query tool save problem

From
"Jan Zach"
Date:
Hi everybody,

when saving some national chars (see e.g. char with code 248 in table http://biega.com/ISO-8859-2.gif) everything seems
okbut the result file on the disk is of size 0.

I'm running version 1.4.1 (Feb 11 2006) build from ports on FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p3, widgets wxgtk2u-2.6.

Regards

Jan

Re: query tool save problem

From
"Dave Page"

Can you try 1.4.2 please - it had some encoding fixes in it.

Regards, Dave

Re: query tool save problem

From
"Jan Zach"
> > when saving some national chars (see e.g. char with code 248
> > in table http://biega.com/ISO-8859-2.gif) everything seems ok
> > but the result file on the disk is of size 0.
> >
> > I'm running version 1.4.1 (Feb 11 2006) build from ports on
> > FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p3, widgets wxgtk2u-2.6.
>
> Can you try 1.4.2 please - it had some encoding fixes in it.
>
> Regards, Dave

The same problem.

Regards
Jan

Re: query tool save problem

From
"Dave Page"

Can you send me a text file containing some test data that won't save
please?

BTW, is this the query results, or saving the query itself that fails?

Thanks Dave.

Re: query tool save problem

From
"Jan Zach"
> > ok but the

> > on FreeBSD
> > >
> > > Can you try 1.4.2 please - it had some encoding fixes in it.
> > >
> > > Regards, Dave
> >
> > The same problem.
>
> Can you send me a text file containing some test data that won't save
> please?
>
> BTW, is this the query results, or saving the query itself that fails?
>
> Thanks Dave.

The problem is with  saving the query itself.
See the attachment. It's char 0xf8 (\u0159). It is interesting this file can be read and saved (but national chars are
diplayedcrippled), however, writing those chars down from keyboard displayes them properly but the save does not work.
In the table view data dialog national chars work properly. Database encoding is utf-8 if it's relevant...

Regards
Jan

Attachment

Re: query tool save problem

From
"Dave Page"

Viewing the file in pgAdmin as well as other editors on Windows and Linux, I see characters shown in the screenshot
attached,which is also what DOS displays if I try alt+0248. I assume you are expecting to see r with an inverted carat
aboveit? In all cases I can save and load the file correctly.

Unfortunately encoding issues aren't something I know a huge amount about - perhaps Andreas or Hiroshi can provide
furtherhints? The thread starts at http://www.pgadmin.org/archives/pgadmin-support/2006-04/msg00100.php if you missed
it.

Regards, Dave.

Attachment

Re: query tool save problem

From
"Hirodhi Saito"
Date:
Hi

I cannot find a problem. Although or is not surely known by the
reason I do not know the LATIN character...

Regards,
Hitroshi Saito

From: "Dave Page"
> The problem is with saving the query itself.
> See the attachment. It's char 0xf8 (\u0159). It is

Re: query tool save problem

From
"Jan Zach"
Date:
Hi,

that is really strange. Maybe it could be FreeBSD related problem? Anyway, I would expect that this behaviour has to
producean erroneous state or exception and it woule be nice to notify the user as the surprise the next day is not nice
:-)Thanks

Regards

Jan

> Od: z-saito@guitar.ocn.ne.jp
> Komu:  "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>,"Jan Zach" <zach@centrum.cz>, <pgadmin-support@postgresql.org>
> CC:  "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de>
> Datum: 21.04.2006 17:26
> Předmět: Re: [pgadmin-support] query tool save problem
>
>  Hi
>
> I cannot find a problem. Although or is not surely known by the
> reason I do not know the LATIN character...
>
> Regards,
> Hitroshi Saito
>
> From: "Dave Page"
> > The problem is with saving the query itself.
> > See the attachment. It's char 0xf8 (\u0159). It is

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: query tool save problem

From
"Dave Page"

Yes, absolutely it should - I've corrected a couple of places where the
file write operation wasn't checked so you should see an error message
and code in future releases. If you are able to build a version from
SVN, it'd be interesting to know what error code you get.

Regards, Dave