Re: Second message: "Problem generating database using pgAdmin III - PostgreSQL version is 9.1" - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Hager, Paul CIV NAVSEA Crane, NAVSEA
Subject Re: Second message: "Problem generating database using pgAdmin III - PostgreSQL version is 9.1"
Date
List pgadmin-support
OK, I tried again.  Did:
"c:\program files\postgresql\9.1\bin\psql" -h localhost -U postgres development-pgs < dsYYYYMMDD

That actually worked - thanks.  However, it produced a large number of errors - things like "relation X already
exists". Also, no DB file called "development-pgs" was created, which I expected.

I decided to go back to the original recipe and logged in to pgAdmin.  Got a huge number of errors.  Decided to edit
filesas in original recipe.  This time just edited out the "\connect" and the "GRANT INSERT" commands in the schema
file. I actually think that was intended in the recipe though it was by no means clear.  Opened file in pgAdmin.  Then
Iexecuted as script.  Lots of errors this time.  Here's a representative one:

[WARNING] CREATE TABLE "whatever" (    "whatever1" integer    "whatever2" character varying(50) NOT NULL)
[ERROR] relation "whatever" already exists
There are also manifold duplicate key errors.

Now it may be that something has been loaded from a previous effort.  I went on ahead and loaded the large data file.
Vastnumbers of errors including duplicate keys.

I made an attempt to look at the database.  There seemed to be some tables but there were no connections.  Given all
theerrors I don't trust any of this.  I'm thinking I might blow everything away, recreate the database, and try again.

That brings up a second problem.  Where is this database located?  Assuming I have created something how do I save it.
Thelast time I did a "save" operation, it just saved a schema file.

I need to have a discrete database somewhere outside of pgAdmin.  I assume this is a trivial matter but I couldn't find
howto do it.  My attempts to invoke help tried to active IE.  I'm on a Secret machine and there is no internet
connectionso that just generated an error.

Regards,

Paul Hager

Computer Scientist
Code WXMP, Bldg 3330W