Schema bug

From
Guillaume LELARGE
Date:
Hi,

I found a weird bug today. If you rename the public schema, it becomes
unavailable. Here is a patch to fix it. It modifies the query to use the oid
instead of the schema's name. Works great on Linux, should'nt be a problem on
win32.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/

Attachment

Re: Schema bug

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Guillaume LELARGE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found a weird bug today. If you rename the public schema, it becomes
> unavailable. Here is a patch to fix it. It modifies the query to use the oid
> instead of the schema's name. Works great on Linux, should'nt be a problem on
> win32.

Actually, to me renaming the public schema appears as the primary bug...
There are many ways to corrupt pgAdmin's behaviour, and you found one of
'em. Renaming public is so irregular, I doubt it's worth changing the
behaviour.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Schema bug

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
2005/12/7, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de>:
> Guillaume LELARGE wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I found a weird bug today. If you rename the public schema, it becomes
> > unavailable. Here is a patch to fix it. It modifies the query to use the oid
> > instead of the schema's name. Works great on Linux, should'nt be a problem on
> > win32.
>
> Actually, to me renaming the public schema appears as the primary bug...
> There are many ways to corrupt pgAdmin's behaviour, and you found one of
> 'em. Renaming public is so irregular, I doubt it's worth changing the
> behaviour.

If you're right, pgAdmin should not allow to change the public schema's name.

It's really dangerous if renamming/dropping the public shema's name
can corrupt pgAdmin's behavior. PostgreSQL's documentation says :
There is nothing special about the public schema except that it exists
by default. It can be dropped, too. (see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ddl-schemas.html#DDL-SCHEMAS-PATH)

It even says that : Also, there is no concept of a public schema in
the SQL standard. For maximum conformance to the standard, you should
not use (perhaps even remove) the public schema. (see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/ddl-schemas.html#DDL-SCHEMAS-PORTABILITY)

Regards.

--
Guillaume.

Re: Schema bug

From
"Florian G. Pflug"
Date:
Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Guillaume LELARGE wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found a weird bug today. If you rename the public schema, it becomes
>> unavailable. Here is a patch to fix it. It modifies the query to use
>> the oid instead of the schema's name. Works great on Linux, should'nt
>> be a problem on win32.
>
> Actually, to me renaming the public schema appears as the primary bug...
> There are many ways to corrupt pgAdmin's behaviour, and you found one of
> 'em. Renaming public is so irregular, I doubt it's worth changing the
> behaviour.

This argument scares me... I believe a GUI-Tool shouldn't impose any
additional restrictions to what you can do with your database -
otherwise GUI-Users become second-class citzicens when compared to those
who use the commandline/psql. Why exactly does pgadmin depend on
the existance of the public schema?

greetings, Florian Pflug

Attachment

Re: Schema bug

From
"Dave Page"

The first thing that springs to mind is that we can only tell that it is
*not* a system schema from it's name. The normal test (oid <
LAST_SYSTEM_OID) doesn't work because it's created during (in
template1/template0 at least).

/D

Re: Schema bug

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> Andreas Pflug wrote:
>
>> Guillaume LELARGE wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I found a weird bug today. If you rename the public schema, it
>>> becomes unavailable. Here is a patch to fix it. It modifies the query
>>> to use the oid instead of the schema's name. Works great on Linux,
>>> should'nt be a problem on win32.
>>

>> Actually, to me renaming the public schema appears as the primary bug...
>> There are many ways to corrupt pgAdmin's behaviour, and you found one
>> of 'em. Renaming public is so irregular, I doubt it's worth changing
>> the behaviour.
>

> This argument scares me... I believe a GUI-Tool shouldn't impose any
> additional restrictions to what you can do with your database -
> otherwise GUI-Users become second-class citzicens when compared to those
> who use the commandline/psql. Why exactly does pgadmin depend on
> the existance of the public schema?

It does *not* depend on its existence.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Schema bug

From
"Florian G. Pflug"
Dave Page wrote:
>>Andreas Pflug wrote:
>>>
>>>Actually, to me renaming the public schema appears as the
>>>primary bug...
>>>There are many ways to corrupt pgAdmin's behaviour, and you
>>>found one of
>>>'em. Renaming public is so irregular, I doubt it's worth
>>>changing the
>>>behaviour.
>>
>>This argument scares me... I believe a GUI-Tool shouldn't impose any
>>additional restrictions to what you can do with your database -
>>otherwise GUI-Users become second-class citzicens when
>>compared to those
>>who use the commandline/psql. Why exactly does pgadmin depend on
>>the existance of the public schema?
>
> The first thing that springs to mind is that we can only tell that it is
> *not* a system schema from it's name. The normal test (oid <
> LAST_SYSTEM_OID) doesn't work because it's created during (in
> template1/template0 at least).

Hm.. couldn't it check the system-schemas by name instead - so, saying
"it's a non-system schema if it isn't called information_schema or
pg_catalog", instead of "it's a system-schema if oid < LAST_SYSTEM_OID
and name is not public"? Or are there other system schemas I don't know
of (quite possible ;-) )?

greetings, Florian Pflug

Re: Schema bug

From
"Dave Page"

Probably - but it's more of a future-proofing kinda thing. Pretty weak
argument though...

/D

Re: Schema bug

From
Guillaume LELARGE
Le Vendredi 09 Décembre 2005 09:21, Dave Page a écrit :
> [...]

I had two ways to fix this bug : detect system schemas on their names, or
detect public schema by its OID. I think it's better to only keep the public
schema with its OID, it's much less risky to have a wrong one. That's what
the patch is doing :
  AND nspname != 'public'
is replaced by
  AND nsp.oid != 2200

I still think this patch should be applied.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/
     http://lfs.traduc.org/
     http://traduc.postgresqlfr.org/ -->

Re: Schema bug

From
"Dave Page"

Does anyone see a reason /not/ to do this?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Schema bug

From
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

>>I still think this patch should be applied.
>

> Does anyone see a reason /not/ to do this?

Hm, Guillaume started a thread on pgsql-hackers about renaming system
schemas in general, maybe we should wait for the result of that discussion.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Schema bug

From
"Florian G. Pflug"
Dave Page wrote:
>>I had two ways to fix this bug : detect system schemas on
>>their names, or
>>detect public schema by its OID. I think it's better to only
>>keep the public
>>schema with its OID, it's much less risky to have a wrong
>>one. That's what
>>the patch is doing :
>>  AND nspname != 'public'
>>is replaced by
>>  AND nsp.oid != 2200
>>
>>I still think this patch should be applied.
>
> Does anyone see a reason /not/ to do this?
I'd prefer system-catalogs being excluded by name - preferably the
exclusion-list would be editable, and part of the pgadmin preferences.
Seems more transparent to me - and future-proof, in the sense that
even if a future postgres version chooses to rename some catalog, the
user will be able to just add the new names to the exclusion list.

greetings, Florian Pflug

Re: Schema bug

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Florian G. Pflug wrote:

> I'd prefer system-catalogs being excluded by name - preferably the
> exclusion-list would be editable, and part of the pgadmin preferences.
> Seems more transparent to me - and future-proof, in the sense that
> even if a future postgres version chooses to rename some catalog, the
> user will be able to just add the new names to the exclusion list.

There's already a database restriction and a schema restriction, just
use it.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Schema bug

From
"Florian G. Pflug"
Date:
Andreas Pflug wrote:
 > Florian G. Pflug wrote:
 >> I'd prefer system-catalogs being excluded by name - preferably the
 >> exclusion-list would be editable, and part of the pgadmin preferences.
 >> Seems more transparent to me - and future-proof, in the sense that
 >> even if a future postgres version chooses to rename some catalog, the
 >> user will be able to just add the new names to the exclusion list.
 >
 > There's already a database restriction and a schema restriction, just
 > use it.
Ups... Should have checked before posting... Doesn't invalidate my
point, though ;-)

BTW, I just checked the postgresql CVS, and found the in the beginnings
of schema-support in pgsql, the public schema had oid 2071. It got
changed to 2200 before 7.3 was released, though.

greetings, Florian Pflug

Re: Schema bug

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
FWIW, here's what we ended up going with in newsysviews:

create or replace function _pg_sv_system_schema(name) returns boolean
  as 'select $1 in (name ''pg_catalog'', name ''pg_toast'',
                    name ''pg_sysviews'', name ''information_schema'')'
  language sql immutable strict;

This was after someone dug into pg_dump to see what it considers a
system schema (AndrewSN I believe).

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 12:29:01AM +0100, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> Andreas Pflug wrote:
> > Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> >> I'd prefer system-catalogs being excluded by name - preferably the
> >> exclusion-list would be editable, and part of the pgadmin preferences.
> >> Seems more transparent to me - and future-proof, in the sense that
> >> even if a future postgres version chooses to rename some catalog, the
> >> user will be able to just add the new names to the exclusion list.
> >
> > There's already a database restriction and a schema restriction, just
> > use it.
> Ups... Should have checked before posting... Doesn't invalidate my
> point, though ;-)
>
> BTW, I just checked the postgresql CVS, and found the in the beginnings
> of schema-support in pgsql, the public schema had oid 2071. It got
> changed to 2200 before 7.3 was released, though.
>
> greetings, Florian Pflug

Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                decibel@decibel.org

Re: Schema bug

From
Guillaume LELARGE
Date:
Le Samedi 10 Décembre 2005 16:55, Andreas Pflug a écrit :
> Dave Page wrote:
> >>I still think this patch should be applied.
> >
> > Does anyone see a reason /not/ to do this?
>
> Hm, Guillaume started a thread on pgsql-hackers about renaming system
> schemas in general, maybe we should wait for the result of that discussion.

Well, it seems that pg_* schemas are system schemas and that public and
information_schema schemas are public one. I think we should exclude system
schemas depending on their names and show public and information_schema,
whatever their actual name are.

I can bring a new patch if you agree with this and if you find this useful.

--

Date:
On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 12:48:55AM +0100, Guillaume LELARGE wrote:
> Well, it seems that pg_* schemas are system schemas and that public and
> information_schema schemas are public one. I think we should exclude system
> schemas depending on their names and show public and information_schema,
> whatever their actual name are.

BTW, it'd probably be useful to have an easy way to show everything.
It's not that uncommon to want to go into the catalog tables...
--

Date:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 12:48:55AM +0100, Guillaume LELARGE wrote:
>
>>Well, it seems that pg_* schemas are system schemas and that public and
>>information_schema schemas are public one. I think we should exclude system
>>schemas depending on their names and show public and information_schema,
>>whatever their actual name are.
>

> BTW, it'd probably be useful to have an easy way to show everything.
> It's not that uncommon to want to go into the catalog tables...

This option is called "system objects" and is present in pgadmin since
the very beginning...

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Schema bug

From
Guillaume LELARGE
Date:
Le Mardi 13 Décembre 2005 05:58, Andreas Pflug a écrit :
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 12:48:55AM +0100, Guillaume LELARGE wrote:
> >>Well, it seems that pg_* schemas are system schemas and that public and
> >>information_schema schemas are public one. I think we should exclude
> >> system schemas depending on their names and show public and
> >> information_schema, whatever their actual name are.
> >
> > BTW, it'd probably be useful to have an easy way to show everything.
> > It's not that uncommon to want to go into the catalog tables...
>
> This option is called "system objects" and is present in pgadmin since
> the very beginning...

And this is the only way to see a renammed public schema.

--

Date:
Le Mardi 13 Décembre 2005 00:48, Guillaume LELARGE a écrit :

> > > Does anyone see a reason /not/ to do this?
> >
> > Hm, Guillaume started a thread on pgsql-hackers about renaming system
> > schemas in general, maybe we should wait for the result of that
> > discussion.
>
> Well, it seems that pg_* schemas are system schemas and that public and
> information_schema schemas are public one. I think we should exclude system
> schemas depending on their names and show public and information_schema,
> whatever their actual name are.
>
> I can bring a new patch if you agree with this and if you find this useful.

What about this one ?

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/
     http://lfs.traduc.org/
     http://traduc.postgresqlfr.org/ -->

Attachment

Re: Schema bug

From
"Dave Page"

I don't have a problem with that. Anyone else?

/D

Re: Schema bug

From
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

I *do* have a problem if information_schema becomes non-system.  For
pgsql-core this is non-system, but a user would consider this system and
like to have its display suppressed for day-to-day work.

I'm still not convinced we need to do anything. Renaming public is
highly irregular, and finally showing system objects will make it
reappear. The schema restriction allows individual filters who likes it.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Schema bug

From
"Dave Page"

Yeah, well, apart from that bit.

> I'm still not convinced we need to do anything. Renaming public is
> highly irregular, and finally showing system objects will make it
> reappear. The schema restriction allows individual filters
> who likes it.

Renaming public is irregular, but if we can allow it without breaking
anything else, then I see no reason why we shouldn't do it.

/D

Re: Schema bug

From
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

>>I'm still not convinced we need to do anything. Renaming public is
>>highly irregular, and finally showing system objects will make it
>>reappear. The schema restriction allows individual filters
>>who likes it.
>

> Renaming public is irregular, but if we can allow it without breaking
> anything else, then I see no reason why we shouldn't do it.

So for god's sake do implement it, but in general I'm less than inclined
to implement workarounds for people doing weird things to the db. I'm
waiting for the guy who claims that his "was-public" schema suddenly
reapperars in pgadmin, while he just renamed it to have it hidden from
the users.... There *are* admins that deliberately rename pg objects to
hide them from pgadmin's sight.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Schema bug

From
Guillaume LELARGE
Date:
Le Mercredi 14 Décembre 2005 18:14, Andreas Pflug a écrit :
> Dave Page wrote:
> >>I'm still not convinced we need to do anything. Renaming public is
> >>highly irregular, and finally showing system objects will make it
> >>reappear. The schema restriction allows individual filters
> >>who likes it.
> >
> > Renaming public is irregular, but if we can allow it without breaking
> > anything else, then I see no reason why we shouldn't do it.
>
> So for god's sake do implement it, but in general I'm less than inclined
> to implement workarounds for people doing weird things to the db. I'm
> waiting for the guy who claims that his "was-public" schema suddenly
> reapperars in pgadmin, while he just renamed it to have it hidden from
> the users.... There *are* admins that deliberately rename pg objects to
> hide them from pgadmin's sight.

I can understand some of your feelings but not this one. If an admin don't
want the public schema, they just have to drop it. Juste take a look at the
PostgreSQL manual :

From http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/ddl-schemas.html

--

Date:
2005/12/15, Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>:

> > renaming system
> > >
> > > Well, it seems that pg_* schemas are system schemas and
> > that public and
> > > information_schema schemas are public one. I think we
> > should exclude system
> > > schemas depending on their names and show public and
> > information_schema,
> > > whatever their actual name are.
> > >
> > > I can bring a new patch if you agree with this and if you
> > find this useful.
> >
> > What about this one ?
>
> I've applied a modified version of this patch - thanks.

I'm OK with your changes. Thanks for applying.

--
Guillaume.