Re: German translation - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: German translation
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Andreas Pflug wrote:
> I had a glance at what you changed, and I agree only partially.
> It's certainly horrible German style to omit the Bindestrich, I must
> admit that (thou in many cases, writing it in one word is the really
> correct style). But I'm still in favour for ß instead of ss... :-)

The Rat für deutsche Rechtschreibung was in session today, so you should
have phoned in. :-) I don't make up the rules.

> I intentionally left many english terms, as file, key, query, which I
> wouldn't count as anglicisms but simply well-known technical terms.

While that is debatable, the terms I changed were almost all used
inconsistently (which was the reason I started to work on this in the
first place -- using "Query" and "Abfrage" in two adjacent buttons
isn't good style no matter what), so that argument doesn't have much
weight anyway.  That said, I will gladly refer you to German database
literature, which I regularly use as reference for translations.

--
Peter Eisentraut