Re: Pgadmin III not honoring DATESTYLE - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Pgadmin III not honoring DATESTYLE
Date
List pgadmin-support

From: Francisco Leovey [mailto:fleovey@yahoo.com]
Sent: 20 January 2006 12:14
To: Dave Page
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Pgadmin III not honoring DATESTYLE

Hello  Dave

I understand your answer, bu if you check in PgAdmin II this works fine, so it is an unexpected change. I beleive PgAdmin III should inquire from the server the setting of DATESTYLE and use it, just as before.
Thanks and best regards

Hi Francisco,

pgAdmin II is a totally different codebase, which we learned a lot from. One of those things was that having differing datestyles can lead to confusion and accidental data corruption (if you've ever had to try to fix the dates in a multi-million row table you'll know where I'm coming from). As I said in an earlier email, if someone want's to write a patch that makes honouring DATESTYLE a non-default option, then we'll certainly consider including it, however this is not something I intend to work on.

Regards, Dave.