German umlauts in pgadmin III

From
Albin Blaschka
Date:
Hello,

I am confronted with a little problem in pgadmin III:

Table cells and comments on database objects are not
properly displayed if they contain a german umlaut.
The table cells just contain  ", the comments (on tables,
for example) are completly empty.
In pgadmin II everything is okay, if I connect via
ODBC/Access to the tables, the umlauts are properly
displayed, too.

Plattform for pgadmin: Win 2000
Database: Postgres 7.3.2 on Debian Linux Woody (3.0),
Database encoding SQL_ASCII

Thanks in advance,

Albin

** Albin Blaschka, Mag. rer. nat.
** BAL Gumpenstein
** Projekt: Landschaft und Landwirtschaft im Wandel
** Tel.: 03682 / 22451 - 244
** No trees were killed in the creation of this message.
** However, many electrons were terrible inconvenienced.

Re: German umlauts in pgadmin III

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Le Lundi 20 Octobre 2003 10:43, Albin Blaschka a écrit :
> Plattform for pgadmin: Win 2000
> Database: Postgres 7.3.2 on Debian Linux Woody (3.0),
> Database encoding SQL_ASCII

Dear Albin,

This problem was fixed in CVS.

Two solutions:
1) Wait for a Win32 binary snapshots. There should be one sooner or later from
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/download.php#snapshots.

2) Use a Latin1 (iso8859-1) or Unicode database to store German text. This
should solve your problem without the need to wait for a snapshots. A latin1
database is the recommanded way.

Cheers, Jean-Michel

Re: German umlauts in pgadmin III

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
Hi Albin,

Albin Blaschka wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am confronted with a little problem in pgadmin III:
>
> Table cells and comments on database objects are not
> properly displayed if they contain a german umlaut.
> The table cells just contain  ", the comments (on tables,
> for example) are completly empty.
> In pgadmin II everything is okay, if I connect via
> ODBC/Access to the tables, the umlauts are properly
> displayed, too.
>
> Plattform for pgadmin: Win 2000
> Database: Postgres 7.3.2 on Debian Linux Woody (3.0),
> Database encoding SQL_ASCII                    ^^^^^^^^^^

This is wrong. You cant have Umlauts with ASCII.
If you input them, you violate the ASCII codeset,
wich is 7 Bit only.
You'll have to recode your data to ISO8859-1
(Latin-1) or any superset (UNICODE)
Then pgadminIII works as well as any other
application. For migration or your apps
they should just set their client_encoding
to iso8859-1 then (if you choose UNICODE)

Regards
Tino Wildenhain

Re: German umlauts in pgadmin III

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Albin Blaschka wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am confronted with a little problem in pgadmin III:
>
>Table cells and comments on database objects are not
>properly displayed if they contain a german umlaut.
>The table cells just contain  ", the comments (on tables,
>for example) are completly empty.
>In pgadmin II everything is okay, if I connect via
>ODBC/Access to the tables, the umlauts are properly
>displayed, too.

Umlaute are no ascii chars, so they can't converted to unicode.
V1.0.1 which was released some days ago has a workaround for miscoded
databases, leaving encoding conversions to the client if the db is
created SQL_ASCII.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: German umlauts in pgadmin III

From
Reshat Sabiq
Date:
Actually, it's a wording issue:
ASCII:   7-bit
Extended ASCII (Latin 1):   8-bit

Personally, whenever i say ASCII, i usually mean Extended ASCII.

Regards.

--
Sincerely,
Reshat.

If you see my certificate with this message, you should be able to send me encrypted e-mail.
Please consult your e-mail client for details if you would like to do that.

Re: German umlauts in pgadmin III

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
Hi Reshat Sabiq,

Reshat Sabiq wrote:
> Actually, it's a wording issue:
> ASCII:   7-bit
> Extended ASCII (Latin 1):   8-bit
>
> Personally, whenever i say ASCII, i usually mean Extended ASCII.

No matter what you say, but postgres knows your "extended ascii"
by the name Latin1 :-) (or iso8859-1)
While SQL ASCII is a complete other encoding.

Regards
Tino Wildenhain

Re: German umlauts in pgadmin III

From
"Dave Page"

I just ran into this on my system with the £ symbol (UK Pound symbol, not #), however the fix doesn't seem to work in
CVStip - Any column that contains a £ value anywhere in it shows up as having a null value. At very least I would
expectto see an 'unknown char' symbol in place of the pound sign, and the rest of the string intact.

Regards, Dave.

Date:

Date:
Albin Blaschka wrote:

>>Hello,
>>
>>Thanks for all the answers, I solved the problem with "converting" my
>>databases to Latin1...
>>(dumping the data, dropping the DB, recreate it with Latin1, reloading
>>data)
>>
>>Was quite an effort, but did it and without problems...
>>
>>BTW: PGAdmin III, V1.01 did *not* work in that case (displaying german
>>umlaute properly...)
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Albin
>>
>>--
>>************************************************************************
>>** Albin Blaschka, Mag. rer. nat.
>>** BAL Gumpenstein
>>** Projekt: Landschaft und Landwirtschaft im Wandel
>>** Tel.: 03682 / 22451 - 244
>>** No trees were killed in the creation of this message.
>>** However, many electrons were terrible inconvenienced.

While the conversion *is* correctly determined for each connection, it
wasn't applied in pgSet...
Done now (head and trunk).

Regards,
Andreas