dropping connection

From
John
Date:
Hi,
I have a fellow assocate that uses pgAdmin3 remotely (he is in GA the DB is in
CA).  He insists that a "time out" is somewhere in pgAdmin.  He loses
connection often.  It has happen while are talking on Skype, or not talking
on Skype.  It's also has happened while I was remotely connected.  The point
being that other programs using the internet do not appear to disconnect.  I
too have experienced a disconnect.  However, I have always blamed the poor
internect connection I had at the time (like at a hotel).

Is there such a setting (time out) that controls pgAdmin3 connections?  I
don't experience any disconnects but I'm on the lan and he's using the wlan.

Johnf

Re: dropping connection

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le mardi 13 octobre 2009 à 19:59:04, John a écrit :
> Hi,
> I have a fellow assocate that uses pgAdmin3 remotely (he is in GA the DB is
>  in CA).  He insists that a "time out" is somewhere in pgAdmin.  He loses
>  connection often.  It has happen while are talking on Skype, or not
>  talking on Skype.  It's also has happened while I was remotely connected.
>  The point being that other programs using the internet do not appear to
>  disconnect.  I too have experienced a disconnect.  However, I have always
>  blamed the poor internect connection I had at the time (like at a hotel).
>
> Is there such a setting (time out) that controls pgAdmin3 connections?  I
> don't experience any disconnects but I'm on the lan and he's using the
>  wlan.

No, there's no such thing. It may be related to your firewall or to
PostgreSQL.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: dropping connection

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 6:59 PM, John <jfabiani@yolo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a fellow assocate that uses pgAdmin3 remotely (he is in GA the DB is in
> CA).  He insists that a "time out" is somewhere in pgAdmin.  He loses
> connection often.  It has happen while are talking on Skype, or not talking
> on Skype.  It's also has happened while I was remotely connected.  The point
> being that other programs using the internet do not appear to disconnect.  I
> too have experienced a disconnect.  However, I have always blamed the poor
> internect connection I had at the time (like at a hotel).
>
> Is there such a setting (time out) that controls pgAdmin3 connections?  I
> don't experience any disconnects but I'm on the lan and he's using the wlan.

No, there is no such code in pgAdmin. It's possibly a NAT router or
WAP dropping the connection due to inactivity (which you're far less
likely to see with an app like Skype).

You could try playing with the tcp_keepalives_idle,
tcp_keepalives_interval and tcp_keepalives_count GUCs on your
colleagues login role though. That way, you can have it use keepalives
on any of his sessions.

--
Dave Page

Re: dropping connection

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
The connection to the database is dropped occasionally (as far as I can tell, independently of internet connectivity issues).  I have experienced this quite a lot. I do not think it is PgAdmin that drops the connection. Could be postgres itself is dropping the connection.

There have been a number of requests for PgAdmin to ty to reestablish the connection "behind the scenes" (at least once) before giving up and reporting a lost connection.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
Le mardi 13 octobre 2009 à 19:59:04, John a écrit :
> Hi,
> I have a fellow assocate that uses pgAdmin3 remotely (he is in GA the DB is
>  in CA).  He insists that a "time out" is somewhere in pgAdmin.  He loses
>  connection often.  It has happen while are talking on Skype, or not
>  talking on Skype.  It's also has happened while I was remotely connected.
>  The point being that other programs using the internet do not appear to
>  disconnect.  I too have experienced a disconnect.  However, I have always
>  blamed the poor internect connection I had at the time (like at a hotel).
>
> Is there such a setting (time out) that controls pgAdmin3 connections?  I
> don't experience any disconnects but I'm on the lan and he's using the
>  wlan.

No, there's no such thing. It may be related to your firewall or to
PostgreSQL.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org
 http://dalibo.com

Re: dropping connection

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
I am using PgAdmin 1.10.2 on Windows XP. PgAdmin has crashed on me three times in the last two hours. This happens when
itloses the connection to the database. The Object Browser reports a problem (I can't recall the exact message) and
afterI click OK (for each message) PgAdmin crashes.<br />

Re: dropping connection

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 23/07/2010 15:13, Michael Shapiro a écrit :
> I am using PgAdmin 1.10.2 on Windows XP. PgAdmin has crashed on me three
> times in the last two hours. This happens when it loses the connection to
> the database. The Object Browser reports a problem (I can't recall the exact
> message) and after I click OK (for each message) PgAdmin crashes.

Yes, when pgAdmin loses the connection to the database, it quickly dies.
Dave commited a patch to make this happen less often. You should try
pgAdmin 1.12 beta and check if it works for you.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: dropping connection

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 23/07/2010 22:26, Michael Shapiro a écrit :
> Do you have a sense of what the patch "fixed"?

Sure, it's on the browser. When pgAdmin detects a dead connection, it
asks the user if he wants to try to reconnect. See
http://www.pgadmin.org/visualtour12.php, there is a screenshot of the
dialog.

> The SQL editor gives a "warning" -- the first error doesn't kill it, but if
> you run the query again it does. So I can cut/paste the query into a new
> editor window and keep going. But the Object Browser doesn't have that
> "feature" ...

That's the other way. The object browser has it. The SQL editor may have
it, but if it does, it wasn't because of this patch.

BTW, keep the list on CC.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: dropping connection

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
The visualtour page seems to imply that this works with 9.0, but it doesn't say if it works with previous versions.
Will the reconnect work with 8.x (eg, 8.1)?

Date:
Le 23/07/2010 22:57, Michael Shapiro a écrit :
> The visualtour page seems to imply that this works with 9.0, but it doesn't
> say if it works with previous versions.
> Will the reconnect work with 8.x (eg, 8.1)?

I don't see how you get to that conclusion. 1.12 has 9.0 support, but
this patch should work whatever the PostgreSQL release you're using.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: dropping connection

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
I tested 1/12 beta. It has exactly the same problem. When the SQL editor loses the connection, rerunning the query causes PgAdmin to crash.

Date:
Le 26/07/2010 18:41, Michael Shapiro a écrit :
> I tested 1/12 beta. It has exactly the same problem. When the SQL editor
> loses the connection, rerunning the query causes PgAdmin to crash.

The patch Dave applied for 1.12 is only for the browser IIRC. The SQL
editor would need another patch.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: dropping connection

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
The IIRC patch works.
Any chance of the SQL editor getting such a patch?

Date:
Le 26/07/2010 20:04, Michael Shapiro a écrit :
> The IIRC patch works.
> Any chance of the SQL editor getting such a patch?

Could be. But not for 1.12, as we are on beta. I added a ticket for this
(http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/216).

--

Date:
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tested 1/12 beta. It has exactly the same problem. When the SQL editor
> loses the connection, rerunning the query causes PgAdmin to crash.

I can't reproduce that - it errors cleanly for me (which is why I
didn't work on the Query Tool earlier):

-- Executing query:
select version()
Total query runtime: 0 ms.
1 row retrieved.

-- Executing query:
select version()
********** Error **********

server closed the connection unexpectedlyThis probably means the server terminated abnormallybefore or while processing
therequest.

-- Executing query:
select version()
********** Error **********

no connection to the server

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: dropping connection

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
What happens is that the first time it does give an error. But the editor is not useable. If I rerun the query a couple
class="gmail_quote"style="margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left:
1ex;"><divclass="im">On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Michael Shapiro <<a
href="mailto:mshapiro51@gmail.com">mshapiro51@gmail.com</a>>wrote:<br /> > I tested 1/12 beta. It has exactly the
sameproblem. When the SQL editor<br /> > loses the connection, rerunning the query causes PgAdmin to crash.<br /><br
/></div>Ican't reproduce that - it errors cleanly for me (which is why I<br /> didn't work on the Query Tool
closedthe connection unexpectedly<br />        This probably means the server terminated abnormally<br />        before

Re: dropping connection

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
> What happens is that the first time it does give an error. But the editor is
> not useable. If I rerun the query a couple times, it can crash.

I tried running the query a bunch of times. It errored, but didn't crash.

Can you select a different database?

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: dropping connection

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
What do you mean: Can I select a different database after I get the error; or do I get the error using a different database?

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
> What happens is that the first time it does give an error. But the editor is
> not useable. If I rerun the query a couple times, it can crash.

I tried running the query a bunch of times. It errored, but didn't crash.

Can you select a different database?

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: dropping connection

From
Dave Page
Date:
The former.

On Monday, July 26, 2010, Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you mean: Can I select a different database after I get the error; or do I get the error using a different
database?

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What happens is that the first time it does give an error. But the editor is
>> not useable. If I rerun the query a couple times, it can crash.
>
> I tried running the query a bunch of times. It errored, but didn't crash.
>
> Can you select a different database?
>
> --
> Dave Page
> The Enterprise Postgres Company

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: dropping connection

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
I'll check this.

I was running the test as if you had meant the latter, so I attempted to disconnect from one of the databases to attempt to answer the former question.

I was running the SQL test in two databases. When I went to disconnect from one of the databases, the browser asked me if I wanted to reconnect to both of them (one after the other). I doubt that I had lost the connection to both -- the pgadmin.log only had a single error message in it

2010-07-26 14:38:17 ERROR  : could not receive data from server: The system cannot find the path specified.
 (0x00000003/3)

This error did not happen from a problem with SQL editor. Those windows were still operating OK.

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
The former.

On Monday, July 26, 2010, Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you mean: Can I select a different database after I get the error; or do I get the error using a different database?
>

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What happens is that the first time it does give an error. But the editor is
>> not useable. If I rerun the query a couple times, it can crash.
>
> I tried running the query a bunch of times. It errored, but didn't crash.
>
> Can you select a different database?
>
> --
> Dave Page
> The Enterprise Postgres Company

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: dropping connection

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
I was able to connect to  a different database after I got the error.
However, now I could not get PgAdmin to crash.
After the first error, I connected to a different database with no problem. Then I ran the query again, and got a slightly different error. Subsequent runs of the query got the same error, but no crash.

The first error just said: ********** Error *******************
The second said: ********** Error *******************  no connection to server.

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
The former.

On Monday, July 26, 2010, Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you mean: Can I select a different database after I get the error; or do I get the error using a different database?
>

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What happens is that the first time it does give an error. But the editor is
>> not useable. If I rerun the query a couple times, it can crash.
>
> I tried running the query a bunch of times. It errored, but didn't crash.
>
> Can you select a different database?
>
> --
> Dave Page
> The Enterprise Postgres Company

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: dropping connection

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
I am running the latest release for Windows (XP) -- 1.12.0 (Sep 17, 2010).
The SQL query window lost the connect, failed to reestablish it, and PgAdmin crashed when I ran the query 2 more times.

I had run a query that took about 10 minutes to complete. It completed. Then I stepped away for a while, so I do not know how long to query window was idle. When I returned, I ran the query again. I got an error, but no crash. I ran it again and got an error, but no crash. The third time caused the crash.
At no time did PgAdmin ask me to reconnect nor tell me it was trying to reconnect.

Date:
Le 24/09/2010 18:17, Michael Shapiro a écrit :
> I am running the latest release for Windows (XP) -- 1.12.0 (Sep 17, 2010).
> The SQL query window lost the connect, failed to reestablish it, and PgAdmin
> crashed when I ran the query 2 more times.
>
> I had run a query that took about 10 minutes to complete. It completed. Then
> I stepped away for a while, so I do not know how long to query window was
> idle. When I returned, I ran the query again. I got an error, but no crash.
> I ran it again and got an error, but no crash. The third time caused the
> crash.
> At no time did PgAdmin ask me to reconnect nor tell me it was trying to
> reconnect.

Sorry, but I still can't reproduce this :-/

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: dropping connection

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 24/09/2010 18:17, Michael Shapiro a écrit :
>> I am running the latest release for Windows (XP) -- 1.12.0 (Sep 17, 2010).
>> The SQL query window lost the connect, failed to reestablish it, and PgAdmin
>> crashed when I ran the query 2 more times.
>>
>> I had run a query that took about 10 minutes to complete. It completed. Then
>> I stepped away for a while, so I do not know how long to query window was
>> idle. When I returned, I ran the query again. I got an error, but no crash.
>> I ran it again and got an error, but no crash. The third time caused the
>> crash.
>> At no time did PgAdmin ask me to reconnect nor tell me it was trying to
>> reconnect.
>>

> Sorry, but I still can't reproduce this :-/

I will be trying later - but note that the Query Tool intentionally
doesn't try to reconnect like the browser does, as we have no way of
reliably resetting the new connection to the state the old one was in.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

Date:
On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Le 24/09/2010 18:17, Michael Shapiro a écrit :
>>> I am running the latest release for Windows (XP) -- 1.12.0 (Sep 17, 2010).
>>> The SQL query window lost the connect, failed to reestablish it, and PgAdmin
>>> crashed when I ran the query 2 more times.
>>>
>>> I had run a query that took about 10 minutes to complete. It completed. Then
>>> I stepped away for a while, so I do not know how long to query window was
>>> idle. When I returned, I ran the query again. I got an error, but no crash.
>>> I ran it again and got an error, but no crash. The third time caused the
>>> crash.
>>> At no time did PgAdmin ask me to reconnect nor tell me it was trying to
>>> reconnect.
>>>

>> Sorry, but I still can't reproduce this :-/
>
> I will be trying later - but note that the Query Tool intentionally
> doesn't try to reconnect like the browser does, as we have no way of
> reliably resetting the new connection to the state the old one was in.

I can't reproduce it either.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: dropping connection

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
It is frustrating, it is not reproducible by me either. I can't find a way to force it happen. I even had the sys-admins on the server kill the backend process that was connected to the query window and could not get the crash.

I have had my system checked to see if there are hardware issues that may cause this, but nothing has turned up.
I understand that if a problem is not reproducible it would be pretty hard to find the cause.

Is there anything I can do on my end to help with this? Some kind of debugging (either in PgAdmin or Windows) that I could turn on so that when it does happen, you would have something useful to work with ...

Date:
Le 27/09/2010 17:27, Michael Shapiro a écrit :
> It is frustrating, it is not reproducible by me either. I can't find a way
> to force it happen. I even had the sys-admins on the server kill the backend
> process that was connected to the query window and could not get the crash.
>
> I have had my system checked to see if there are hardware issues that may
> cause this, but nothing has turned up.
> I understand that if a problem is not reproducible it would be pretty hard
> to find the cause.
>
> Is there anything I can do on my end to help with this? Some kind of
> debugging (either in PgAdmin or Windows) that I could turn on so that when
> it does happen, you would have something useful to work with ...

Nope. The only thing I can say is that, if you get bitten with it
another time, try to remember exactly how it came. I know it's not that
useful, but I don't think you can do much more.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: dropping connection

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
OK. I'll live with it. I know what happens. I run query once. Then I let the window sit idle for a while (long enough for the connection to get dropped, or at least I think it is dropped). Then I re-run the query. I get an error message (but no prompt to reconnect). Then if I run the query yet again, I get the error again (no prompt to reconnect) and occasionally, (but not every time), PgAdmin then crashes.