Show line numbers in SQL Editor?

From
"Ken Winter"
Date:
font-family:Verdana">Is there a way to get the pgAdmin SQL Editor to show line numbers?  </span></font><p
class="MsoNormal"><fontface="Verdana" size="2"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Verdana">Or, failing that, to get the cursor to go to a specified line number? </span></font><p
class="MsoNormal"><fontface="Verdana" size="2"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Verdana">Since error messages sometimes reference line numbers, this would be a big help.</span></font><p
class="MsoNormal"><fontface="Verdana" size="2"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;
style="font-size:10.0pt;

Re: Show line numbers in SQL Editor?

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 13/02/2010 22:43, Ken Winter a écrit :
> Is there a way to get the pgAdmin SQL Editor to show line numbers?

This has been asked yesterday. See
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4b74a338.0e0bca0a.7758.ffffac84@mx.google.com
for details.

Strangely, my answer still isn't there. Anyways, I worked on it today. I
have a patch that I'll apply in a few days if no one objects before.

> Or, failing that, to get the cursor to go to a specified line number?

Nope.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: Show line numbers in SQL Editor?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 13/02/2010 22:43, Ken Winter a écrit :
>> Is there a way to get the pgAdmin SQL Editor to show line numbers?
>>

> This has been asked yesterday. See
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4b74a338.0e0bca0a.7758.ffffac84@mx.google.com
> for details.
>
> Strangely, my answer still isn't there. Anyways, I worked on it today. I
> have a patch that I'll apply in a few days if no one objects before.

Depends how you propose to do it. We used to have line numbers down
the left, and some people found them annoying and distracting, so we
got rid of them in favour of the indicator in the status bar.

--
Dave Page

Re: Show line numbers in SQL Editor?

From
"Ken Winter"
Date:
Guillaume ~

Thanks for your quick response.  Sorry I missed the earlier message - I just
joined the list today, and I forgot to search the archive!

I'll look forward to your improvement.  I *did* just discover that there is
at least a line number indicator in the status bar at the bottom of the
screen.  This is better than nothing.  But numbered lines (with a user
option to show/hide them) would be much better, at least for this user.

~ Ken

Date:
Le 13/02/2010 23:00, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Le 13/02/2010 22:43, Ken Winter a écrit :
>>> Is there a way to get the pgAdmin SQL Editor to show line numbers?
>>>

>> This has been asked yesterday. See
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4b74a338.0e0bca0a.7758.ffffac84@mx.google.com
>> for details.
>>
>> Strangely, my answer still isn't there. Anyways, I worked on it today. I
>> have a patch that I'll apply in a few days if no one objects before.
>
> Depends how you propose to do it. We used to have line numbers down
> the left, and some people found them annoying and distracting, so we
> got rid of them in favour of the indicator in the status bar.

I use a margin on the left to show them. People can show/hide them,
there's an option in the view menu (which is disabled by default, so we
keep the same behaviour as now).

I don't understand why my mail doesn't appear yet. I didn't get any
message for the moderation queue.

--

Date:
Le 13/02/2010 23:17, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le 13/02/2010 23:00, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>>>

>>> This has been asked yesterday. See
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4b74a338.0e0bca0a.7758.ffffac84@mx.google.com
>>> for details.
>>>
>>> Strangely, my answer still isn't there. Anyways, I worked on it today. I
>>> have a patch that I'll apply in a few days if no one objects before.
>>
>> Depends how you propose to do it. We used to have line numbers down
>> the left, and some people found them annoying and distracting, so we
>> got rid of them in favour of the indicator in the status bar.
>>

> I use a margin on the left to show them. People can show/hide them,
> there's an option in the view menu (which is disabled by default, so we
> keep the same behaviour as now).
>
> I don't understand why my mail doesn't appear yet. I didn't get any
> message for the moderation queue.

By the way, if you wanna take a look at it, you can see what I did in
the ticket: http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/138

Screenshots: http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/attachment/ticket/138/linenumber.png
http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/attachment/ticket/138/linenumber2.png

Patch: http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/attachment/ticket/138/ticket138_v1.patch

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: Show line numbers in SQL Editor?

From
"Ken Winter"
Date:
As a newbie, let me just say that I looked at Guillaume's screen prints on
TRAC, and they're exactly what I hoped for.

~ Ken

Date:
On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 10:25 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

> By the way, if you wanna take a look at it, you can see what I did in
> the ticket:
>  http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/138
>
> Screenshots:
>  http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/attachment/ticket/138/linenumber.png
>  http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/attachment/ticket/138/linenumber2.png
>
> Patch:
>  http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/attachment/ticket/138/ticket138_v1.patch

What happens with more than 10K lines in a file (yes, we have seen
complaints about that!). What about the line markers?

--
Dave Page

Re: Show line numbers in SQL Editor?

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 13/02/2010 22:17, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> I don't understand why my mail doesn't appear yet. I didn't get any
> message for the moderation queue.

I got your email with the screenshots and patch - mind you, it might
have been the direct email rather than via the list, if you did a "reply
all". I've zapped the mail now so can't check I'm afraid.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Date:
Le 14/02/2010 11:05, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 10:25 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>
>> By the way, if you wanna take a look at it, you can see what I did in
>> the ticket:
>>  http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/138
>>
>> Screenshots:
>>  http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/attachment/ticket/138/linenumber.png
>>  http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/attachment/ticket/138/linenumber2.png
>>
>> Patch:
>>  http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/attachment/ticket/138/ticket138_v1.patch
>
> What happens with more than 10K lines in a file (yes, we have seen
> complaints about that!).

I tried with a 605k lines file, and it worked great on my laptop.

What was the complaint about? size of the margin? slow rendering?

> What about the line markers?

What do you mean?

--

Date:
Le 14/02/2010 12:46, Raymond O'Donnell a écrit :
> On 13/02/2010 22:17, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>
>> I don't understand why my mail doesn't appear yet. I didn't get any
>> message for the moderation queue.
>
> I got your email with the screenshots and patch - mind you, it might
> have been the direct email rather than via the list, if you did a "reply
> all". I've zapped the mail now so can't check I'm afraid.

No, I sent it to you, Danny and the list. Not really a big issue as it
is also available on trac.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: Show line numbers in SQL Editor?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 14/02/2010 11:05, Dave Page a écrit :
>> What happens with more than 10K lines in a file (yes, we have seen
>> complaints about that!).
>
> I tried with a 605k lines file, and it worked great on my laptop.
>
> What was the complaint about? size of the margin? slow rendering?

The line numbers overflow the margin, because it doesn't auto-size to
accomodate the width.

>> What about the line markers?
>
> What do you mean?

We sometimes display error marker in the margin. A similar issue to
the above is that they may be rendered on top of the numbers which
looks really messy.

--
Dave Page

Date:
Le 14/02/2010 15:29, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Le 14/02/2010 11:05, Dave Page a écrit :
>>> What happens with more than 10K lines in a file (yes, we have seen
>>> complaints about that!).
>>
>> I tried with a 605k lines file, and it worked great on my laptop.
>>
>> What was the complaint about? size of the margin? slow rendering?
>
> The line numbers overflow the margin, because it doesn't auto-size to
> accomodate the width.

The size of the margin is calculated at each new line. So it auto-sizes.

>>> What about the line markers?
>>
>> What do you mean?
>
> We sometimes display error marker in the margin. A similar issue to
> the above is that they may be rendered on top of the numbers which
> looks really messy.

Oh OK, I didn't remember this marker. I just tried and it worked. They
don't render on each other. The error marker appears after the line number.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: Show line numbers in SQL Editor?

From
Dave Page
Date:
Cool. I guess stc has improved since we last tried this.

--
Dave Page

Date:
Le 14/02/2010 16:43, Dave Page a écrit :
> Cool. I guess stc has improved since we last tried this.

I commited my patch. Thanks.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com