Support for Slony 2.0?

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Hi,

I want to know if we still want to support Slony. I was working on
fixing an issue with our support of Slony till I finally understood we
don't have any support of Slony 2.0.

I remember that some of us wanted to get rid of our Slony support. I'm
all to keep it. I think this is the kind of things that makes pgAdmin
special.

So, I'm ready to work on this: make sure Slony 1.2 is still supported
and add support for 2.0.

But before working on this, I want to make sure this won't be a useless
effort. So I guess I would like to have a final decision on this. Do we
decide to drop Slony support in 1.14, or do we decide that I can work on
it, fix it, add support for 2.0, etc.?

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: Support for Slony 2.0?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 21:19, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to know if we still want to support Slony. I was working on
> fixing an issue with our support of Slony till I finally understood we
> don't have any support of Slony 2.0.
>
> I remember that some of us wanted to get rid of our Slony support. I'm
> all to keep it. I think this is the kind of things that makes pgAdmin
> special.

Do you know anybody who actually use it? :-)

I'm +1 for keeping it as long as it doesn't take a lot of work to
maintain it, but if it does I htink that time is better spent
elsewhere. But in the end, it's up to whomever wants to spend the
time. If it's not actually *broken* now, that means it didn't really
require much maintenance before, because I don't recall seeing a lot
of "fix slony support" commits.

Oh, and if we're doing much work on it, how about renaming it from
"Replication" to "slony replication" or such? So people won't confuse
it with streaming replication which is what most people will think we
mean with "replication" in the future, I think.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Support for Slony 2.0?

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 19/01/2011 21:36, Magnus Hagander a écrit :
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 21:19, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to know if we still want to support Slony. I was working on
>> fixing an issue with our support of Slony till I finally understood we
>> don't have any support of Slony 2.0.
>>
>> I remember that some of us wanted to get rid of our Slony support. I'm
>> all to keep it. I think this is the kind of things that makes pgAdmin
>> special.
>
> Do you know anybody who actually use it? :-)

I know at least two that complained about it not being 2.0 aware. Not
sure they use it really, but the big error message we have is not good.

One easy way to fix 1.12 is to add a "We don't support Slony 2.0."
message when one clicks on the replication node, and to stop showing
nodes below it.

But we need something for 1.14 or later: either get rid of all, or
support all.

> I'm +1 for keeping it as long as it doesn't take a lot of work to
> maintain it, but if it does I htink that time is better spent
> elsewhere. But in the end, it's up to whomever wants to spend the
> time. If it's not actually *broken* now, that means it didn't really
> require much maintenance before, because I don't recall seeing a lot
> of "fix slony support" commits.

I think Slony 1.2 is working. At least, I haven't seen any bug reports.
Slony 2.0 doesn't.

> Oh, and if we're doing much work on it, how about renaming it from
> "Replication" to "slony replication" or such? So people won't confuse
> it with streaming replication which is what most people will think we
> mean with "replication" in the future, I think.

You mean when 9.2 or 9.3 will be released? when we'll have all those
admin and monitoring capacities? :-D yeah, I know, you're doing quite a
lof of great stuff to make that happen now (now like "in 9.1"). Well,
actually, I do believe this isn't the end of Slony. Not now, not
tomorrow, not still in two years from now.

To answer the question, yeah, we could rename it till we need it for
another kind of replication (the streaming one for instance).

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: Support for Slony 2.0?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 22:17, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 19/01/2011 21:36, Magnus Hagander a écrit :
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 21:19, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to know if we still want to support Slony. I was working on
>>> fixing an issue with our support of Slony till I finally understood we
>>> don't have any support of Slony 2.0.
>>>
>>> I remember that some of us wanted to get rid of our Slony support. I'm
>>> all to keep it. I think this is the kind of things that makes pgAdmin
>>> special.
>>
>> Do you know anybody who actually use it? :-)
>>

> I know at least two that complained about it not being 2.0 aware. Not
> sure they use it really, but the big error message we have is not good.

:-) True.

> One easy way to fix 1.12 is to add a "We don't support Slony 2.0."
> message when one clicks on the replication node, and to stop showing
> nodes below it.

Well, for backport, that seems reasonable.

> But we need something for 1.14 or later: either get rid of all, or
> support all.

Agreed.

>> I'm +1 for keeping it as long as it doesn't take a lot of work to
>> maintain it, but if it does I htink that time is better spent
>> elsewhere. But in the end, it's up to whomever wants to spend the
>> time. If it's not actually *broken* now, that means it didn't really
>> require much maintenance before, because I don't recall seeing a lot
>> of "fix slony support" commits.
>>

> I think Slony 1.2 is working. At least, I haven't seen any bug reports.
> Slony 2.0 doesn't.

Ok.

>> Oh, and if we're doing much work on it, how about renaming it from
>> "Replication" to "slony replication" or such? So people won't confuse
>> it with streaming replication which is what most people will think we
>> mean with "replication" in the future, I think.
>>

> You mean when 9.2 or 9.3 will be released? when we'll have all those
> admin and monitoring capacities? :-D yeah, I know, you're doing quite a
> lof of great stuff to make that happen now (now like "in 9.1"). Well,
> actually, I do believe this isn't the end of Slony. Not now, not
> tomorrow, not still in two years from now.

No, I mean *today*. Given that a lot of people have said "9.0 is the
replicatoin release", people are probably already reacting to it.

> To answer the question, yeah, we could rename it till we need it for
> another kind of replication (the streaming one for instance).

I think we should rename it even if we don't have another option -
simply because *postgresql* has another option.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Support for Slony 2.0?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to know if we still want to support Slony. I was working on
> fixing an issue with our support of Slony till I finally understood we
> don't have any support of Slony 2.0.

That's not correct - it certainly was working as Sachin made changes
to support 2.0, eg:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgadmin3.git;a=commitdiff;h=0edc75af62a223d5a015c81de7d1ebeea3d7ccd3

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Support for Slony 2.0?

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 19/01/2011 22:26, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to know if we still want to support Slony. I was working on
>> fixing an issue with our support of Slony till I finally understood we
>> don't have any support of Slony 2.0.
>
> That's not correct - it certainly was working as Sachin made changes
> to support 2.0, eg:
>
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgadmin3.git;a=commitdiff;h=0edc75af62a223d5a015c81de7d1ebeea3d7ccd3

Oops, yeah, you're right. Sorry. So we have at least two bugs on 2.0.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: Support for Slony 2.0?

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 21:19 +0100, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

<snip>

> But before working on this, I want to make sure this won't be a
> useless effort. So I guess I would like to have a final decision on
> this. Do we decide to drop Slony support in 1.14, or do we decide that
> I can work on it, fix it, add support for 2.0, etc.?

<Talk is cheap for me. All I can do is testing.>

...from a PoV of a user or a DBA from field, we need a real GUI that
helps people to setup a Slony-I cluster easily -- or say, as easy as
possible.

So, if it is not too much effort, I'd say we need to support Slony.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: Support for Slony 2.0?

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
2011/1/20 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:

> ...from a PoV of a user or a DBA from field, we need a real GUI that
> helps people to setup a Slony-I cluster easily -- or say, as easy as
> possible.

I'm just not sure that PgAdmin actually makes setting up a Slony-I
cluster easier than writing a Slonik script. It probably makes
maintaining an existing cluster easier though.

Peter Geoghegan

Re: Support for Slony 2.0?

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 18:37 +0000, Peter Geoghegan wrote:

> > ...from a PoV of a user or a DBA from field, we need a real GUI that
> > helps people to setup a Slony-I cluster easily -- or say, as easy as
> > possible.
>
> I'm just not sure that PgAdmin actually makes setting up a Slony-I
> cluster easier than writing a Slonik script. It probably makes
> maintaining an existing cluster easier though.

I pretty much agree with you -- but not all people can use cli, or can
maintain Slony-I using altperl tools.
--

Date:
2011/1/20 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org>:
> I pretty much agree with you -- but not all people can use cli, or can
> maintain Slony-I using altperl tools.

I use the command line for lots of things, but I also find GUI tools
like PgAdmin useful. For example, I have a strong preference for
developing Postgres functions using PgAdmin. I think that I have a
rather balanced view. I also think that the ability to organise things
in a slonik script in a way that makes sense for you (ordering things
in a domain specific, logical manner with plenty of comments) is just
easier than doing it the PgAdmin way for any person, not just a person
who has a general preference for using command line tools. If you
don't agree with this, try managing Slony replication for more than 2
or 3 nodes using PgAdmin.

Peter Geoghegan

Re: Support for Slony 2.0?

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 20/01/2011 19:39, Devrim GÜNDÜZ a écrit :
> On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 18:37 +0000, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>>
>>> ...from a PoV of a user or a DBA from field, we need a real GUI that
>>> helps people to setup a Slony-I cluster easily -- or say, as easy as
>>> possible.
>>
>> I'm just not sure that PgAdmin actually makes setting up a Slony-I
>> cluster easier than writing a Slonik script. It probably makes
>> maintaining an existing cluster easier though.
>
> I pretty much agree with you -- but not all people can use cli, or can
> maintain Slony-I using altperl tools.

Maybe they could if they would. But most of them don't want to use a CLI
tool.

And there are probably many things to do to make it look better on
pgAdmin. I never used the replication part of pgAdmin till this week. I
had a look at it and it's really interesting.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: Support for Slony 2.0?

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
Why don't we have a wizard-type facility to generate a Slonik script,
rather than calling the "bare-metal" functions ourselves? That could
potentially be much more useful. The reason that the existing
facilities are a bit of a chore to use when you get past a couple of
nodes is that paths and listens have to be individually managed, and
the number involved increases quadratically with respect to the number
of nodes. In other words, it's a GUI analogue of writing a Slonik
script, as opposed to a higher level facility that usefully abstracts
details away.

I could imagine this really helping with complicated Slony setups
involving daisy-chaining.

Peter Geoghegan

Re: Support for Slony 2.0?

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 20/01/2011 20:15, Peter Geoghegan a écrit :
> Why don't we have a wizard-type facility to generate a Slonik script,
> rather than calling the "bare-metal" functions ourselves? That could
> potentially be much more useful. The reason that the existing
> facilities are a bit of a chore to use when you get past a couple of
> nodes is that paths and listens have to be individually managed, and
> the number involved increases quadratically with respect to the number
> of nodes. In other words, it's a GUI analogue of writing a Slonik
> script, as opposed to a higher level facility that usefully abstracts
> details away.
>
> I could imagine this really helping with complicated Slony setups
> involving daisy-chaining.

We don't do wizards. Moreover, I'm not sure this would be really useful.
But if you want to work on it, yes, go ahead. And we'll see how it goes.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: Support for Slony 2.0?

From
Dave Page
Date:
A wizard as you suggest has been on my "if only i had the time and
energy" todo list for a few years :-)

Date:
On 20 January 2011 21:28, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> A wizard as you suggest has been on my "if only i had the time and
> energy" todo list for a few years :-)

It's something that I'd like to take a look at, once we finish wx 2.9
support. As I think you'll agree, it's important that the end result
is a Slonik script rather than a series of calls to bare metal
functions from within PgAdmin. It's useful to produce something that
people can generalise from, keep and append (if only with comments).
We shouldn't attempt to completely abstract away the details, because
that probably isn't going to work. I think that this approach will
bring most of the benefits of command line tools, without the same
degree of complexity. There's obviously a lot of redundancy within
Slonik scripts, where each connection string must appear multiple
times and so on. Slonik is a bit of a foot-gun. It was designed to be
embedded within other languages for a reason I suppose. Its
flexibility and extensibility is more of a hindrance than a help to
many users, at least when there isn't some tool that makes it
accessible.

I think that users are inclined to add nodes and their paths a node at
a time, perhaps in some logical domain specific order. As things
stand, the user has to navigate the entire set of nodes with the
object browser and add listens/paths everywhere when adding each new
node. On the other hand, when writing a slonik script, most people
will just add nodes one after the other, and append the paths that
relate to the node that they are currently storing paths for, without
much regard to what node each path will actually reside on. I like to
put each node's "store path()"s within a separate, commented block. I
also like to order the store path()s within that commented block
logically and consistently.

I think that the wizard (a term that I'm not fond of, because it's
sort of reminiscent of Microsoft Bob or something) should first
present the user with the option of generating a script that does a
handful of high level things - the single well defined tasks that most
Slonik scripts do, such as creating a new cluster while creating a new
replication set, adding/removing a new node to/from an existing one or
executing a script. I'm pretty sure that it'll be possible to do all
of this without storing any additional metadata.

Peter Geoghegan

Re: Support for Slony 2.0?

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 22/01/2011 15:46, Peter Geoghegan a écrit :
> On 20 January 2011 21:28, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> A wizard as you suggest has been on my "if only i had the time and
>> energy" todo list for a few years :-)
>
> It's something that I'd like to take a look at, once we finish wx 2.9
> support. As I think you'll agree, it's important that the end result
> is a Slonik script rather than a series of calls to bare metal
> functions from within PgAdmin.

Actually, I don't. If people are that interested in a Slonik script,
they would learn the Slonik language if they want to do a good job. The
UI in pgAdmin is a way to skip that part, and this is why it's
interesting to keep it.

Anyway, I'm not opposed to add this wizard if we still keep the UI we
already have.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr