Output to file

From
John Gage
Date:
Is there a way to have sequential SELECT queries output to the same
file without having the second SELECT overwrite the first.

Here is a sample:

SELECT * FROM prof_texts_lines WHERE source_lines ~*
'(enregistrement)' ORDER BY line_no ;

SELECT * FROM prof_texts_lines WHERE source_lines ~* '(dossier)' ORDER
BY line_no ;

If I run those queries in succession, using the "Execute query, write
result to file" button on the menu bar, the second query overwrites
the results of the first query in the output file.

What I want is to have the results of the second query appended to the
results of the first in the same file.  And I don't want the two
query's results intermingled as would occur presumptively with one
query statement using an or for the match text.

John

Re: Output to file

From
John Gage
Date:
It appears that using psql directly with the \o and \qecho meta-
commands I can achieve exactly what I want to achieve.  I will tinker
with the syntax of these commands, having never used them before.

But I believe that my trip to the documentation has answered my
question.

On Feb 27, 2010, at 11:04 PM, John Gage wrote:

> Is there a way to have sequential SELECT queries output to the same
> file without having the second SELECT overwrite the first.
>
> Here is a sample:
>
> SELECT * FROM prof_texts_lines WHERE source_lines ~*
> '(enregistrement)' ORDER BY line_no ;
>
> SELECT * FROM prof_texts_lines WHERE source_lines ~* '(dossier)'
> ORDER BY line_no ;
>
> If I run those queries in succession, using the "Execute query,
> write result to file" button on the menu bar, the second query
> overwrites the results of the first query in the output file.
>
> What I want is to have the results of the second query appended to
> the results of the first in the same file.  And I don't want the two
> query's results intermingled as would occur presumptively with one
> query statement using an or for the match text.
>
> John

Re: Output to file

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 27/02/2010 23:04, John Gage a écrit :
> Is there a way to have sequential SELECT queries output to the same file
> without having the second SELECT overwrite the first.
>
> Here is a sample:
>
> SELECT * FROM prof_texts_lines WHERE source_lines ~* '(enregistrement)'
> ORDER BY line_no ;
>
> SELECT * FROM prof_texts_lines WHERE source_lines ~* '(dossier)' ORDER
> BY line_no ;
>
> If I run those queries in succession, using the "Execute query, write
> result to file" button on the menu bar, the second query overwrites the
> results of the first query in the output file.
>
> What I want is to have the results of the second query appended to the
> results of the first in the same file.  And I don't want the two query's
> results intermingled as would occur presumptively with one query
> statement using an or for the match text.

Not possible with current release, but interesting enough to think about
implementing it. Check http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/145 for our
work on it.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com