FATAL 1: Password authentication failed, connecting to remote server

From
"Michael R. Levy"
Date:
I'm working with a remote version of PostgreSQL provided by an ISP (and
shared with other customers).  I can connect to the database from my desktop
either by:

psql -h mydomain.com -U myuser
or
psql -h mydomain.com -U myuser -d mydatabase

I can also connect using Squirrel, setting the connection up with
URL set as   jdbc:postgresql://mydomain.com/mydatabase
and User Name set up as myuser

I was using pgAdmin II v1.4.12, and recently installed pgAdmin II v1.5 Build
60.

I try to connect using
Server    mydomain.com
Port      5432
Username  myusername
Password  mypassword

...and get the error below.

Any help much appreciated!

-- System Information --

Platform:         Windows XP
Version:         5.1
Build:         2600 Service Pack 1

-- Application Information --

Name:         pgAdmin II
Version:         1.5.60
Descripton:

Name:         pgSchema
Version:         1.5.60
Descripton:     PostgreSQL Schema Objects v1.5.60

-- Database Information --

Version:         0.0.0
Descripton:

-- Driver Information --

Name:
Version:         0.0.0
Descripton:

-- Error Information --

Number:         -2147217843
Routine:         pgAdmin II:frmConnect.cmdConnect_Click

Insert your comment:

Re: FATAL 1: Password authentication failed, connecting to remote server

From
"Dave Page"

Hi Michael,

You probably don't have permission to access the template1 database on
the server (which pgAdmin intially connectsto by default). On one of the
tabs under Tools -> Options, try setting the name of the master database
to one you can access.

Regards, Dave.