Creating a new database in pgadmin

From
javib
Date:
Hello,
I would like to create a database in a different hard drive than the one in
which pgadmin is installed. I've been looking through the options of pgadmin
and I haven't seen anything. The reason I'm doing this is because this new
database I'm going to create will be huge and I need lots of space.
Can anyone help me with this issue??

Thanks in advance.
Best regards

Re: Creating a new database in pgadmin

From
Thom Brown
Date:

--

You will need to create a new tablespace onto the other hard drive then create the database using that tablespace:

For example:

CREATE TABLESPACE new_space LOCATION '/media/otherdrive';

CREATE DATABASE new_db TABLESPACE new_space;

Regards

Thom

Re: Creating a new database in pgadmin

From
javib
Date:
Thanks for replying so fast Thom. I tried the following line and it didn't
work:

CREATE TABLESPACE otraParti LOCATION '/media/Iomega HDD(F:)'

and I'm getting the following error:
ERROR: couldn't define permissions for directory «/media/Iomega HDD(F:)»: No
such file or directory

Any ideas?

Thom Brown wrote:

> On 17 March 2010 11:10, javib <javier.burgos@ricoh.es> wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>> I would like to create a database in a different hard drive than the one
>> in
>> which pgadmin is installed. I've been looking through the options of
>> pgadmin
>> and I haven't seen anything. The reason I'm doing this is because this
>> new
>> database I'm going to create will be huge and I need lots of space.
>> Can anyone help me with this issue??
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Best regards
>> --
>>

> You will need to create a new tablespace onto the other hard drive then
> create the database using that tablespace:
>
> For example:
>
> CREATE TABLESPACE new_space LOCATION '/media/otherdrive';
>
> CREATE DATABASE new_db TABLESPACE new_space;
>
> Regards
>
> Thom

Re: Creating a new database in pgadmin

From
Thom Brown
Date:
style="margin:0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;"><br /> Thanks for
usingWindows, I'm not sure you can even use tablespaces.  The "/media/otherdrive" example was a full path to a

Re: Creating a new database in pgadmin

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 17/03/2010 12:29, javib a écrit :

> Thanks for replying so fast Thom. I tried the following line and it didn't
> work:
>
> CREATE TABLESPACE otraParti LOCATION '/media/Iomega HDD(F:)'
>
> and I'm getting the following error:
> ERROR: couldn't define permissions for directory «/media/Iomega HDD(F:)»: No
> such file or directory
>
> Any ideas?

You should probably look at the manual page for CREATE TABLESPACE:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/sql-createtablespace.html

You need to put in the location field the name of the directory in which
you want to store your database/table. And be sure postgres has
permissions to read/write in this directory.

BTW, you can use pgAdmin to create this tablespace. Could be simpler.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Date:
Le 17/03/2010 12:37, Thom Brown a écrit :
> On 17 March 2010 11:29, javib <javier.burgos@ricoh.es> wrote:
>

>> Thanks for replying so fast Thom. I tried the following line and it didn't
>> work:
>>
>> CREATE TABLESPACE otraParti LOCATION '/media/Iomega HDD(F:)'
>>
>> and I'm getting the following error:
>> ERROR: couldn't define permissions for directory «/media/Iomega HDD(F:)»:
>> No
>> such file or directory
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> Is that directory owned by the postgres user?  And does it exist at all?  If
> you're using Windows, I'm not sure you can even use tablespaces.  The
> "/media/otherdrive" example was a full path to a destination, so it could be
> "/mnt/drive/" or "/external" or something like that.

You can use tablespaces on Windows. It won't be a /media/something path
though. It will probably be something like F:/path/to/my/directory .

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: Creating a new database in pgadmin

From
javib
Date:
How can I assign permissions to postgress to access the drive?
Thanks!

Date:
Le 17/03/2010 12:51, javib a écrit :

> How can I assign permissions to postgress to access the drive?

Depends on you operating system, which you still haven't told us. I
suppose this is on Windows. Right click on your directory, choose
Properties, click on the Security tab, check if the postgres user has
all permissions on the directory. If it doesn't or if he is not listed
in the users' list, add him and give him all the permissions.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: Creating a new database in pgadmin

From
javib
Date:
Thanks!! It works now. My OS is windows. I've created the new tablespace with
the pgadmin following the instructions and works fine!!

Thanks againn

Date:
On 17 March 2010 11:40, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
Le 17/03/2010 12:37, Thom Brown a écrit :
> On 17 March 2010 11:29, javib <javier.burgos@ricoh.es> wrote:
>

>> Thanks for replying so fast Thom. I tried the following line and it didn't
>> work:
>>
>> CREATE TABLESPACE otraParti LOCATION '/media/Iomega HDD(F:)'
>>
>> and I'm getting the following error:
>> ERROR: couldn't define permissions for directory «/media/Iomega HDD(F:)»:
>> No
>> such file or directory
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> Is that directory owned by the postgres user?  And does it exist at all?  If
> you're using Windows, I'm not sure you can even use tablespaces.  The
> "/media/otherdrive" example was a full path to a destination, so it could be
> "/mnt/drive/" or "/external" or something like that.

You can use tablespaces on Windows. It won't be a /media/something path
though. It will probably be something like F:/path/to/my/directory .

Ah, okay.  I was just thrown by the note in the documentation which says, "Tablespaces are only supported on systems that support symbolic links.".  I'm not sure that's true.

Thom

Date:
Le 17/03/2010 13:49, Thom Brown a écrit :
> On 17 March 2010 11:40, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>> didn't

>> HDD(F:)»:

>>> Is that directory owned by the postgres user?  And does it exist at all?
>>  If
>>> you're using Windows, I'm not sure you can even use tablespaces.  The
>>> "/media/otherdrive" example was a full path to a destination, so it could
>> be
>>> "/mnt/drive/" or "/external" or something like that.
>>>

>> You can use tablespaces on Windows. It won't be a /media/something path
>> though. It will probably be something like F:/path/to/my/directory .
>>

> Ah, okay.  I was just thrown by the note in the documentation which says,
> "Tablespaces are only supported on systems that support symbolic links.".
> I'm not sure that's true.

It's true. It basically means you cannot use tablespace on Windows NT4.
Other Windows NT (2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, 7) don't have this issue.

(Dave / Magnus, correct me if I say stupid things :) )

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com