Pgadmin III not honoring DATESTYLE

From
Francisco Leovey
Date:
worksOK except for Pgadmin III.<br />When you ask for "view data" in Pgadmin III a date field shows yyyy-mm-dd instead
holidaypictures in hardcover<br /><a
href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/photobooks/*http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/photos/evt=38088/*http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//page?.file=photobook_splash.html">Photo
Books</a>.You design it and we’ll bind it!

Re: Pgadmin III not honoring DATESTYLE

From
"Dave Page"

From: pgadmin-support-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgadmin-support-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Francisco Leovey
Sent: 18 January 2006 12:01
To: pgadmin-support@postgresql.org
Subject: [pgadmin-support] Pgadmin III not honoring DATESTYLE

PostgreSQL version: 8.1.2
Operating system:   Linux
Details:

By default in postgresql.conf the DATESTYLE is set to "SQL,European" and it works OK except for Pgadmin III.
When you ask for "view data" in Pgadmin III a date field shows yyyy-mm-dd instead of dd/mm/yyyy
Please tell me how to fix this

pgAdmin works with DATESTYLE=ISO to ensure that dates cannot be misinterpreted when using servers with different settings. Supporting differing datestyles on different servers is not easy to do and can lead to user confusion. As an administration tool we prefer pgAdmin to remain unambiguous rather than make it easy to unintentionally enter invalid data, or misinterpret query results.

Regards, Dave

Re: Pgadmin III not honoring DATESTYLE

From
Alexey Vorobyev
Date:
On 1/18/06, Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> wrote:

> By default in postgresql.conf the DATESTYLE is set to "SQL,European" and it
> works OK except for Pgadmin III.
> When you ask for "view data" in Pgadmin III a date field shows yyyy-mm-dd
> instead of dd/mm/yyyy
> Please tell me how to fix this
>
> pgAdmin works with DATESTYLE=ISO to ensure that dates cannot be
> misinterpreted when using servers with different settings. Supporting
> differing datestyles on different servers is not easy to do and can lead to
> user confusion. As an administration tool we prefer pgAdmin to remain
> unambiguous rather than make it easy to unintentionally enter invalid data,
> or misinterpret query results.
>
> Regards, Dave

I Don't think it's a good idea to set it's own Datestyle in pgAdmin.
I work both witg psql and pgAdmin and have "German" datestyle set for database.
It's not very easy to switch my mind :) between datestyles.
By the way, previous versions of pgadmin (II ?) worked well.

--
Alexey Vorobyevv
[icq #16768917]

Re: Pgadmin III not honoring DATESTYLE

From
"Dave Page"

Psql doesn't have to deal with multiple connections to different
databases, let alone different servers at once. Having had to fix the
end result of the confusion that differing datestyles can cause on a
multi-million row table there is no way I'd want pgAdmin to work in
anything other than unambiguous ISO format.

> It's not very easy to switch my mind :) between datestyles.

Well, I would consider applying a patch that gave the user the option of
turning on database-formatted dates, but only if it was off by default.
This is not something I'm going to work on though.

> By the way, previous versions of pgadmin (II ?) worked well.

pgAdmin II was an entirely different application written using different
technology with it's own set of problems. It certainly suffered from the
ambiguity problem that is my main concern, although to a lesser extent
as it only connected to one server at a time.

Regards, Dave.