Newbie to pgadmin

From
Miguel González Castaños
Date:
Dear all,
I am a newbie using PgAdmin, I got back to work with PostgreSQL, the
last time I used PostgreSQL for a project PostgreSQL was around version
7.1.x something (It was two years ago...).
Now I am using version 7.3.4 and my colleagues asked for a nice-easy
gui admin tool under windows 2000 for designing databases and inserting
data on them.
I searched on the postgresql web site, and I found pgadmin III. It
seems like it is what We need, but having a quick look into it, we have
seen:

[+] As In the Introduction and Concepts book from Bruce Monjiam
suggests, We use serial number instead of OIDs. If OIDs are not used in
the tables, then There is no way to add rows in the edit grid...At least
I havent found the way...

[+] There is any case ( I have been able to reproduce it again) where
pgadmin III required to use public."test" name for a table instead of
the name test. I still do not know why, as I have said, I havent been
able to reproduce it again

[+] For that reason Someone suggested to use pgaccess, which seems that
has a way of doing so. This tool seems to be much easier, but also more
limited that pgadmin III, though. So in the end, I have suggested to use
PgAdmin III for designing the database and PgAccess for inserting the
data. I dont know if It would be easy or not to have a look into the
pgaccess code and share some source code...(although are not coded in
the same computer language ?)

[+] Apart of that I see in the ToDo list that the backup/restore option
will appear soon...Is that related with the export data dialog, isnt it?

[+] I am a native Spanish speaker (quite obvious from my mistakes
writing English), if any help is needed (even coding something) I could
give a hand...Anyway I would like to comment that in the Sequences, the
word chosen is "Sequencias" and in Spanish is "Secuencias"...just a
small typo...

Glad to hear from you soon

Miguel

Re: Newbie to pgadmin

From
"Dave Page"

Hi Miguel,

> [+] As In the Introduction and Concepts book from Bruce
> Monjiam suggests, We use serial number instead of OIDs. If
> OIDs are not used in the tables, then There is no way to add
> rows in the edit grid...At least I havent found the way...

The edit grid will work if you have either a primary key or OIDs in your table. I usually add a serial column to every
tableand mark it as the primary key.

> [+] There is any case ( I have been able to reproduce it
> again) where pgadmin III required to use public."test" name
> for a table instead of the name test. I still do not know
> why, as I have said, I havent been able to reproduce it again

At a guess you capitalised it so it created public."Test". If you stick to lower case, numbers and underscore
charactersthat should prevent quoting making your schema look messy :-)

> [+] For that reason Someone suggested to use pgaccess, which
> seems that has a way of doing so. This tool seems to be much
> easier, but also more limited that pgadmin III, though. So in
> the end, I have suggested to use PgAdmin III for designing
> the database and PgAccess for inserting the data. I dont know
> if It would be easy or not to have a look into the pgaccess
> code and share some source code...(although are not coded in
> the same computer language ?)

No they aren't (and the licences are incompatible), but there isn't much need anyway as the pgAdmin data editor works
wellif you have pkeys.

> [+] Apart of that I see in the ToDo list that the
> backup/restore option will appear soon...Is that related with
> the export data dialog, isnt it?

No. The Export Data dialogue simply exports data in a results grid to a delimited text file. The backup option will be
afrontend to pg_dump, whilst restore will probably be an enhanced script runner that can handle compressed scripts and
\connectdirectives.

> [+] I am a native Spanish speaker (quite obvious from my
> mistakes writing English),

Not that obvious, your English is far better than many native speakers I know!

> if any help is needed (even coding
> something) I could give a hand...

Thanks - please feel free to lend a hand however you like, just pick something from the bugs list or todo list and have
ago at producing a patch. It's definitely a good idea to email the hackers list pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org with your
intendedwork though just we don't work on the same things.

Alternatively, the website could do with a Spanish translation. Details are at
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/translation.phpif you wish to give it a go.

> Anyway I would like to
> comment that in the Sequences, the word chosen is
> "Sequencias" and in Spanish is "Secuencias"...just a small typo...

Thanks. I have updated the PO file for this.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Newbie to pgadmin

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Miguel González Castaños wrote:

>Dear all,
>
> I am a newbie using PgAdmin, I got back to work with PostgreSQL, the
>last time I used PostgreSQL for a project PostgreSQL was around version
>7.1.x something (It was two years ago...).
>
> Now I am using version 7.3.4 and my colleagues asked for a nice-easy
>gui admin tool under windows 2000 for designing databases and inserting
>data on them.
>
> I searched on the postgresql web site, and I found pgadmin III. It
>seems like it is what We need, but having a quick look into it, we have
>seen:
>
>[+] As In the Introduction and Concepts book from Bruce Monjiam
>suggests, We use serial number instead of OIDs. If OIDs are not used in
>the tables, then There is no way to add rows in the edit grid...At least
>I havent found the way...

You're probably missing a primary key on that table.

>[+] There is any case ( I have been able to reproduce it again) where
>pgadmin III required to use public."test" name for a table instead of
>the name test. I still do not know why, as I have said, I havent been
>able to reproduce it again

Unknown... please specify if you locate a problem.

>[+] For that reason Someone suggested to use pgaccess, which seems that
>has a way of doing so. This tool seems to be much easier, but also more
>limited that pgadmin III, though. So in the end, I have suggested to use
>PgAdmin III for designing the database and PgAccess for inserting the
>data. I dont know if It would be easy or not to have a look into the
>pgaccess code and share some source code...(although are not coded in
>the same computer language ?)

You certainly may use different tools if you like, but you should be
able to enter all data using the grid if oid or pk is present.

>[+] Apart of that I see in the ToDo list that the backup/restore option
>will appear soon...Is that related with the export data dialog, isnt it?

No, export is a user friendly export format, backup/restore is for admin
purposes (gui for pg_dump/pg_restore)

>[+] I am a native Spanish speaker (quite obvious from my mistakes
>writing English), if any help is needed (even coding something) I could
>give a hand...Anyway I would like to comment that in the Sequences, the
>word chosen is "Sequencias" and in Spanish is "Secuencias"...just a
>small typo...

Fixed,
You're invited to review *all* spanish translations, just as any other
language should be reviewed by a person different from the original
translator. You just don't see your own typos...

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Newbie to pgadmin

From
Miguel González Castaños

Thank you you both for such a nice welcome...:) This encourages anyone
give a hand to a such nice project ;)

Anyway, I cannot get the export dialog box, I´ve got the stable
release...Could you give me any advice on where to look at?

Thanks for the compliment about my English.

By the way, any of you mentioned something about the translation into
Spanish
of the website, how should I contact with?

Many thanks for the hints

Miguel

Andreas Pflug ha escrito:

> Miguel González Castaños wrote:
>
> >Dear all,
> >
> > I am a newbie using PgAdmin, I got back to work with PostgreSQL, the
> >last time I used PostgreSQL for a project PostgreSQL was around version
> >7.1.x something (It was two years ago...).
> >
> > Now I am using version 7.3.4 and my colleagues asked for a nice-easy
> >gui admin tool under windows 2000 for designing databases and inserting
> >data on them.
> >
> > I searched on the postgresql web site, and I found pgadmin III. It
> >seems like it is what We need, but having a quick look into it, we have
> >seen:
> >
> >[+] As In the Introduction and Concepts book from Bruce Monjiam
> >suggests, We use serial number instead of OIDs. If OIDs are not used in
> >the tables, then There is no way to add rows in the edit grid...At least
> >I havent found the way...
> >

> You're probably missing a primary key on that table.
>
> >[+] There is any case ( I have been able to reproduce it again) where
> >pgadmin III required to use public."test" name for a table instead of
> >the name test. I still do not know why, as I have said, I havent been
> >able to reproduce it again
> >

> Unknown... please specify if you locate a problem.
>
> >[+] For that reason Someone suggested to use pgaccess, which seems that
> >has a way of doing so. This tool seems to be much easier, but also more
> >limited that pgadmin III, though. So in the end, I have suggested to use
> >PgAdmin III for designing the database and PgAccess for inserting the
> >data. I dont know if It would be easy or not to have a look into the
> >pgaccess code and share some source code...(although are not coded in
> >the same computer language ?)
> >

> You certainly may use different tools if you like, but you should be
> able to enter all data using the grid if oid or pk is present.
>
> >[+] Apart of that I see in the ToDo list that the backup/restore option
> >will appear soon...Is that related with the export data dialog, isnt it?
> >

> No, export is a user friendly export format, backup/restore is for admin
> purposes (gui for pg_dump/pg_restore)
>
> >[+] I am a native Spanish speaker (quite obvious from my mistakes
> >writing English), if any help is needed (even coding something) I could
> >give a hand...Anyway I would like to comment that in the Sequences, the
> >word chosen is "Sequencias" and in Spanish is "Secuencias"...just a
> >small typo...
> >

> Fixed,
> You're invited to review *all* spanish translations, just as any other
> language should be reviewed by a person different from the original
> translator. You just don't see your own typos...
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Re: Newbie to pgadmin

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Miguel González Castaños wrote:

>Thank you you both for such a nice welcome...:) This encourages anyone
>give a hand to a such nice project ;)
>
>Anyway, I cannot get the export dialog box, I´ve got the stable
>release...Could you give me any advice on where to look at?

The export menu is only active if there's something to export, i.e. if a
query has returned some result. You may as well run "Execute to file"
for this, much faster for big result sets.

>Thanks for the compliment about my English.
>
>By the way, any of you mentioned something about the translation into
>Spanish
>of the website, how should I contact with?

You can contact Jean-Michel about website translation (jm@@poure.com).

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Newbie to pgadmin

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Le Vendredi 28 Novembre 2003 18:42, Andreas Pflug a écrit :
> You can contact Jean-Michel about website translation (jm@@poure.com).

Dear Miguel,

Thanks for your interest in translating pgAdmin web site into Spanish.

All information is available from the translation page:
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/translation.php

1) At first, follow the translation howto in order to install poEdit:
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/translation.php#howto

poEdit works fine under Win2000 and WinXP. I reveived information from
translators saying it works fine too under Win98.

2) Then, when poEdit is installed, download the translation file:
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/locale/pgadmin3_website.pot

Save the file on your local disc. Keep the .pot file, copy and rename it
pgadmin3_website.po

3) Translate pgadmin3_website.po using poEdit. Again, follow the translation
how-to explaining the meaning of variable placeholders (%s, etc...). All
information should be in the howto.

4) When it is finished, send me the translated file. I can publish your text
within minutes on a development server, which allows you to validate the
translation on-line.

Hope this helps...

Best regards,
Jean-Michel