German translation

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
I went through the German translation and removed some excessive anglicisms
and made some other corrections.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: German translation

From
"Dave Page"

Thanks, update applied.

Regards, Dave.

Re: German translation

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I went through the German translation and removed some excessive anglicisms
> and made some other corrections.

Hm,
I had a glance at what you changed, and I agree only partially.
It's certainly horrible German style to omit the Bindestrich, I must
admit that (thou in many cases, writing it in one word is the really
correct style). But I'm still in favour for ß instead of ss... :-)

I intentionally left many english terms, as file, key, query, which I
wouldn't count as anglicisms but simply well-known technical terms. Too
many translations may make the description less understandable (for this
reason, I use english OS and server versions exclusively), so I tried to
find a compromise. We didn't have feedback on this from users so far
(except for valid complaints about flakey and weird translations).

In some cases, the translation will be far too long. Auto FK index may
not get much longer, I'm afraid there's no good abbrevation for
Fremdschlüssel, see the foreign key dialog.

Ich frach mich grade wieso ich das eigentlich englisch schreibe... :-)

Gruß,
Andreas

Re: German translation

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Andreas Pflug wrote:
> I had a glance at what you changed, and I agree only partially.
> It's certainly horrible German style to omit the Bindestrich, I must
> admit that (thou in many cases, writing it in one word is the really
> correct style). But I'm still in favour for ß instead of ss... :-)

The Rat für deutsche Rechtschreibung was in session today, so you should
have phoned in. :-) I don't make up the rules.

> I intentionally left many english terms, as file, key, query, which I
> wouldn't count as anglicisms but simply well-known technical terms.

While that is debatable, the terms I changed were almost all used
inconsistently (which was the reason I started to work on this in the
first place -- using "Query" and "Abfrage" in two adjacent buttons
isn't good style no matter what), so that argument doesn't have much
weight anyway.  That said, I will gladly refer you to German database
literature, which I regularly use as reference for translations.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: German translation

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Andreas Pflug wrote:
>
>>I had a glance at what you changed, and I agree only partially.
>>It's certainly horrible German style to omit the Bindestrich, I must
>>admit that (thou in many cases, writing it in one word is the really
>>correct style). But I'm still in favour for ß instead of ss... :-)
>

> The Rat für deutsche Rechtschreibung was in session today, so you should
> have phoned in. :-)

Yes, indeed. I'm a little upset they didn't :-)
Still, we're free to decide, and we have quite a mixture now.

> While that is debatable, the terms I changed were almost all used
> inconsistently (which was the reason I started to work on this in the
> first place -- using "Query" and "Abfrage" in two adjacent buttons
> isn't good style no matter what), so that argument doesn't have much
> weight anyway.  That said, I will gladly refer you to German database
> literature, which I regularly use as reference for translations.

I don't read books, German DB books even less... I don't understand them
(too many unknown terms). What's your proposal on Auto FK index?

Regards,
Andreas