Newbie to pgadmin - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Miguel González Castaños
Subject Newbie to pgadmin
Date
List pgadmin-support
Dear all,
I am a newbie using PgAdmin, I got back to work with PostgreSQL, the
last time I used PostgreSQL for a project PostgreSQL was around version
7.1.x something (It was two years ago...).
Now I am using version 7.3.4 and my colleagues asked for a nice-easy
gui admin tool under windows 2000 for designing databases and inserting
data on them.
I searched on the postgresql web site, and I found pgadmin III. It
seems like it is what We need, but having a quick look into it, we have
seen:

[+] As In the Introduction and Concepts book from Bruce Monjiam
suggests, We use serial number instead of OIDs. If OIDs are not used in
the tables, then There is no way to add rows in the edit grid...At least
I havent found the way...

[+] There is any case ( I have been able to reproduce it again) where
pgadmin III required to use public."test" name for a table instead of
the name test. I still do not know why, as I have said, I havent been
able to reproduce it again

[+] For that reason Someone suggested to use pgaccess, which seems that
has a way of doing so. This tool seems to be much easier, but also more
limited that pgadmin III, though. So in the end, I have suggested to use
PgAdmin III for designing the database and PgAccess for inserting the
data. I dont know if It would be easy or not to have a look into the
pgaccess code and share some source code...(although are not coded in
the same computer language ?)

[+] Apart of that I see in the ToDo list that the backup/restore option
will appear soon...Is that related with the export data dialog, isnt it?

[+] I am a native Spanish speaker (quite obvious from my mistakes
writing English), if any help is needed (even coding something) I could
give a hand...Anyway I would like to comment that in the Sequences, the
word chosen is "Sequencias" and in Spanish is "Secuencias"...just a
small typo...

Glad to hear from you soon

Miguel