translation question volume 2 ;)

From
Raphaël Enrici
Date:
Dear all and in particular translators,

Just trying to help with the french translation as Jean-Michel is not
available.
I've seen some strings with ampersand behind a particular caracter. I
bet it has something to do with keyboard shortcut... If yes, shall I
respect the shortcut or is it dynamically calculated at run time because
of the ampersand behind the caracter ?
Example:
&Tip
becomes Astuce in french. Shall I declare &Astuce or must I declare
As&tuce ?

Regards,
Raphaël

Re: translation question volume 2 ;)

From
"Dave Page"

Errr, good question. Do you know (or can you find out) what is the norm in Windows and other Microsoft software? When
itcomes to UI design, they are generally pretty good so following their lead makes sense.

Regards, Dave

Re: translation question volume 2 ;)

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Raphaël Enrici wrote:
> Dear all and in particular translators,
>
> Just trying to help with the french translation as Jean-Michel is not
> available.
> I've seen some strings with ampersand behind a particular caracter. I
> bet it has something to do with keyboard shortcut... If yes, shall I
> respect the shortcut or is it dynamically calculated at run time because
> of the ampersand behind the caracter ?
> Example:
> &Tip
> becomes Astuce in french. Shall I declare &Astuce or must I declare
> As&tuce ?

Well we could ask GOD, The Good Ole Doc :-)

Item 4 of the translation guidelines says
Keyboard shortcuts are denoted by a leading '&'. For example '&Add',
which is translated into French by '&Ajouter', can be triggered from
keyboard using Alt + A. Be careful when changing letters, to avoid
keyboard entry conflicts within one menu. If you deviate from the
original shortcut keys, pgAdmin users might have problems remembering
shortcuts in both English and translated pgAdmin versions. Therefore, be
careful creating new shortcuts if you cannot choose the same letter.

So in doubt, retain the T as shortcut, using As&tuce.

Regards,
Andreas