one is to run "pgsql" file option.  It doesn't exist
anywhere.  There is an option to run a macro, which I selected and it
seemed to run.  However, nothing was created.  There was nothing I
could see anywhere and nothing to save.  The next step is to load the
files that have the "insert" commands in them.  I assume this would be
the ALL files.

I assume you mean "psql" not "pgsql". This is the command line
interface to PostgreSQL. pgAdmin does have a plugin option to run it
(if it's on your machine in a location that pgAdmin can find), but
that will run it in interactive mode. Your instructions should almost
certainly tell you to run it from the command line and feed it the
files you're creating, e.g.

c:\>Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\bin> psql -U <username> -h localhost
<databasename> < file.sql

> I never saw any "insert table" commands.  There were other insert commands but it wasn't clear what they did, and the
filesseemed awfully small to produce the databases.  Needless to say, none of this worked for me.

If you ran the commands above, there wouldn't be any INSERT statements
as you did schema-only dumps in both cases. Even if you left off the
-s, you still wouldn't see them, as pg_dump will default to using COPY
for data as it's a lot faster. To get INSERT statements, you'd need to
omit the -s flag and add "--inserts" or "--column-inserts".

> Here's all I want.  I want to move some hypothetical PostgreSQL database on Linux to Windows.  Surely someone on this
listhas had to do that.  I don't work with databases - I just need a simple cookbook/recipe.  Once I have a procedure,
I'llbe turning it over to other people.

Shouldn't be anything like as complex as your procedure above. If you
just want to dump an entire database, and you have matching
tablespaces and roles on the target server, on the Linux box do:

$ pg_dump -U <username> -h host > file.sql

(add appropriate options for port number etc. if you need to, and
optionally add the -s option back if you just want the one schema)

Move the file to the Windows box, and then do:

C:\> psql -U <username> -h localhost <databasename> < file.sql

Again, add any other non-standard options you may need like "-p
<port>", and of course, ensure you've created the target database
first.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

[Please keep the mailing list CCd on any replies]

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Hager, Paul CIV NAVSEA Crane, NAVSEA
<paul.hager@navy.mil> wrote:
> I don't have matching table spaces and roles (whatever they are) on the XP machine.  I've attached my translation of
theprocedures I was given.  If the "-s" option is wrong for the second file (and I must admit, using the same option
twiceseemed very strange to me), what is the correct one?

Well I guess the second file for each database should use "--inserts"
(use INSERT statements) or something like that instead of -s (schema
only) - so you end up with one file for the schema and one for the
data.

> I'm assuming your suggestion won't work because I have nothing on the target machine.  Given pgAdmin III on XP, Linux
onthe legacy system, and the need to move a Postgres database to Windows, how do I do it.

If there aren't any non-standard roles or tablespaces, it'll probably
just work. Try it.

> Option one would be to correct the directions.  If there is an easy way to do it, that would be great.  Remember, I
don'tknow anything about databases and less about Postgres.  The people who will be doing the necessary database
updatesknow even less than I do.  Eventually - probably sooner rather than later - the legacy Linux system will be
goingaway and the XP system will replace it.

I don't know enough about your environment or application to be able
to correct the instructions for you. It *looks* like a long winded and
partially incorrect way of doing:

pg_dump –s development-pgs –f dsYYYYMMDD
pg_dump --inserts development-pgs –f dALLYYYYMMDD
pg_dump –s production-pgs –f dsYYYYMMDD
pg_dump --inserts production-pgs –f dALLYYYYMMDD

On the original server, followed by:

psql -h localhost development-pgs < dALLYYYYMMDD
psql -h localhost production-pgs <  dALLYYYYMMDD

On the new machine. The -s dumps and much of the other mucking around
that not related to becoming the right user or transferring the files
seems redundant to me.

HOWEVER: bear in mind I know nothing at all about your application -
there may be details that I don't know about, that I'm not able to
infer from the instructions you have.

> Appreciate your help.  Please keep it as simple as possible.  For example, when you say, "add any non-standard
optionsyou may need", I haven't a clue what the options are or what they do.  I'm afraid when it comes to databases,
I'moperating at the trained orangutan level.

I can't tell you what non-standard options you may need, because I
don't know anything about your environment or application. I don't
know for example, if you need to use the -p <port> option to psql
because PostgreSQL is listening on a non-standard port number on one
or both of your machines. That's something you'd have to figure out.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Second message: "Problem generating database using pgAdmin III - PostgreSQL version is 9.1"

From
"Hager, Paul CIV NAVSEA Crane, NAVSEA"
Date:
I was only able to get to this today.

I created the two files - schema and data per your suggestion below.  Ended up with a relatively small schema file and
alarge data file, which is what I expected.  They are located c:documents and settings\phager\my documents or something
similar.

Then I hit a snag.  I assume on Windows XP I'm supposed to go to the command line.  "psql" is not recognized.  I went
toc:\program files\9.1\bin\ and found psql.exe.  I set my directory in "My Documents" and then did the following:

"c:\program files\9.1\bin\psql" -h localhost development-pgs < dsYYYYMMDD

That generated the following error: FATAL: role "phager" does not exist

I haven't a clue what the problem is.  What's a "role" and why is it treating part of the pathname as a "role"?

> [...]

transferringthe files seems redundant to me.

HOWEVER: bear in mind I know nothing at all about your application - there may be details that I don't know about, that
I'mnot able to infer from the instructions you have.

> Appreciate your help.  Please keep it as simple as possible.  For example, when you say, "add any non-standard
optionsyou may need", I haven't a clue what the options are or what they do.  I'm afraid when it comes to databases,
I'moperating at the trained orangutan level.

I can't tell you what non-standard options you may need, because I don't know anything about your environment or
application.I don't know for example, if you need to use the -p <port> option to psql because PostgreSQL is listening
ona non-standard port number on one or both of your machines. That's something you'd have to figure out.

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Hager, Paul CIV NAVSEA Crane, NAVSEA
<paul.hager@navy.mil> wrote:
> I was only able to get to this today.
>
> I created the two files - schema and data per your suggestion below.  Ended up with a relatively small schema file
anda large data file, which is what I expected.  They are located c:documents and settings\phager\my documents or
somethingsimilar.

> Then I hit a snag.  I assume on Windows XP I'm supposed to go to the command line.  "psql" is not recognized.  I went
toc:\program files\9.1\bin\ and found psql.exe.  I set my directory in "My Documents" and then did the following:

> "c:\program files\9.1\bin\psql" -h localhost development-pgs < dsYYYYMMDD
>
> That generated the following error: FATAL: role "phager" does not exist
>
> I haven't a clue what the problem is.  What's a "role" and why is it treating part of the pathname as a "role"?

A role is both a user account and a user group in the database server.
It'll be defaulting to your operating system username. Try using:

"c:\program files\9.1\bin\psql" -h localhost -U postgres
development-pgs < dsYYYYMMDD

To tell it to use the postgres role (the default superuser). If that's
not the correct role, then you'll have to find out what is from your
end as that's specific to your installation and the way it's been
setup.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Second message: "Problem generating database using pgAdmin III - PostgreSQL version is 9.1"

From
"Hager, Paul CIV NAVSEA Crane, NAVSEA"
Date:
OK, I tried again.  Did:
"c:\program files\postgresql\9.1\bin\psql" -h localhost -U postgres development-pgs < dsYYYYMMDD

That actually worked - thanks.  However, it produced a large number of errors - things like "relation X already
exists". Also, no DB file called "development-pgs" was created, which I expected.

I decided to go back to the original recipe and logged in to pgAdmin.  Got a huge number of errors.  Decided to edit
filesas in original recipe.  This time just edited out the "\connect" and the "GRANT INSERT" commands in the schema
file. I actually think that was intended in the recipe though it was by no means clear.  Opened file in pgAdmin.  Then
Iexecuted as script.  Lots of errors this time.  Here's a representative one:

[WARNING] CREATE TABLE "whatever" (    "whatever1" integer    "whatever2" character varying(50) NOT NULL)
[ERROR] relation "whatever" already exists
There are also manifold duplicate key errors.

Now it may be that something has been loaded from a previous effort.  I went on ahead and loaded the large data file.
Vastnumbers of errors including duplicate keys.

I made an attempt to look at the database.  There seemed to be some tables but there were no connections.  Given all
theerrors I don't trust any of this.  I'm thinking I might blow everything away, recreate the database, and try again.

That brings up a second problem.  Where is this database located?  Assuming I have created something how do I save it.
Thelast time I did a "save" operation, it just saved a schema file.

I need to have a discrete database somewhere outside of pgAdmin.  I assume this is a trivial matter but I couldn't find
howto do it.  My attempts to invoke help tried to active IE.  I'm on a Secret machine and there is no internet
connectionso that just generated an error.

Regards,

Paul Hager

Computer Scientist
Code WXMP, Bldg 3330W
300 Highway 361
Crane, IN 47522-5001
Ph:    812-854-1985
DSN:   482-1985
Fax:   812-854-1109
Email: paul.hager@navy.mil
SIPR:  paul.hager@navy.smil.mil
http://www.navsea.navy.mil/nswc/crane/Lists/customerfeedback/NewForm.aspx

> I created the two files - schema and data per your suggestion below.  Ended up with a relatively small schema file
anda large data file, which is what I expected.  They are located c:documents and settings\phager\my documents or
somethingsimilar.

> Then I hit a snag.  I assume on Windows XP I'm supposed to go to the command line.  "psql" is not recognized.  I went
toc:\program files\9.1\bin\ and found psql.exe.  I set my directory in "My Documents" and then did the following:

> "c:\program files\9.1\bin\psql" -h localhost development-pgs <
> dsYYYYMMDD
>
> That generated the following error: FATAL: role "phager" does not
> exist
>
> I haven't a clue what the problem is.  What's a "role" and why is it treating part of the pathname as a "role"?

A role is both a user account and a user group in the database server.
It'll be defaulting to your operating system username. Try using:

"c:\program files\9.1\bin\psql" -h localhost -U postgres development-pgs < dsYYYYMMDD

To tell it to use the postgres role (the default superuser). If that's not the correct role, then you'll have to find
outwhat is from your end as that's specific to your installation and the way it's been setup.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Hager, Paul CIV NAVSEA Crane, NAVSEA
<paul.hager@navy.mil> wrote:
> OK, I tried again.  Did:
> "c:\program files\postgresql\9.1\bin\psql" -h localhost -U postgres development-pgs < dsYYYYMMDD
>
> That actually worked - thanks.  However, it produced a large number of errors - things like "relation X already
exists". Also, no DB file called "development-pgs" was created, which I expected.

> I decided to go back to the original recipe and logged in to pgAdmin.  Got a huge number of errors.  Decided to edit
filesas in original recipe.  This time just edited out the "\connect" and the "GRANT INSERT" commands in the schema
file. I actually think that was intended in the recipe though it was by no means clear.  Opened file in pgAdmin.  Then
Iexecuted as script.  Lots of errors this time.  Here's a representative one:
> [WARNING] CREATE TABLE "whatever" (
>                 "whatever1" integer
>                 "whatever2" character varying(50) NOT NULL
>         )
> [ERROR] relation "whatever" already exists
> There are also manifold duplicate key errors.
>
> Now it may be that something has been loaded from a previous effort.  I went on ahead and loaded the large data file.
Vast numbers of errors including duplicate keys.

Yes, it sounds like the database is already there. Drop it first
(assuming you don't need it), then recreate it so it's empty.

> I made an attempt to look at the database.  There seemed to be some tables but there were no connections.  Given all
theerrors I don't trust any of this.  I'm thinking I might blow everything away, recreate the database, and try again.

> That brings up a second problem.  Where is this database located?  Assuming I have created something how do I save
it. The last time I did a "save" operation, it just saved a schema file.

I have no idea where the database is located on your system - and a
database isn't just a file you can save anyway. You can use pg_dump to
export it to a data file, the same way as you did with your original
database.

> I need to have a discrete database somewhere outside of pgAdmin.  I assume this is a trivial matter but I couldn't
findhow to do it.

None of the databases are "in" pgAdmin. pgAdmin is just a client tool
that connects to the database server, in the same way as pg_dump, psql
or your application will. Somewhere on your machine is a "data
directory", on Windows this is C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.X\data by
default; this contains the actual databases, but they're just a bunch
of data files that you can't do anything with directly (and don't be
tempted to delete anything from the pg_xlog or pg_clog directories -
that will break the system).

> My attempts to invoke help tried to active IE.  I'm on a Secret machine and there is no internet connection so that
justgenerated an error.

The Help Contents in pgAdmin should open a local file. There also
should be some Help options on the Start Menu under PostgreSQL for the
database server, which will be the same as the online docs.

Please note that I'm going to be largely unavailable for the next
couple of weeks or more due to travel. You're far more likely to get
help on the pgsql-general@postgresql.org mailing list than here, as
this really is off-topic for this list.